Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > Uncensored Europe + > Ireland
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old January 13th, 2017 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post The first 40 minors coming to Ireland from the Calais migrant camp will be 'teenage' boys

The first 40 minors coming to Ireland from the Calais migrant camp will be 'teenage' boys

THE FIRST 20 unaccompanied minors coming to Ireland from the Calais migrant camp are all young boys aged 16 and 17 and will be here in the coming weeks.

Minister for Children Katherine Zappone confirmed today that arrangements to bring the migrants to Ireland are at an advanced stage.

“Last week my officials were with Department of Justice officials in France beginning to identify how we’re actually going to say what children and young people will be coming,” she said.

The minister said that the accommodation is ready for their arrival and that most of the young migrants coming here will be placed in “very small residential settings”.

The first 20 of the unaccompanied minors will be here in the coming weeks and then a further 20 will follow. All of these young people are teenage boys aged 16 or 17, the minister said, adding that this gives rise to specific challenges.

“My understanding in speaking to Túsla and my officials is that all of them are boys and they’re 16 and 17 years old. So we really have to think about their needs and experiences, boys becoming young men who’ve been in conflict and terror and have been without their families. So that’s what we’re getting ready for.”

The minister said that cost of providing services and accommodation to the 40 minors will be about €11.3 million and that she will be discussing funding with Cabinet colleagues today.

“There is a will to do it and we will find a way,” she said.

A spokesperson for independents in government said that any additional money needed will be made available from savings found in the Depa

read full article at source: http://www.thejournal.ie/calais-rese...179600-Jan2017

Thread