You are here: Home Sport League HQ League News Article
Search smh: Search in:
Rugby League

'Ten beers' Carney is allowed to keep driving

Chris Barrett
April 7, 2011
Vote

Carney narrowly escapes jail

Roosters star Todd Carney looked sheepish as he left court with a six month suspended sentence after his third drink-driving incident.

Recommended
Click to play video

HOURS after being told he was on the brink of a jail term Todd Carney last night had his driver's licence reinstated after a magistrate admitted she could not impose a custodial sentence for a low-range drink driving offence.

Magistrate Jacqueline Milledge gave the Sydney Roosters five-eighth a six-month suspended sentence and disqualified him from driving for 10 months at Waverley Local Court yesterday morning. However, in a bizarre twist that order was later downgraded to a 24-month good behaviour bond when Milledge was told there was no provision available in legislation for a person to be incarcerated for low-range driving driving. As part of the amendment Carney's licence was returned to him when Milledge, impressed by his attitude, took into account his commitment to rehabilitation and a $10,000 fine and five-point plan already imposed by the Roosters.

Milledge had earlier warned Carney's lawyer, Stephen Alexander, as they entered the court. ''He's looking at a custodial sentence.''

Advertisement: Story continues below

"Your mum is lucky" ... Todd Carney at Waverley Local Court yesterday, where he was originally given a suspended sentence and disqualified from driving. However the sentence was later amended. Photo: Jon Reid
After deciding on a suspended term, which was amended five hours later, she said: ''I look at your driving record and it says to me you need to be taught a lesson,'' she said. ''If you come back to me on any driving matter … your feet won't hit the floor and you'll be out that door. You can't put a foot wrong.''

Carney had claimed in court documents that he had consumed eight to 10 Hahn SuperDry beers between 7pm and 10.30pm on the evening of February 25 and eaten pizza with friends.

The 24-year-old playmaker, a P-plater with a string of previous driving offences including two other drink-driving convictions, then recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.052 while driving from his Coogee apartment to the Sydney Football Stadium for a 7.30am meeting the next day. Despite his record Milledge was impressed by Carney's acknowledgement that he was an alcoholic. She was sympathetic with the public focus on his life - ''God help you having to deal with this with everyone watching'' - as well as his tragic family history. His father, Daryl, died in 2008 having earlier been diagnosed with dementia.

Emotional ... Carney's mother, Leanne, leaves the court. Photo: Jon Reid
The emotional testimony of Carney's mother, Leanne, who sat in the front row of the court gallery, and a handwritten note from Carney to Milledge were also crucial in convincing the magistrate he could overcome his demons. The Herald obtained the reference from his mother, Leanne, which said: ''Todd phoned me at 7.45am the morning he was charged with low-range drink-driving. I could not believe what he was telling me. I was so upset, angry and disappointed for him and also myself. The past 12 months Todd has turned his life around dramatically. He had a great year of football and has settled into his new home.

''He had not had a drink through the whole of the football season. This has been a setback because it relieves (sic) all the bad things that have happened in the past and all Todd wanted is for everyone to forget the old Todd and only focus on the good things he was trying to achieve.

''I have faith in Todd that he can overcome this setback and rebuild his life to where he was 12 months ago. Todd knows how disappointed I am. As the only living parent I had to take it upon myself to give him a real dressing down for not taking the time to think about the things he does and the consequences for some of his actions. Todd is a good son and a caring brother to his sisters and niece. Todd is always on hand to sign an autograph or just say hello to fans. Todd will always assist with a charity or fundraiser when needed.''

Carney, the Dally M player of 2010, entered the court at 10.42am, with Milledge reprimanding Alexander for arriving later than the appointed 9.30am timeslot for his client's sentencing.

However, much like the NRL and the Roosters themselves, who have stuck by Carney, Milledge was persuaded by his determination to combat his alcohol problem.

''Your approach to this matter today impresses me,'' she told Carney. ''Your story is a story that needs to be told if you can get your act together. You have been given a great gift. I gather you are someone that generates a lot of enthusiasm.''

