Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 2nd, 2009 #81
Alex Linder
Administrator

Three Ramens into the post-apocalypse you'll want to use the shotgun on yourself.

Old November 2nd, 2009 #82
Trevor Dermott

Quote:
Three Ramens into the post-apocalypse you'll want to use the shotgun on yourself.
Haha, yeah, they get pretty bad after eating a few in a row. As a base for foods, Ramen isn't bad. You can also mix meats (canned or not) into it, and I find this makes it far more palatable. There are also soups, macaroni and cheese boxes, spaghetti, etc. The general concept is to slowly stock up on non-perishables with actual utility.

I don't see how gold could be useful in an apocalyptic situation (even for trade, since anyone trading for it would expect things to get better in his lifetime so he could profit, and in that case you're not really in much of an apocalyptic situation anyway). Even when gold was currency, it depended on semi-stable societies. It has zero use in a true survival situation with the rapacious third-world hordes outside going ape-shit because their welfare checks can no longer buy food that's not in the stores anyway.

You might as well start buying camping axes and handsaws from Walmart in bulk instead of physical gold if you think things will get really bad soon, and as I've been arguing, if you think it's instead going to be a slow decline into Brazil-like status (which I do), then there are much better investments than gold. Gold and silver should be considered inflation hedges, nothing more. They aren't going to yield more gain than something like say, stock in Apple. Both silver and AAPL were below $10 in 2003, when I was literally obsessed with precious metals and did, in fact, buy a heavy chest of silver with my meager savings. I profited off selling the silver later, but you can look up the AAPL stock chart to see what the smart move would have been back then.

Better off to get an eTrade account for $10 a trade and buy some GE shares rather than buy gold.

Old November 4th, 2009 #83
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Dermott View Post
Haha, yeah, they get pretty bad after eating a few in a row. As a base for foods, Ramen isn't bad. You can also mix meats (canned or not) into it, and I find this makes it far more palatable. There are also soups, macaroni and cheese boxes, spaghetti, etc. The general concept is to slowly stock up on non-perishables with actual utility.

I don't see how gold could be useful in an apocalyptic situation (even for trade, since anyone trading for it would expect things to get better in his lifetime so he could profit, and in that case you're not really in much of an apocalyptic situation anyway). Even when gold was currency, it depended on semi-stable societies. It has zero use in a true survival situation with the rapacious third-world hordes outside going ape-shit because their welfare checks can no longer buy food that's not in the stores anyway.

You might as well start buying camping axes and handsaws from Walmart in bulk instead of physical gold if you think things will get really bad soon, and as I've been arguing, if you think it's instead going to be a slow decline into Brazil-like status (which I do), then there are much better investments than gold. Gold and silver should be considered inflation hedges, nothing more. They aren't going to yield more gain than something like say, stock in Apple. Both silver and AAPL were below $10 in 2003, when I was literally obsessed with precious metals and did, in fact, buy a heavy chest of silver with my meager savings. I profited off selling the silver later, but you can look up the AAPL stock chart to see what the smart move would have been back then.

Better off to get an eTrade account for $10 a trade and buy some GE shares rather than buy gold.
Don't disagree. Gold is protection against paper falling to nothing. As for preparing for jungle scenario, I don't think it's worth pondering for ten minutes. A) it almost surely won't happen; B) if it does, you can go scrounge or steal whatever you need.

Investing or speculating to make money is a different thing. The stock market is only one avenue, and I don't think it's the best. The only people I've known who made money on stocks were those who were able to buy shares from their own corporation at reduced prices. Obviously many do make money trading, but I would guess more lose than win.

Old November 4th, 2009 #84
Alex Linder
Administrator

Bags
November 3, 2009

Not particularly popular, but often the subject is mentioned, so I will elaborate on them.

"Bags," are 56 pound bags of 90% US silver coins, be they dimes, quarters, or halves. They contain one thousand dollars face of these coins. Not mixed coins, but all dimes, all quarters, or all halves. There are half bags also, which contain $500 face value of dimes, quarters, or halves. A 'bag' will have 10,000 silver dimes, 4,000 silver quarters, or 2,000 silver halves. Half bags are figured by dividing full bag price by two, and adding $50, which is what Brinks charges to divide, and re-bag into two half bags.

