Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 27th, 2008 #1
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Default Tips For New Paupers

Just something I found. Hopefully no one here will ever need it.

Quote:
Little did I know that when I lost everything last year, I was doing research. At the time I thought it was just stupidity or bad luck or both. But now that the economy’s crashing, it turns out I’ve been out there gathering valuable tips for millions of new paupers.

And let me clarify, I’m talking real poverty.

My wife and I fell through many layers of poverty in a few months. First we revisited the genteel poverty known to grad students, the sort of poverty where you have scary dreams about the rent and eat a simple, wholesome diet towards the end of the month. But we fell right through that into the sort of Dickensian privation spoiled first-worlders like me never expected to experience. That’s the kind of poverty a lot of people are going to be experiencing soon—because I’m here to tell you, it can happen here and it can happen to you. And it’s remarkably unpleasant. You may be saying “Duh!” here but you’re probably not imagining the proper sort of unpleasantness. So I’ll try to lay out what to watch for, how to hunker down when it’s not just a matter of cutting back or selling your second car but having no car at all, having no money for heat or food.
Full article here:
http://exiledonline.com/tips-for-new-paupers/

Old October 27th, 2008 #2
Greg Gerdes

WTF???

I was finding this site somewhat interesting until I came to this:

"Antidepressants. Get on them right away, if you’re not already. If you are, up your dose. Because it’s going to hurt. Doesn’t matter how much Marxist theory you’ve absorbed, doesn’t matter that you can put your fall into global context; it’s happening to YOU now, and it’s going to hurt like you wouldn’t believe. You’re an American, and you share that culture’s values whether you like it or not. So you define yourself by your job, car and house. When they go, you’re going to hate yourself. Don’t even bother arguing about it. It’s going to happen. Just take the damn Prozac. Would you refuse a coat in Siberia? Refusing Prozac after falling into poverty makes about as much sense. Tom Cruise can go fuck himself. Prozac saved our lives. I won’t go into the sordid details but really, I don’t think we’d be here now if Saint Prozac hadn’t extended a sacred hand to us."

I've never heard such absurd bullshit in my entire life.

Old October 27th, 2008 #3
Axel Faaborg

This has already been posted, in the thread titled something like "War Nerd Ends Up Homeless"

Old October 27th, 2008 #4
Cernunnos

It comes from a liberal arts professor, not exactly the most practical of demographics.

Old October 28th, 2008 #5
Brad
Anti-semite Pro-human

'when it’s not just a matter of cutting back or selling your second car but having no car at all'

Are you fucking kidding me?

I would just like to add a big-

HA-HA

B.B. aka Arbiter of all truth.

Old October 28th, 2008 #6
Kievsky

I've been planning for such a contingency for years, though I'm lucky enough to be nowhere close. Had I found myself in Dolan's situation, my family and I would be living at a farmer's house with free food and rent in exchange for work, and we'd be working both on and off the farm for cash to get back on our feet.

Dolan is totally clueless. He thinks he can't do any job except "English teacher." I have a long list of jobs I can get and do well, and I know people who will hire me. For that matter, I could start farming full time if there was nothing else. The only way I can fail at this point is if I get injured, killed, or thrown in the dungeon by ZOG.

Thread