But she added: ''Your mum is lucky she is here with you in court and not sitting in the front pew of a church listening to a eulogy.''

Carney keeps his licence but aside from the good behaviour bond must comply with any orders under probation and parole and complete a positive lifestyle program he has begun with the Salvation Army. He is also undergoing counselling with the Roosters, attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and completing a traffic offenders course, factors that helped him in court.

Carney had provided the court with a handwritten pledge to reform. It read: ''My name is Todd Daryl Carney. I acknowledge the fact that I have a serious problem with alcohol.''

He told the court that ''the hardest thing for me was to admit I had a drink problem''.

Poll: Do you think Todd Carney should still be allowed to drive?
Poll form
Yes
No
View resultsPoll closes in 16 hours.
Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific and reflect the opinion only of visitors who have chosen to participate.

Old April 17th, 2011 #2
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow Todd Carney on brink

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226040598149

Quote:
Anthony Watts to be sacked, Todd Carney on brink

Dean Ritchie and Phil Rothfield From: The Daily Telegraph April 18, 2011 12:00AM 62 comments

Source: The Daily Telegraph

RUGBY league's most troubled club, the Sydney Roosters, will sack Anthony Watts and then consider axing Todd Carney after allegations of another ugly off-field incident.

The NRL's image took a further battering yesterday when Anthony Watts, 24, was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm after police allege he punched ex-girlfriend, Shannon Kiss, repeatedly in the back of her head.

The incident came after Watts and Todd Carney were out at the Coogee Palace and then The Trademark Lounge Hotel - John Ibrahim's nightspot in Bayswater Road, Kings Cross. Onlookers claim the pair left the Coogee Palace at 11pm and The Trademark at 4am.

ROOSTERS
If Todd Carney is found to have been drinking should the Roosters sack him?
Yes
No
VOTE NOW

ANTHONY WATTS
Should Anthony Watts be sacked?
Yes
No
VOTE NOW

RELATED COVERAGE
Phil Rothfield: Roosters, NRL have failed Carney
Gallery: Anthony Watts
League star to face court The Australian, 9 hours ago
Nightclub visit has Carney's career on line The Australian, 9 hours ago
Rooster facing the axe after assault charges Courier Mail, 9 hours ago
Roosters, NRL have failed Carney The Daily Telegraph, 9 hours ago
Probe to decide Carney, Watts future FoxSports, 13 hours ago

Sydney Roosters officials were last night refusing to speculate on whether Carney was drinking alcohol but The Daily Telegraph understands the star player was consuming vodka and soda. "He was definitely on the drink in front of everyone," one onlooker said.

The pair were joined for a few drinks at The Trademark by boxer Garth Wood.

Given he is attending Alcoholics Anonymous and missed Saturday night's 24-6 loss to Brisbane in Gosford because of an injury, Carney may now have his lucrative contract ripped up.

It is understood Carney and Watts live together in Coogee. The Roosters will have no choice but to sack Watts.

Any action from the Roosters may have to wait until powerful club chairman Nick Politis returns from a trip to Greece on Friday.

Carney, who returned a blood alcohol level of 0.052 as a P-plater on February 26, asked Roosters management for the weekend off so he could visit his mother, Leanne, in Goulburn. The drama will hinder Carney's chances of playing for NSW this year.

Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce will present the NRL with a detailed report of the incident today after a crisis meeting at the club's SFS headquarters.

An AVO was yesterday served against Watts, who will front Waverley Local Court on Thursday.

This is the latest drama for a club in crisis.

After reaching last year's grand final, the Roosters have won just two of six games this year and face premiers St George Illawarra next Monday at the SFS.

"We have to get all the facts. One matter is before the courts," Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said. "I will find out all the information from both players before we act."

Asked whether Carney was drinking, Noyce said: "I don't know."

Friends say Watts and Kiss separated recently. Watts, who was sacked from Cronulla, was said to be angry at the break-up.

