VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 25th, 2015 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Escape the Tyranny with Linux

Why use Linux?

Many people have written to me over the years asking me the question, “Shaun, why don’t you use Linux?” The fact is, I do use Linux. I just don’t use Linux all the time, because I have other needs that Linux cannot fulfill. For instance gaming.

For those of you that do not understand what Linux is, I am going to give you a little bit of background on the subject when it comes to Windows versus Linux.

In a nutshell, Linux is an operating system the same way Windows is. Most of what you do in Linux these days you do in exactly the same fashion as you would in Windows. Example, when you want to open a window in Windows you double-click a folder. When you want to open a window in Linux you double-click a folder also. If you want to copy one file from one folder, to another folder, you simply drag the file from one folder to another folder. This goes for both operating systems. Windows and Linux.

In the past Linux was a bit frustrating to use. You had to use what was known as terminal, which was very similar to a DOS box in Windows, a.k.a. a command prompt. Quite often you would also have to compile many of the programs (software) that you were going to be using in Linux. In some cases you near had to be a programmer to be able to run anything. This was of course impractical.

These days since builds of Linux have evolved, builds such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint (which is based off Ubuntu), the operating system has become very much Windows-based. Copying files, using the Internet, writing documents, playing music and video, and many other things that you would normally do in Windows, can now be done in Linux without hassle.

Ahhh, I hear that collective question about why anybody would want to use Linux over Windows if they are both very much the same. The answer is very simple. Linux is free. It’s a part of the open source world.

From dictionary.reference.com:

There are other reasons that you would want to use Linux over Windows. Much more important reasons. For instance, the fact that Microsoft has no beef about spying on what you are doing within your operating system. They have been caught doing it in the past and were punished accordingly, so what makes you think that they are not doing it now? Especially when it comes to what you are doing via e-mail, Skype and what you search for on the Web. I don’t know about you, but I do not believe in the theory ‘guilty until proven innocent’, so I see no need for Microsoft to be spying on what I am doing as if I’m some sort of criminal.

Above is but one example of many when it comes to Microsoft’s privacy abuse. You can do a search for yourself and you will find many other examples.

Because Linux is run by the open source community, this means that it is a lot harder to insert backdoor spying, Trojans, viruses etc. Many people have to look over the code first, before it can be inserted into the Linux installations. Because the open source community is made up of people all around the wo

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://renegadetribune.com/escape-tyranny-linux/

Thread