VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 28th, 2011 #21
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Radioactive Sushi

Discussion and Information about the disaster in Japan and its impact on the sushi industry

http://radioactivesushi.com/

The unleashed power of the atom is one of the Western Science great achievements.

So how can we make some shekels from the radiation in Japan?

Japan - all bets are off

Complete economic meltdown ahead

It was Friday 10:32, when I sent an informative email to my Japanese friends, warning them of the upcoming Tschernobyl like event in Japan. Many of them ignored the warning.

At that time it was confirmed that cooling had stopped at the Fukushima power plant and I had seen the prime minister’s reaction to it. From that time on it was clear that the worst was likely to happen, even though several facts gave hope.

Hope was provided by the fact that the reactor did not use Graphite as a moderator, but water, which in itself has been regulating the chain reaction in the reactor. This appeared to provide a small advantage, when you try to prevent the core melting. You do not need to worry about the burning graphite and focus on the radioactive black smoke, which does not let you getting close to the center of damage. However, the emergency team failed to do any good and use this to its advantage.

Reports that mobile generators were brought to the site did not fit the picture and the continuous changing information from TEPCO and the government. Looking at the first pictures of the site after the Tsunami hit, I knew why. The destruction outside of the reactors was severe and eventually pumps and infrastructure needed to control the reactors was severely damaged (leveled). Typically a core needs a couple of weeks extensive cooling to avoid explosive melting. With the damage outside the reactors, this was most likely very difficult to achieve.

Despite all that I did not short the market, I left this for less ethical investors. From my point of view there are just better opportunities for investing than kicking people on the ground. Rather, I emphasize that if anyone wants to help, then buying into the Japanese market would be the best and most direct help you can offer, at that moment of time. What Japan needs is a little hope that at least its economy will withstand the disaster.

And you might want to keep in mind that the disaster has not yet started. Over the weekend my worst case predictions were confirmed by several hydrogen explosions. A hydrogen explosion at a reactor is usually directly linked to a prior core melting. The heat developed by the cores leads to a chemical reaction causing the development of hydrogen. In Harrisburg that hydrogen development was a big issue and the explosion of the reactor was barely avoided. Despite that radioactivity leaked to the surrounding and one of my later study mates contracted cancer. He had been a visiting student at that time.

Studies evaluate the cost of a Tschernobyl around 5 to 50 trillion Dollar, which should be similar to any INES 7 like event. What that means to the Japanese people and government is just out of question. The human costs are even higher. Evacuation of Tokio or the Japanese Island was unlikely and rescue vessels are even sparer than on the Titanic.

The public will bear the consequences of corruptive and blind nuclear power politics. Disasters like that do not come unforeseen. For more than 10 years the media was warning of a super earthquake and Tsunami in Japan. Building nuclear reactors just at sea level is then highly ignorant of that fact and can only be explained with the better cost benefit ratio (as long as everything works well).

From a disaster and risk management point of view, we can see that the chain of command failed completely. A good captain would have evacuated pregnant women and then younger children from the Japanese island. That that did not happen is likely to become the biggest failure in Japan’s history. It might cause the loss of a whole future generation as children are especially prone to suffer from cancer. There are several studies showing that children have a higher Leukemia rate when the live closer to nuclear power plants. That means they are highly affected by nuclear fall-out.

When the winds turn over the coming years, then fall-out will strike Japan’s major cities. I assume that radiation levels will reach severe levels which might reach lethal ratio’s if people are exposed to it for hours. Tokio with its millions of citizens will be unprotected and escape from the radioactive clouds will be impossible as long as the cores at the Fukushima power plant are still heating up.

That cooling with salt water will help is just an illusion, at least for those reactor blocks where there is already damage to the core vessel. It just increases the risk that the vessel breaks down and the vapor evaporates. Eventually the idea is to cool the cores as long as the winds blow radioactivity towards the pacific and stop it when it changes land inwards.

Years ago a German commentator stated that a very courageous general in Russia commanded a whole army to manage the Tschernobyl site. As of today little is known about the thousands of people who built the concrete chamber around the reactor, but we remember the pictures of those few which blew their life while shooting photos on their 3 minutes run outside in the radioactive hell.

We just can imagine the scope of losses of life and drama when looking at the documentation movie showing thousands of military vehicles moving towards the site. Warnings that the western societies are unable to cope with a disaster like that remained unheard until today. We have to face it, democracies are unable to cope with disaster. They are only able to cope with the excesses paving the way towards to it.

http://www.berninger.de/crisis-analy...s-are-off.html

Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Last edited by RickHolland; March 28th, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Thread