It has also been suggested that Watts suffers from depression and has previously been admitted to a rehabilitation centre.

Sources claim Carney and Watts became separated on the night from a Roosters minder. There were also suggestions the pair were out with sprint trainer Roger Fabri, who recently worked with Willie Mason."I have spoken to Steve Noyce and we are awaiting a report from the Roosters," NRL chief executive David Gallop said. "Clearly this is a serious issue that the police are looking into."

The Roosters issued a press statement yesterday which read in part: "Steve Noyce said that the seriousness of the charge underlined the need to ensure that all the facts were established before any judgment was made by the club.

"The club is aware Anthony had been out with fellow Sydney Roosters teammate Todd Carney and will conduct a thorough investigation and provide a report to the NRL within the next 48 hours."

62 comments on this story

Old April 18th, 2011 #3
Derrick MacThomas

I have never been able to understand why people are interested in watching (much less paying money to watch) these retarded Neanderthals run about a paddock during a pointless contest over a ball.
So one thugby player is a drunk and another has bashed a woman. Nothing surprising there.
At least this time we were not subjected to an intellectually-insulting fantasy about how the woman who was attacked thrust her own face into a glass by accident. There are lower forms of scum than Greg Bird, but not many.

Old April 18th, 2011 #4
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick MacThomas View Post
I have never been able to understand why people are interested in watching (much less paying money to watch) these retarded Neanderthals run about a paddock during a pointless contest over a ball.
So one thugby player is a drunk and another has bashed a woman. Nothing surprising there.
At least this time we were not subjected to an intellectually-insulting fantasy about how the woman who was attacked thrust her own face into a glass by accident. There are lower forms of scum than Greg Bird, but not many.
Yes, most of the football games that are played in Australia are retarded. Most of the stupid jocks go on a join the army or the police force. Low intelligence compensated with muscles. Bitches love bad boys.

I like soccer.............you know..............the game that involves kicking a ROUND ball around and where you DON'T touch the other players. I think you must be gay to want to tackle other men. RUGBY LEAGUE IS GAY.

Last edited by V.K.; April 18th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Old April 19th, 2011 #5
Darius Appleby
Banned

Arrow ongoing story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick MacThomas View Post
Whatever we think of the game they are involved with, and it has never been the best game on the planet, a lot of the public follow it, and for that reason the personal lives of the players are important.

I posted this story about Todd Carney here because it is about a young White man who is having difficulty with alcohol. It has caused problems with his career and it has gotten him in trouble with the law.

I don't think it helps if we just call him "a drunk" and write him off forever. He did appear willing to work this out when he was recently in court, and now he has had a setback, but I hope that isn't the end of the story.

Old April 19th, 2011 #6
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Appleby View Post
Whatever we think of the game they are involved with, and it has never been the best game on the planet, a lot of the public follow it, and for that reason the personal lives of the players are important.

I posted this story about Todd Carney here because it is about a young White man who is having difficulty with alcohol. It has caused problems with his career and it has gotten him in trouble with the law.

I don't think it helps if we just call him "a drunk" and write him off forever. He did appear willing to work this out when he was recently in court, and now he has had a setback, but I hope that isn't the end of the story.
The public are idiots. The fact they idolise some dumb dropkick is evidence enough that they are stupid. NRL, AFL, Rugby League etc etc etc are all gay sports for queers.

The ADF and the police force are full of dumb as dog shit jocks.

Old April 19th, 2011 #7
V.K.
Banned

Q: How do you defeat the ADF, police forces and most White Australian males

A: Throw a ball and watch them chase after it.

Old April 19th, 2011 #8
The Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
RUGBY LEAGUE IS GAY.
Wingnut,

Why don't you just crawl back under that rock you came from?

