Banned

Covingtonista "Rick Holland":
http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=122342

Old January 27th, 2011 #3
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtn View Post
I hope it’s not permanent, Rick was a good poster, it would be a pity to see him go.

Old January 27th, 2011 #4
Serbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
I hope it’s not permanent, Rick was a good poster, it would be a pity to see him go.
Yeah he was. Hopefully it's only temporary.

''Screw your optics, I'm going in'', American hero Robert Gregory Bowers

Old January 27th, 2011 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

Are you really so dim you can't figure it out?

He's banned for a month for linking to an unapproved site.

I'm serious when I say don't link to certain people or sites. These sites/people are or claim they are on our side, yet they have displayed shit character. Someone has to ostracize them, and that's what we do here.

I'm not allowing VNNF to be used to promote people I know to be out-and-out liars or character frauds in some other way. Fuck them. Let them build their own readership. And this rule has been plain and clear for years here, and if people are too dull to see what has been said over and over, they're no use to us.

This person reposted a link to the banned site right after a post in which his former link to that site had been removed and he had been warned. We don't need more morons here.

Old January 27th, 2011 #6
Roy Albrecht
Banned

Do you have a link to the list so I can look it over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post

I'm serious when I say don't link to certain people or sites. These sites/people are or claim they are on our side, yet they have displayed shit character. Someone has to ostracize them, and that's what we do here.

I'm not allowing VNNF to be used to promote people I know to be out-and-out liars or character frauds in some other way. Fuck them. Let them build their own readership. And this rule has been plain and clear for years here, and if people are too dull to see what has been said over and over, they're no use to us.

This person reposted a link to the banned site right after a post in which his former link to that site had been removed and he had been warned. We don't need more morons here.

Old January 27th, 2011 #7
Derrick MacThomas

Quote:

Is there a list of such sites that we can use for reference, to avoid committing the same sin?

Old January 28th, 2011 #8
Justin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick MacThomas View Post
Is there a list of such sites that we can use for reference, to avoid committing the same sin?
I'm sure Alex will give you a warning before banning you just as he did with Rick.

Old January 28th, 2011 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

No-links list:

Covington
Brad Griffin
Lindstedt.
The Skunk/ judicial-inc.

Old January 28th, 2011 #10
Simo Häyhä

Rick says he didn't notice Alex's warning or the edited post. He suggests that the Admin sends a PM or an infraction point to warn the offending poster in the future. Maybe Alex's one liner is easy to go by unnoticed if one scrolls down in a rush?

He also suggested that Alex stickies the No-links list.

Old January 28th, 2011 #11
Mark 3 22
Banned

Quote:
Why not just put the website names in the 'Censored Words' filter. You could probably even find a simple string replacement code to filter certain words. Humper Wallace, his website, or any of his Sybil personas could be filtered and output as 'Toe Toucher' or, as his newest persona comes to fruition, 'Beefcake.'

Old January 28th, 2011 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 3 22 View Post
Why not just put the website names in the 'Censored Words' filter. You could probably even find a simple string replacement code to filter certain words. Humper Wallace, his website, or any of his Sybil personas could be filtered and output as 'Toe Toucher' or, as his newest persona comes to fruition, 'Beefcake.'
Why must I cater to morons? I say the same fucking thing 500x and a lot of you dimwits dont pick up on it. I'm not PMing people, they can get 10% more observant...than a freaking piece of gravel.

All I want is people not to link to a handful of sites associated with proven character defectives. I don't want fancy technical solutions.

Old January 28th, 2011 #13
Mark 3 22
Banned

Quote:
Why must I cater to morons? I say the same fucking thing 500x and a lot of you dimwits dont pick up on it. I'm not PMing people, they can get 10% more observant...than a freaking piece of gravel.

All I want is people not to link to a handful of sites associated with proven character defectives. I don't want fancy technical solutions.
Replacement Variables are an actual part of VBulletin software. It's no more of a "fancy technical solution" than it is to define user group permissions, so I'm not sure why you seem so hostile to the idea.

Just for the record, a "dimwit" had to point out the features associated with your own software.

Old January 28th, 2011 #14
varg

Quote:
Just for the record, a "dimwit" had to point out the features associated with your own software.
Except you didn't. Alex and I discussed this a long time ago and he said he'd prefer people just be more observant. Why should he have to block words out anyway? If an administrator on a forum asks you not to link to a certain site you should probably respect his wishes. VNN doesn't exist to give known liars and defectives publicity.

The word replacement feature wouldn't even be effective if websites are mirrored on other URLs for example, or even redirect sites like tinyurl.com. Seeing "http://***********.com/showthread.php?t=236236" all over the site would be annoying anyway.

Now if Rick didn't see the edited warning Alex gave him I could understand it being an accident and not something he did on purpose.

