Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 30th, 2012 #41
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

I didn't know that the soldiers with the coolest uniforms during the American Civil War were mostly micks. I had 'em pegged as Frogs.

Louisiana_Tigers Louisiana_Tigers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LATiger99.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	7766  

Old August 30th, 2012 #42
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
This is not a photograph. This is airbrush artwork by Dru Blair. Dru is the world's leader in photrealistic painting.

This is not computer generated, photo-shopped, or any of that shit. This is a painting he did by hand.

This is not by hand. By hand would mean she sat while the painter painted. This image is one of technology and the tools thereof. What is commonly done with works like this is that they use projectors to project a photo onto a large canvas and every detail is traced. Traced. Once finished the image is reproduced much smaller which has the affect of unifying the image and making it look more convincing as a photo. This is why it is called photorealism. I see no point in this process, and when it comes down to it, good or bad depends on rather the original photo was appealing to begin with.
The use of photos(tracing) is also where women step into the galleries and say "See, I am as good as men." However, there is a fine line here because Vermeer used Camera Obscura(sp). Although he could paint light like no one else, after all the lighting in Holland has its own character like no where else, Vermeer was not all that well with drawing. You will notice there is a difference between the way he handled geometrics, the straight line, and the way he handles whats in between the lines. For example a cheek bone(Zygomatic) has no linear shape that can be mapped out by a straight edge. His flesh looks like porcelain, his metal looks like metal.
Photography was the first nail in the coffin for painting and the second and all subsequent nails were the result of the Frankfurt School. The hard fact is this: the use of photography is copying at best. Copying is not drawing. Copying a photo is like reading something and then calling it your own intellect. The two most common traits of photo use are the lack of a sense of time and gravity. Think of it like this, if you were to leave the room and come back would the person in the portrait have changed or are they still frozen in their posture and facial expression. To not have a sense of gravity in a portrait is a major flaw. Everything about the human body is shaped by gravity, and the story of the body is it's constant negotiation with gravity from birth to death. The two most significant energies known to man are light and gravity.

As for the relation of artist and model, in real time, John Singer Sargent is among the best.

Old August 30th, 2012 #43
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
This is not by hand.

Let's just say that I'm a subject matter expert in the field, and you are incorrect. This is by hand.

Using a tool such as a brush, airbrush, eraser, knife, or pencil does not mean that that something is not done by hand. Otherwise, only finger painting would be considered "by hand".

Tracing using an image transfer technique, projector, stencil, saral paper, pounce pattern, etc, does not mean it's not done by hand. It just means that it's not 100% free-hand.

We can argue the merits and definitions, get all semantic about it, till the end of time.

In the business, by hand means there is no computer modification (or water-slide/micro-vinyl used in the picture itself) to the picture's final product. 100% free hand means there was no tracing or image transfer involved.

As far as the merits of photorealism, there's not much of a market for it in the real world. The amount of time involved in such a painting puts it well beyond all but the most wealthy.......and they aren't really into that market. A good illusion (where you trick the eye into believing what it sees even though it actually doesn't look like the real thing) is where the market is at.

Old August 30th, 2012 #44
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Let's just say that I'm a subject matter expert in the field, and you are incorrect. This is by hand.

Using a tool such as a brush, airbrush, eraser, knife, or pencil does not mean that that something is not done by hand. Otherwise, only finger painting would be considered "by hand".

Tracing using an image transfer technique, projector, stencil, saral paper, pounce pattern, etc, does not mean it's not done by hand. It just means that it's not 100% free-hand.

We can argue the merits and definitions, get all semantic about it, till the end of time.

In the business, by hand means there is no computer modification (or water-slide/micro-vinyl used in the picture itself) to the picture's final product. 100% free hand means there was no tracing or image transfer involved.

As far as the merits of photorealism, there's not much of a market for it in the real world. The amount of time involved in such a painting puts it well beyond all but the most wealthy.......and they aren't really into that market. A good illusion (where you trick the eye into believing what it sees even though it actually doesn't look like the real thing) is where the market is at.
I can see where this would certainly be true, if a painting looks like a photograph, why not just take a photograph?

People like paintings because they aren't photographs, they are obviously something that was done by hand.

Old August 30th, 2012 #45
Hunter Morrow

I did not know this...

The platypus is rightly held as one of the most bizarre animals. It is a beaver with a duck's mouth and a duck's eggs but it nurses. The males have poison glands. But what I did not know is that when they swim for their food they do not primarily rely on their sight or even their smell. They close their eyes, ears and nose and rely on a low grade electricity-driven sense called electro-location in their bills. They are a part of the only 2 mammal family (the other being the echidna) to have it.

Pretty neat!

Old August 30th, 2012 #46
varg

http://www.drublair.com/tica.html

Quote:
Product Description
This is a painting completed in February 2005. It was a Portrait Class project that I decided to finish in my spare time after the workshop. It probably took a total of around 65-75 hours to complete. The small images are step by step photographs taken during the painting process, and the large image is the final painting after detail and skin texture are added with an eraser and colored pencil. The main colors are blocked in at the beginning, but refinement is withheld until the very end. Look for a more complete step by step article in an upcoming magazine issue~Dru Blair

About this painting

This painting started as an exercise for a portrait workshop I taught in 2005. My previous exercise in portraiture was the Vanessa painting. In order to provide the best reference for my students, I took a digital photograph in my studio of a local model (Tica) with my Nikon Coolpix 8700, then printed copies for each student on my Epson 9600 printer. The goal was to work from reference that provided great lighting, good detail, and accurate skin tones. I intentionally lit and posed Tica in the manner of the old masters, but used contemporary portrait studio elements (such as the smile and white background), to expose the most subtle nuances of her face.