Sensei,

I played rugby league for the best part of thirty seasons and it is an excellent way to keep fit. Those who have never played the game aren't in a position to criticise it. However, I will say that Carney is a fuckwit of the highest order. To be given that many chances while fucking up all the time says a lot about him. Maybe one fuck up you could somehow understand but not as many as this idiot has made. He should face it that without footy he would be a brickie's labourer and he has it a lot easier than 99.9% of the population.

Old April 19th, 2011 #9
V.K.
Banned

NOT GAY

GAY

They certainly do love man on man action.

Old April 19th, 2011 #10
The Voice

Wingnut,

The only game worse than wogball is aerial ping pong. Now scurry off back under your rock!

Old April 19th, 2011 #11
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
Wingnut,

Why don't you just crawl back under that rock you came from?

Sensei,

I played rugby league for the best part of thirty seasons and it is an excellent way to keep fit. Those who have never played the game aren't in a position to criticise it. However, I will say that Carney is a fuckwit of the highest order. To be given that many chances while fucking up all the time says a lot about him. Maybe one fuck up you could somehow understand but not as many as this idiot has made. He should face it that without footy he would be a brickie's labourer and he has it a lot easier than 99.9% of the population.
Yes, you would have loved all that hot sweaty man on man action, wouldn't you?

It must have been hard being in the locker room with 10 other blokes....naked.

Dropping the soap in the shower must have been a nightmare?

Carney, like you and most other White Australian males, is a dropkick.

Old April 19th, 2011 #12
The Voice

Quote:
Carney, like you and most other White Australian males, is a dropkick.
I hope you say that to my face later in the year when I'm up your way.

Old April 19th, 2011 #13
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
Wingnut,

The only game worse than wogball is aerial ping pong. Now scurry off back under your rock!
Do you have a dick up your arse?

Thank god Rugby League isn't as popular in Britain as it is here in Australia.

Old April 19th, 2011 #14
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
I hope you say that to my face later in the year when I'm up your way.
I was actually on the Rugby League team at high school. Since I avoided all human contact at school, the dropkicks use to love crash tackling me even when I didn't have the ball. Needless to say I convinced the fuckwit coach to make me the water boy so I didn't have to play the stupid game.

http://www.ihaterugbyunion.com/

Last edited by V.K.; April 19th, 2011 at 03:57 AM.

Old April 19th, 2011 #15
The Voice

Wingnut,

Maybe you need this type of man on man action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUTXpvBTVc

Old April 19th, 2011 #16
V.K.
Banned

Quote:
Wingnut,

Maybe you need this type of man on man action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUTXpvBTVc
Boxing? Oh, I'm so scared.

Old April 19th, 2011 #17
Darius Appleby
Banned

Arrow Todd Carney, Anthony Watts suspended indefinitely

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226041351351

Sydney 14°C - 24°C . Partly cloudy.

Todd Carney, Anthony Watts suspended indefinitely

Lisa Davies and staff writers From: The Daily Telegraph April 19, 2011 5:50PM 128 comments

In strife: Sydney Roosters player Todd Carney. Source: The Daily Telegraph

UPDATED 7:30PM: Todd Carney and Anthony Watts have been suspended from football effective immediately.

UPDATE 7:30PM: Roosters boss Steve Noyce made the suspension announcement today, confirming that the pair would be stood down indefinitely after breaking the NRL club's rules regarding the consumption of alcohol.

The Roosters gave no indication as to how long either player would be stood down for, with Watts' future to be determined when he fronts the Roosters board to answer a breach notice.

The club will be guided by medical professionals in determining the course of action in Carney's rehabilitation, with the Dally M medal winner having struggled to deal with his alcohol-related issues over the past few months.

Todd Carney sack
Should the Roosters suspend Todd Carney for his own good?
Yes, he needs time away from the NRL
No, winning games is more important
No, they should sack from the club instead
VOTE NOW

Related Coverage
Noyce prepares report
Carney, Watts in big trouble
Roosters: How Carney won stay of execution
Drinking again: Don't sack me, pleads Carney
Roosters delay Carney decision Herald Sun, 11 hours ago
Carney broke grog pledge: Roosters boss The Australian, 1 day ago
Watts faces sack, jail for 'attacking' woman The Daily Telegraph, 1 day ago
Fev going ahead with overseas trip Perth Now, 10 Mar 2011
Family's pray for a miracle Herald Sun, 24 Feb 2011

"Todd Carney hasn't been accused of anything unlawful, he has however broken club rules and failed the goals he set himself,'' Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said.