They are the cheapest way to buy silver, and about that, there is no question. Currently, about a nickel over spot. Why? Because there is no manufacturing cost. They haven't been made in over 45 years. They aren't being made any more, so we don't have any, unless someone sells them to us. We've been thinking for years that we'd run out, but we never have. Prices go up and people sell. Fewer and fewer buy them, so I suspect they'll be around for a long time.

Personally, I have an intense dislike for them. Why? Because they're so damned heavy and difficult to store. Imagine storing a 56 pound bag of coins, vs. a few one hundred ounce bars. The bag takes as much room as three or four times the value in hundred ounce bars, and they only weight a bit over six pounds each.

People say, "Well, I like to have a few silver quarters or dimes around so I can barter with them." We have to have a currency, or the entire civilization would collapse. Barter is fine between you and your neighbor at a yard sale maybe, but you certainly can't go to a grocery store or gas station with your silver quarter, as they have bills to pay, and their bills are payable in dollars, not silver dimes. Besides that, how is anyone to know the quarter is silver in the first place? "Looks like any other quarter to me bud, and that makes it worth twenty five cents, not four dollars."

Hundred ounce bars are fifty five cents an ounce more than the per ounce 'bag' price, but they are well worth it. Try selling a bag or half bag to someone, as opposed to a Johnson-Matthey or Englehard hundred ounce silver bar. Everyone would know what a hundred or ten ounce silver bar is worth, as its weight and contents are stamped right on them. How much silver is in a 90% silver dime? Do you know? (.03724 oz of pure silver). Of course not, and neither would anyone else, even if you could convince them it was silver. I love what I do, and I will sell anyone as many 'bags' as they see fit to buy. I've got a couple in my safe, and they take up a huge amount of space.

Why buy them? Because on a per ounce basis, they're cheap? Because you think you'll barter with them? Neither reason is valid in my opinion. Does it make sense to buy silver? You bet. Why? Because throughout history, in Biblical times, Egyptian times, French Revolution times, and even in the 1980's, the ratio between silver and gold was 16 to 1. Gold was $850, and silver $53. In other words, gold was sixteen times more expensive than silver. Now? Gold is 64 times the price of silver. Why? I have no idea. Both are historic money throughout the ages. The first coin ever made, was made of silver. Jesus was betrayed by silver. If the ratio was the historic 16 to 1, silver, rather than being $16.35, would be $66 an ounce. Will the ratio ever return to 16 to 1? I believe it will, which means that silver will go up, percentage wise, four times further than gold. When will this happen? Who knows? It does take a lot of storage space, as opposed to gold.

Why gold and silver at all? Even in Genesis 2:11, a land surrounding the Garden of Eden, was rich, because it had gold. Gold and silver, throughout the Bible, are used hundreds of times to describe wealth. Gold and silver, have always been real money, real wealth, and wanted, cherished, and desired. Why is it that when people call us and say they 'don't understand' about gold and silver, they don't know about history? Why don't they stop and think about what their jewelry is made of, and what makes it expensive and beautiful? We'll gladly explain of course, and do it every day. When you get gold and silver, you are getting out of failing dollars, and into something tangible, and of historic worth. When you get gold and silver, you are getting out of un-backed paper scrip, and into historic real money. You are 'hedging' yourself against inflation.

Gold and silver don't have to be backed by certificates or government guarantees. They are self backed, and are the result of exploration, mining, milling, smelting, and many stages of fabrication. Gold and silver will remain valuable forever, and in all currencies. Gold and silver require capital, energy, machinery, and huge expenditures to produce, as opposed to paper dollars, which can, and are being run off of presses by the trillions. Gold and silver are actual, historic, tangible, beautiful, wealth. A real hedge against falling paper currencies. Will gold and silver be 'confiscated,' as coin shops like to say, in order to foist off their rare coinage at exorbitant prices? No. FDR never 'confiscated' gold. He issued an executive order, telling everyone to turn in their gold, exchanging it for paper money, and some did. No one ever had their gold 'confiscated,' no one was ever fined, or went to jail. If gold was 'confiscated,' how come coins shops have it to sell?

