Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 21st, 2014 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Any use for (huge, thick) old computer monitors?

Is there any value that can be got out of these old ones?

Old May 21st, 2014 #3
varg

Don't think you'll get much interest in them. Ten years ago I saw some at Good Will, though they're probably so antiquated now that even they'll probably turn them away.

I had a massive one from my first computer, ended up just leaving it with my ex to lug around as payback.

You can get decent, more energy efficient lcds now for 100$ or less, so there's no reason to keep those things anymore, huge waste of space.

Old May 21st, 2014 #4
cillian

You can turn it into a fish tank.

or a plant pot.

or a bed for a cat

Old May 21st, 2014 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

yeah, i've investigated, seen some interesting videos. not much in them of value, not without putting nearly as much in to liberate any trace quality metals

Old May 21st, 2014 #6
Nick Collings

Default What Electronics Recyclers Don’t Want You To Know

Lots end up here, 80% from the US

Quote:
CRTs piled more than 4 meters high in an imported e-Waste smuggling depot in Hong Kong's New Territories area. e-Wastes are brought here in sea-going containers from the port and offloaded, sorted prior to loading into trucks heading into mainland China. Guiyu, China.
http://www.hesstech.com/news2009_10_02.htm

Quote:
A view inside the burn houses where women sit by the fireplaces and cook imported computer parts. Guiyu, China

Quote:
This migrant labor family lives in a shelter made from bags of imported electronic waste with a tarp over it in the burning village. Burn houses are a stone's throw away. The air everywhere is thick with the smoke of burning computer parts. Guiyu, China.

Thread