"In regards to Todd, the club's next step will be subject to professional and medial advice that we are in the process of obtaining.''

Speaking at a press conference this evening NRL CEO David Gallop said Carney was a "unique case."

"He's very much a troubled person at the moment and that makes me sad to hear.

"He gave undertakings to the world.

"He's a guy that needs help and the first person that needs to start that help is him.

"But we'd all like to help him get his life back on track."

In a press release sent out this evening, Gallop said:

“This is sadly a matter of a troubled soul needing expert help. Calls for him to be put in jail even for a week show a complete lack of compassion for his plight.

“The reports we have received on his progress to date underline the fact that everyone has been making an effort but the level of professional help needs to be lifted and that has been demonstrated today.

“You also can’t solve them by just thinking ‘footy’ will fix it.

“Clearly some time out of football is appropriate and we support the Roosters on that. It is also a case of being guided by medical experts as to how long that may need to be."

Noyce was adamant that the cases regarding the two players were being treated as separate issues after the pair went on a long drinking session lasting until 4am on Sunday morning.

Watts was later charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend Shannon Kiss and will appear in court on Thursday, with the club to issue him with a breach notice on Wednesday.

"The club has worked closely with Anthony in the past to address a number of issues including anti-social behaviour and this decision stands regardless of what the court decides,'' Noyce said.

"The Sydney Roosters maintain strict policies in behaviour.''

Earlier, Carney received support from an unlikely ally in Sydney businessman John Ibrahim.

The Kings Cross nightclub boss – and fanatical Roosters supporter – Ibrahim (@johnibrahimsyd) has leant his support to the embattled footy star, who is facing suspension from the club.

Ibrahim, who is a regular at matches and team events for the Eastern Suburbs team, has had a Twitter account since 2010, but had only posted four messages prior to today.

SEE BELOW FOR A TIMELINE OF TODD CARNEY'S HIGHS AND LOWS

In a message posted this afternoon, Ibrahim says: “Don’t give up on Carney, he needs help, he has the potential to be one of the great players of our time.”

In another two minutes later, he says “Carney needs the support and guidance that only the NRL and the Roosters can give to really get his life sorted.”

Carney is widely expected to be suspended from the club, having been caught out drinking despite telling Roosters management he was sober.

Among the Twitter accounts Ibrahim follows are the NRL, Sydney Roosters, his good friend Kyle Sandilands, and the sites for venues associated with him the Piano Room and Ladylux.

Ibrahim also follows The Daily Telegraph’s Sydney Confidential.

His lawyer and spokesman Stephen Alexander confirmed Ibrahim was the author of the messages.

The nightclub boss’s first ever Tweet was sent in May last year, wishing his girlfriend Chelsea Mitchell a happy birthday.

Earlier in the day, Noyce called a meaningless press conference at 9.30am and said he would submit a report to NRL chief executive David Gallop by the afternoon.

He said couldn't reveal any punishment for the players until he had spoken at length to club chairman Nick Politis who is in Greece.

That all changed just after 5.20pm, when Noyce again fronted the media to announce the pair's suspension.

Carney and Watts have admitted to drinking last Saturday evening against a club policy which bans the consumption of alcohol while injured.

Both players had also undertaken a commitment to the club to remain sober for the entire 2011 season.

Watts was charged with assaulting his girlfriend in the early hours of Sunday morning after the drinking session with Carney at three Sydney establishments, including one aligned to Ibrahim.

Earlier in the day, Noyce defended the decision not to make a hasty judgment on the future of the players.

