VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 6th, 2009 #21
psychologicalshock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Caldwell View Post
Pigtail light bulbs are the way to go. The only part of the nutcase crank article that I agree with is that the pigtails do not put out as much useable light as the obsolete ones did. But a 75 watt-equivalent pigtail bulb is easily as powerful as the old 60 watt. The 75 watt-equivalent pigtail uses only 30% as much electricity. It produces little heat, which reduces your air conditioner load. And the pigtails last much longer.

Dr. Pierce started using them in about 1998 for all bulbs in heavy use – like the ones lighting the stairway. Like him, I’m not paranoid about mercury, because being science nuts both of us played with mercury as kids; I even tasted it.
Depends on what sort of mercury it is, some mercury compounds can kill you by merely touching your skin. It has happened.

Old January 7th, 2009 #22
Metal Warrior
Leaving a bruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eyedJack View Post
You know, I've often wondered about that. When I was a kid we would get some and roll it around in our hands and then coat a copper penny to make it silver. And, if memory serves me correctly, I tasted it, too. You don't want to know about all the wonderful things I/we did with paper soda straws and little cans of black powder bought at a local hardware store, or about the stolen blasting caps.
Yeah, ya have to be a little careful tasting those.

Old January 7th, 2009 #23
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned

Question Why ask why. Die kike die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Warrior View Post
Yeah, ya have to be a little careful tasting those.

Old January 22nd, 2009 #24
Hochwald

All these bullshit of "protect our environment" makes me angry!

The problem isn't really "mother's nature" dying, but just too many fuckers living today on the face of Earth and producing too many trash and consuming too many resources (including some completely worthless shit people).

Risk the shit people out of the account and what you get as result? Planet Earth will be fine again.

"Protecting the environment" without eliminating the worthless piece of shit people using resources with no pay (or not deserving use it) provides no solution at all.

Old March 12th, 2013 #25
patriot
Banned

Default regular light bulbs

Regular light bulbs might give off heat and something you don't want in the Summer, but in the cold climates they help to keep the house warm. They don't put off as much light either. They are very expensive. More nonsense.

Old April 1st, 2013 #26
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well

Default Incandescent lamps are 100% energy efficent if you also need heat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post
Regular light bulbs might give off heat and something you don't want in the Summer, but in the cold climates they help to keep the house warm. They don't put off as much light either. They are very expensive. More nonsense.
I like GE's "REVEAL" lamps because they create flattering light and that's because the glass contains neodymium. My local damaged and outdated goods warehouse now sells A-19 REVEAL lamps for $.50 and A-19, 3-ways for $.75, so I like that they're no longer popular elsewhere.

Where I don't want the heat, like where I live in summer, I use LED lamps because electricity is so expensive. I've never liked so called compact fluorescent lamps, regardless of color temperature, for several reasons somewhat technical.

Old April 1st, 2013 #27
M.N. Dalvez

If they were gonna make any kind of light bulb compulsory (which they shouldn't, but...), it should have been LED bulbs. They are superior in pretty much every way, except for price - and even then, in terms of $ per light-hour, they are better than other kinds. I mean, they can last for decades with no troubles at all.

Old April 1st, 2013 #28
Armstrong
Banned

Some of the newer LED's have nice light. They're expensive, but COSTCO had/has them on sale at more than half off.

Old April 1st, 2013 #29
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

We have 11 recessed light fixtures in our house that take the Par 30 halogen style lightbulbs. They cost $10 each, and habitually burn out every 6 months. We replaced them with LED bulbs. The LEDs cost the same amount, have an expected lifespan of 25 years, and our electric bill dropped nearly $80 a month.

They are very bright, dimmable, and come in several colors of light - from cool to warm.

Old April 1st, 2013 #30
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
They're expensive, but COSTCO had/has them on sale at more than half off.
This is part of doing things right, generally - weighing up price vs. general usefulness and getting the most bang for your buck, so to speak.

Buying shit products because they're the cheapest is usually a total false economy in the long run.

(I'm building a new computer from ordered parts to try to save some dollars, and while looking at power supplies today, I came across a 1600W one for the same price as 500-600W ones of other brands. So I looked that brand up online, and sure enough, nearly all the comments said stuff like, 'Buy this brand if you want all your other hardware to be fried' and 'If you're going to buy this brand and use it for anything more than a stripped-down word-processing running-something-like-KolibriOS box, there's gonna be pyrotechnics!'

So there's a good example.

Shit, at my age, the prospect of only needing 2 or 3 more lightbulbs per socket for THE REST OF MY LIFE in my house is pretty exciting.)

PS: and seriously, do check these out, they are great for old computers and computers you don't use for very graphics-intensive purposes...

http://kolibrios.org/en/
http://menuetos.net/

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; April 1st, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old April 1st, 2013 #31
Armstrong
Banned

Hmmm, yes on the good value vs cheap price.

I saw some LED bulbs with motion detectors built in for $3....you can imagine how well they worked....live and learn...

Old September 4th, 2013 #32
Anders Hoveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
I only use halogen lamps, they make nice bright light. I hope our dear leaders don’t ban those as well.
They will not be able to meet the 45 lumen per watt efficiency mandate that automatically phases into effect in 2020.

