VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 29th, 2017 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Playboy is becoming a trash feminist magazine

Most women have probably encountered the otherworldly scorn of a male underdog. Yes, confident Bernie bros and fresh Deloitte recruits will definitely do chauvinistic things like introduce you to their moms only to ghost you and hit you up a month later for a 3 a.m. booty call. But underdogs—and by that I mean men who have never felt sufficient physically, sexually, socially or professionally—cut deep. When you date an underdog, he’ll gleefully go down on you for hours and tell you you’re the best sex he’s ever had—until you break up with him, after which he’ll call you a slut on Facebook. He’ll twist your words to prove you’re evil and post images with other women on Instagram to get your attention. In Ed Sheeran’s case, he’ll write reductive revenge songs that are low-key misogynistic while slurring in interviews about all the women who’ve been kind enough to fuck him.

We’ve all met an Ed Sheeran type. He’s the kid in middle school who you knew would snap if the teacher chastised him in class. He’s the guy at the office who sends emails that start, “To clarify…” He’s the guy who sells you pot and then asks to smoke it with you. He’s this guy.

Yes, Ed Sheeran is that kind of guy, and all grown up and famous now, he’s proving that success and wealth can’t fix a deeply broken ego. Consider his current press tour for his latest album, funnily enough titled Divide, released last week. The whole dog-and-pony show has been a raging mess of toxic masculinity—and his hit songs always have been too.

I actually tried to address this three years ago when his song “Don’t” hit the radio, but my editor at the time told me he “just wasn’t seeing it.” The rampant misogyny of “Don’t,” however, is plain in the lyrics. The first verse glorifies him calling a girl he just met “another mistake” and then goes into a long rant about being confused about her intentions, all because he can’t figure out whether she wants to fuck him or just be friends. (There’s no attempt to think that perhaps she wants to do both—or that a woman’s desires can change over time.)

At the time of its release, it was rumored the song was about Taylor Swift because of the line, “Me and her we make money the same way / four cities, two planes the same day.” Why he would write a sexualized slam of a woman who took him on tour and made his career, and who would later give him a standing ovation after he won a Grammy over her, has been highly criticized. Even worse, the last verse slut-shames his anonymous tour mate for eventually having sex with another guy while posturing the entire time that he doesn’t even care: “But you didn’t need to take him to bed that’s all / And I never saw him as a threat.” Suffice it to say, “Don’t” is one hormonal teen of a pop song.

Let’s now consider Justin Bieber’s cheekily titled “Love Yourself,” cowritten by Sheeran. Before being approved for radio play, the song was originally titled “Fuck Yourself,” and Sheeran has admitted that it’s an angry letter to

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.playboy.com/articles/ed-s...linity-problem

Thread