"Is it better to do it quick or better to get the right decision,'' said Noyce.

"If that takes 48 hours that is what it takes.''

Noyce said he has finished his own report into Watts’ and Carney’s bender on Saturday night which ended with Carney again in the headlines for drinking and Watts arrested and charged with domestic assault.

Carney’s fate may rest in the hands of his senior teammates after Noyce said he had consulted players in the club’s leadership group, including Braith Anasta, Anthony Minichiello and Jason Ryles.

“I think what’s happened is they’ve broken that trust among footballers,” Noyce said of Carney and Watts.

“Todd’s obviously disappointed with what’s happened.”

Noyce stated firmly the club does not have a drinking culture problem.

“I said earlier yesterday we were concerned. When you’re on the front pages of papers, leading stories on news, not for scoring tries or winning games. I don’t think I’m doing my job, doing my duty of care to these young players if I’m not concerned by these issues.”

Noyce confirmed he met with Watts and Carney yesterday, and there was no sign of the pair at training this morning.

Noyce said he had spoken to staff at the three hotels the players visited in the course of the night and was happy to report the pair did not cause any public disturbance.

TODD CARNEY TIMELINE

June 2004 - Makes NRL debut aged 17 for Canberra against Bulldogs
Nov 06 - Banned from driving after being arrested for drink-driving.
May 07 - Sentenced to 200 hours of community service and banned from driving until 2012 following a police chase in Canberra.
July 08 - Stood down by Raiders after urinating on a member of the public inside a Canberra nightclub.
Aug 08 - Sacked by Canberra and deregistered by NRL.
Feb 09 - Move to Super League club Huddersfield collapses after UK officials reject visa application.
March 09 - Banned from home town of Goulburn for a year and ordered to undergo alcohol counselling after a drunken rampage.
April 09 - Signs for North Qld bush team Atherton Roosters.
Nov 09 - Officially signs for Sydney Roosters following months of speculation.
Jan 10 - Sets alights a man's trousers at a New Year's Eve party, causing burns to his buttock, scrotum and thighs.
Sept 10 - Wins Dally M Medal after outstanding NRL season.
Oct 10 - Helps guide Roosters to grand final against St George Illawarra, then makes Australia debut against New Zealand in Auckland.
Feb 2011 - Charged with drink-driving after being pulled over by police the morning after sinking ``eight to 10'' beers.
March 2011 - Narrowly avoids jail following drink-driving charge and vows to attend Alcoholics Anonymous.
April 2011 - Suspended indefinitely by Roosters after breaking the NRL club's rules regarding the consumption of alcohol.

Old April 20th, 2011 #18
HSN Nick

Quote:
I was actually on the Rugby League team at high school. Since I avoided all human contact at school, the dropkicks use to love crash tackling me even when I didn't have the ball. Needless to say I convinced the fuckwit coach to make me the water boy so I didn't have to play the stupid game.

http://www.ihaterugbyunion.com/
Suprised you were'nt a cheerleader . If physical contact is so "gay" as you put it . Does that mean you'll never take up a martial art ?

By the sounds of it , you were the schools weirdo/drop kick .

You're one of the freaks who gets involved in the pro white movement thinking you'll gain some friends and protection .

Guess it's not working out so well for you ?

Old April 20th, 2011 #19
Derrick MacThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Appleby View Post

While I understand your position, I cannot agree with it.

There are people who for genetic reasons should never touch alcohol. The ones who are of strong character do not drink and are sober. Carney is a drunk, which shows that he is of weak character and little intelligence.

To me, he is a mentally defective drunk whose knuckles leave drag marks as he runs on and off the field. Any time/effort put into trying to rescue this person is time/effort wasted.

Drunks only become sober if or when they make that decision and that does not happen unless or until they grow a backbone, which is a question of character.

Old April 20th, 2011 #20
Derrick MacThomas

Quote:
Boxing? Oh, I'm so scared.
You should be.

Tags
alcoholic, australia, football, peter watson, todd carney

Thread