(This just affects those halogen replacement bulbs that look like regular light bulbs, that screw into regular light bulb sockets)

Old September 17th, 2013 #33
Anders Hoveland

CFL's have numerous different potential disadvantages. They take a few minutes to warm to maximum light intensity, they give off hideous quality of light, they emanate UV radiation, their lifespan is greatly shortened by being frequently turned off and on, many are not dimmable, some should not be used in an enclosed fixture. Some CFLs designs seek to mitigate some of these problems, but few solve them all, and these improved CFL's tend to be more expensive. CFLs also tend to have trouble lighting up in outside locations in very cold weather. These are just some of the disadvantages of CFL, there are several more. It's not a solution appropriate for every situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
I have changed every bulb in my house to pigtails. My electric bill the first month dropped by 30 bucks. They have since payed for themselves
Well of course they pay for themselves when the enviro-nazis have been jacking up the price of electricity in many states. In some cases, they have even been raising electric rates to hand out free CFL bulbs! My mom hates the spiral bulbs, but some man from the local utility company came by and they were offering to give 5 of them for free to each household. She was too thrifty to say no. The higher they raise the price of electricity to subsidize "energy efficient" appliances, the more money they "save".

As I am sure many of you are well aware, the state of California is in a hopeless fiscal death spiral. Most blame fat pensions for state workers, and an enormous influx of illegal aliens into the state, but wait there's more!
According to the Wall Street Journal, California is also burning money they don't have on Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs:
Quote:
"No state has done more to promote compact fluorescent lamps than California. On Jan. 1, the state began phasing out sales of incandescent bulbs, one year ahead of the rest of the nation. A federal law that takes effect in January 2012 requires a 28% improvement in lighting efficiency for conventional bulbs in standard wattages. Compact fluorescent lamps are the logical substitute for traditional incandescent light bulbs, which won't be available in stores after 2014."
Despite the fact they are swimming in red ink, left wing legislators in Sacramento still managed to find money to subsidize the forced adoption of these ugly light bulbs. The California Public Utilities Commission has handed hundreds of millions of dollars in state funds over to the electric company to drive down the real cost of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs:
Quote:
"...the commission last month gave the utilities $68 million of rewards, on top of $143.7 million of incentive pay previously awarded. PG&E pocketed $104 million total."
And guess who benefits from the government's force feeding of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs?
Quote:
"California utilities have used ratepayer funds to subsidize sales of more than 100 million of the bulbs since 2006, most of them made in China. It is part of a comprehensive state effort to use energy-efficiency techniques as a substitute for power production. Subsidized bulbs cost an average of $1.30 in California versus $4 for bulbs not carrying utility subsidies."
So there you have it, hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer money wasted to force us to use a product we hate.

Old September 17th, 2013 #34
Anders Hoveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes View Post
why ban the incandescents? no reason, except that some lobbyist bribed somebody into phasing such a stupid rule into being, prolly
You would be right on there.

http://bulbcollector.com/forum/index.php?topic=1641.0

http://bulbcollector.com/forum/index.php?topic=1642.0

Potential fire danger too:
http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p=1590982
http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=122408

Did I mention these Turdcoil bulbs leak out UV radiation !

CFLs actually leak out fairly high levels of UV radiation. It has to do with how they work. The inside of the tube contains mercury vapor. When an electric discharge is passed through, it causes the mercury to give off UV radiation. This radiation hits the phosphor coating on the inside of the tube, causing it to glow. However, some of the UV radiation leaks out. Spiral CFL tubes emit several times more UV than regular fluorescent tubes because during the manufacturing process, when the tube is twisted into a spiral shape, small cracks are formed in the phosphor coating inside, allowing more UV to get through. Because of this, CFL bulbs are NOT an option for me, since I am one of the small number of individuals very sensitive to this. The radiation emitted from CFLs makes my skin feel sore after about 15-20 minutes, and they also strain my eyes. It feels like "snow blindness", and my eyes continue to ache for many hours afterwards.

Although I am more sensitive than most, I cannot imagine all this extra UV exposure is good for everyone else either.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/some-ene...-cancer-244179

Old September 17th, 2013 #35
Anders Hoveland

Excellent analysis why CFL's are a rip off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
I only use halogen lamps, they make nice bright light. I hope our dear leaders don’t ban those as well.
Halogen is a type of incandescent, and gives off brighter whiter light because the filament is a slightly higher temperature.

Currently in America you can buy a 72 watt halogen bulb that looks just like a regular light bulb. Unfortunately, these 72 watt halogen replacements are not really as bright as a 100 watt bulb. The packaging deceptively claims it is a "100 watt equivalent", but actually it puts out 10% less light. The old 100 watt incandescent bulb put out 1690 lumens, the new 72 watt halogen puts out only 1490 lumens. So why can't they manufacture an 80 watt halogen? The asinine law bans higher wattages above 72 watts, although 150 watt bulbs are allowed, so long as their sales do not double (if too many people start buying them), then the current law automatically bans them too.

Furthermore, these 72 watt halogen bulbs will not be able to meet the new efficiency mandate that "phases" into effect in 2020. What options will be available then, I have no idea, but I am not optimistic. I imagine there will be severe consumer outrage when those 72 watt bulbs go away.

Oh yes, one more thing. Because these new more efficient halogen bulbs operate the white hot filament at a higher temperature inside, the filament is more vulnerable to sagging and breaking. The temperature of the filament in these new higher efficiency halogen bulbs are 290ºF hoter. So although they are rated to last 1000 hours, these new halogen bulbs will burn out much faster if subjected to frequent vibration or even if they are used sideways. Not many people are aware of this minor disadvantage, and it is not a problem for other types of halogen bulbs. It's not exactly something the manufacturers want to advertise.

Thread