Tica has incredible skin, with a challenging range of colors. As it turned out, the range of colors in her skin proved to be a little overwhelming. Normally, it takes me about 7 or 8 colors to recreate an individual's skin palette, and I blend those on the board to create many more. However with Tica, I found it necessary to mix around 20 different colors to capture her range of color. There were also a few interesting artifacts introduced by the digital camera such as a blue halo around the earring, but I decided to include them in the final painting, because they seemed visually interesting.

By the time the class ended on Sunday, most students had reached a level of completion equivalent to the third image down on the left of the step by step sequence ( I intentionally omitted many of the step by step photographs because I don't want to spoil the upcoming magazine article on the creation of this painting). I need to add here that the purpose of my workshops is not to complete a painting, but rather to use the time optimally so that each student learns the techniques and visual skills necessary to create a photorealistic painting. Once I'm convinced that each student has a grasp of a specific feature, we then move on to another area of the face.

Old August 30th, 2012 #47
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
I can see where this would certainly be true, if a painting looks like a photograph, why not just take a photograph?

People like paintings because they aren't photographs, they are obviously something that was done by hand.
The biggest mass market for painting is in the automotive field, (cars, trucks, motorcycles, helmets, etc). Most people that go for the custom paint are not looking for a photograph on their vehicle (there are other ways to do that which are more cost/time effective than paint).

The real purpose behind Dru's class, is to learn his color theory, his methodology, and the tricks to create the detail that he is famous for. Incorporating these into every day illusions (without going all the way to photorealism) will result in superior artwork that customers appreciate.

Old August 30th, 2012 #48
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post

Lets just say that I am an expert as well and I know what I am talking about. Go paint/draw a portrait of someone sitting right there in front of you and see what you get. We will then talk about what an expert you are.
Spare me the vocational jargen, I have heard and experienced enough of it to know it has nothing to do with art.

Old August 30th, 2012 #49
keifer

Allow me to restate my claim from the last post.
I am not an expert.
This is an expert: http://www.johnsingersargent.org/

Old August 30th, 2012 #50
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
Lets just say that I am an expert as well and I know what I am talking about. Go paint/draw a portrait of someone sitting right there in front of you and see what you get. We will then talk about what an expert you are.
Spare me the vocational jargen, I have heard and experienced enough of it to know it has nothing to do with art.
Jargon, not jargen.

I'm just saying.

Old August 31st, 2012 #51
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Paint your house to look like frankenstein's castle. Do it. Now.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #52
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Leon Bronstein-Trotsky was living in New York City earning money as a film extra during the closing years of World War I.
What's your source on that one?

Back to the thread!

In the mid-90's, the eight men most responsible for looting all of Russia's resources and transferring the assets overseas were:

Anatoliy Chubais
Boris Berezovsky
Alexander Smolensky
Vladimir Potanin
Mikhail Freedman
Vladimir Gusinsky
Mikhail Khordakovsky
Vladimir Vinogradov

Old September 4th, 2012 #53
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
They are a part of the only 2 mammal family (the other being the echidna) to have it.
All prototheria use electroreception. All monotremes use electroreception.

Not coincidentally, the only living members of the prototheria sub-class are the monotremes, and the only living members of the monotreme order are platypi and echidnas.

Echidnas are not too strange to look at, but platypi are fucking bizarre creatures.

Cloacal, egg-laying, milk-secreting, reptile-boned, poisonous, duck-billed, aquatic mammals.

When the first specimens starting going back to England from Australia, they were thought to have been made out of the remains of several different species specifically to fool biologists.

Old September 8th, 2012 #54
Alex Linder
Administrator

A University of North Carolina class project found 17 out of 22 fish they bought labeled as Red Snapper were actually some other kind of snapper.

http://bbq.about.com/od/fishandseafood/a/aa091804a.htm

Old September 10th, 2012 #55
Lucky Jack

When you see "natural raspberry flavor" on an ingredient list, for example, you might assume that the flavor is derived from raspberry fruits. In fact, natural raspberry flavor, or castoreum, comes from the anal extracts of a North American beaver.

Yum, pass the jelly.

Old September 11th, 2012 #56
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

Colin Powell was literally a "shabbos goy".

Old September 11th, 2012 #57
Angel Ramsey
Banned

You can repair an airplane by using duct tape.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

Old September 11th, 2012 #58
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
You can repair an airplane by using duct tape.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html
Duct tape is very useful as a flamable.

Old September 16th, 2012 #59
Alex Linder
Administrator

Tapenade (French pronunciation: [tapənad], Occitan: tapenada [tapeˈnadɔ]) is a Provençal[1] dish consisting of puréed or finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil.[2] Its name comes from the Provençal word for capers, tapenas (pronounced [taˈpenɔs]). It is a popular food in the south of France, where it is generally eaten as an hors d’œuvre, spread on bread. Sometimes it is also used to stuff fillets for a main course.

Old September 23rd, 2012 #60
Alex Linder
Administrator

[BTW, this is not the thread for proving you're better than everyone else. That's for every other thread. This thread is a celebration of IGNORANCE DEFLOWERED.]

Neti-Pot - never heard of this until today 9-23-12

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus...e-11/neti-pots

Thread