But the issue wasn't with Alex not knowing how to use that feature.

Old January 28th, 2011 #15
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Replacement Variables are an actual part of VBulletin software. It's no more of a "fancy technical solution" than it is to define user group permissions, so I'm not sure why you seem so hostile to the idea.

yeah, i'm not an expert, and i dont want a technical solution to this particular mini-problem, not least because the "solution" you suggest would at 2-seconds glance rather obviously create more problems than it would solve.

Old January 28th, 2011 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Now if Rick didn't see the edited warning Alex gave him I could understand it being an accident and not something he did on purpose.
Which is why i banned him for a month, not permanently.

I'm sure there are many technical things we could do, but as long as we can do what we need to do, what people want to do, that's all we need to worry about. I'm happy with things as they are. If someone has some bright suggestions, they can always put 'em forward.

Old January 28th, 2011 #17
SmokyMtn
Banned

Quote:
If someone has some bright suggestions, they can always put 'em forward.
Ban Alex Linder and let the patients take over the asylum.

Old January 28th, 2011 #18
Mark 3 22
Banned

Quote:
yeah, i'm not an expert, and i dont want a technical solution to this particular mini-problem, not least because the "solution" you suggest would at 2-seconds glance rather obviously create more problems than it would solve.
I really have no idea what you're talking about. What problems would it create? You already complain that you "say the same fucking thing 500x." At worst, you'd have broken links whenever those sites were mentioned, but you seem to already spend time having to delete the "bad sites" from posts. The big difference is that the "bad sites" would no longer be linked to in any fashion.

VBulletin Replacement variable:

badsite1 ---> IMGETTINGBANNED
badsite2 ---> IMGETTINGBANNED

Worst Case Scenario:

www.badsite1.com ----> www.IMGETTINGBANNED.com
www.badsite2.com ----> www.IMGETTINGBANNED.com

or

www.badsite1.com/showthread.php?p=172455 ----> www.IMGETTINGBANNED/showthread.php?p=172455
www.badsite2.com/showthread.php?p=172455 ----> www.IMGETTINGBANNED/showthread.php?p=172455

A Professional Solution:

Like I said, there's probably a simple code floating around where you can direct any bad website, or any page within that website, to a specific page on your site where it automatically says what you say you have to say 500x:

badsite1.com/ ---------------------> www.vnnforum.com/ihavetorepeatmyself500times.php
badsite1.com/folder/file.html -------> www.vnnforum.com/ihavetorepeatmyself500times.php
badsite1.com/folder/anyfile.html ----> www.vnnforum.com/ihavetorepeatmyself500times.php

Again, I don't understand the hostility when someone makes a simple suggestion. You don't know dick about coding, I got that. Hell, I've added php code to strip out certain links from websites I've done; and I'm a fucking dimwit, so I'm sure a non-moron like you would just breeze through the shit. Spend the next 5 years of your life repeating yourself, I personally don't give a fuck. I'd just like to know why, if it's such a "mini-problem," did you blow a fuse talking about saying "the same fucking thing 500x?"

Old January 28th, 2011 #19
varg

You're certainly impressive.

Again, like I said. There isn't a problem implementing it. Alex runs his site how he wants.

You're the one who comes off as hostile. Did you join the site just to rail against how Alex runs his website? or was it to brag about how you can code ?

Why do you care if Rick Holland was banned temporarily?

Finally, who the hell are you? No one cares about your advice

Old January 29th, 2011 #20
Mark 3 22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
You're certainly impressive.
Thank you. I do have to tell you that I have a girlfriend, and I don't swing that way.

Quote:
Again, like I said. There isn't a problem implementing it. Alex runs his site how he wants.
OK. Did you have a point, or do you just like the sound of your keyboard?

Quote:
You're the one who comes off as hostile.
Let's see...I simply said, "Why not just put the website names in the 'Censored Words' filter. You could probably even find a simple string replacement code to filter certain words."

that was followed by "Why must I cater to morons? I say the same fucking thing 500x and a lot of you dimwits dont pick up on it."

Now, either you're incredibly stupid, or you just can't think of anything witty to say. Why don't you amaze me and show me where the hostility is in that exchange??

Quote:
Did you join the site just to rail against how Alex runs his website? or was it to brag about how you can code?
Those are my two options? Geez! These are some fucking brain busting questions you've laid out. Ummm, I think I'll have to go with brag about how I can code. Though, I'm not really a coder, but it just might seem that way to a guy that doesn't know shit.

Quote:
Why do you care if Rick Holland was banned temporarily?
I don't. Why do you care if I made a suggestion?

Quote:
Finally, who the hell are you? No one cares about your advice
I'm a screen name, just like you.

Thread