One other item: Communist China, currently is producing tens of thousands of numismatic US gold coins, with old dates on them. They're made of real gold, but are fake antiques. The same thing happened in the 1970's by the commie Czechs. I hear there are coins being made of a mixture of gold and tungsten. Ours come directly from the various mints, and dealing with us, makes that impossible, if indeed there are such things in the first place, which I doubt. Most readers of these columns, don't realize that at the bottom of the web site, are three columns which you might enjoy. Raise the web site and you will see the columns. Go Yankees!

http://www.coloradogold.com/archive/Bags-903.html

Old November 4th, 2009 #85
Alex Linder
Administrator

I don't get what he's saying. Silver can stay where it is and gold drop until the ratio is restored.

Old November 4th, 2009 #86
Rick Ronsavelle

Old November 5th, 2009 #87
Trevor Dermott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I don't get what he's saying. Silver can stay where it is and gold drop until the ratio is restored.
He is taking it for granted that gold will, at the very least, remain at its current prices. Likely because he expects, as most do, that the Fed-ZOG will continue printing money, thus leading to inevitable inflation sooner or later (it's already here - just look at food prices).

Quote:
Why gold and silver at all? Even in Genesis 2:11, a land surrounding the Garden of Eden, was rich, because it had gold. Gold and silver, throughout the Bible, are used hundreds of times to describe wealth. Gold and silver, have always been real money, real wealth, and wanted, cherished, and desired. Why is it that when people call us and say they 'don't understand' about gold and silver, they don't know about history?
Once I believed "gold is real money," but it's really not - it has the historic convenience of being a highly valuable, easily traded commodity where stable societies existed, thus making it the most liquid commodity. I think it was smart jew Rothbard who described money as the "most liquid commodity," and he was absolutely correct. Ultimately people determine what money is, because it's their productive labor that gets exchanged for goods and services and people decide what is most easily traded.

The dollar is bound to fail due to the irresponsibility of our jew-run government, but it's far more likely it will be overtaken by a new world-wide fiat currency instead of gold.

Gold's value is based on its rarity, not its utility. There's also the belief that gold is "real money" driving its price. If it weren't so rare, this sort of thinking would seem silly. I might as well claim "Salt is real money and always has been." (true in the past), but now it's easily extracted from numerous sources, so it's not the hot item of the day during these times of Fed-ZOG inflation.

Old November 5th, 2009 #88
Doug

Default A Hierarchy of Survival Value

There's a hierarchy of value, based on survival value. Acquire in order:

1. Guns and ammo (this has to be #1 since it can help acquire everything else)
2. Reliable long-term food/water source + tools to grow/filter
3. Energy sources: gas, electricity
4. network of like-minded allies (friends/neighbors)
5. Gold/silver

You get your essential self defense tools, then have peace of mind in taking care of the daily requirements, then the higher level issue of electricity/transportation, then develop relationships with those who have other tools you might barter with, THEN you acquire precious metals (but NOT diamonds):

"I can't stand diamonds. No, really, they just tick me off, because nearly everything about them is a lie. Diamonds are neither rare nor intrinsically valuable nor uniquely romantic. Those are ideas invented by the diamond industry."
-Popular Science's Theodore Gray, p.70 Sep. 09

Old November 5th, 2009 #89
Leshrac
Mad Science

You know, this rhetoric about "getting the most guns and ammo you can and stockpile food in your basement and buy generators and learn to live like a caveman because everyone will have to fend for himself"... is getting kind of old.

Not to bash on survivalists but does anyone really believe that if any major crisis happens, the US will turn into a precolonial war zone ?

I never really understood how gold could be of any use in such a situation. It's the most useless metal !

If you had vegetables growing on your land, would you rather trade them for meat or for gold, provided the person you're trading with prefers to have useless coins rather than edible vegetables ?

Old November 5th, 2009 #90
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshrac View Post
Not to bash on survivalists but does anyone really believe that if any major crisis happens, the US will turn into a precolonial war zone ?
Based on my experience in the aftermath of at least three major hurricanes I can say that in such a situation there will be an increase in crimes of opportunity.

I was staying with my grandmother when Hurricane Frederick hit Mobile in 1979. We were without water for ten days and without power for fourteen. A couple of nights into the aftermath a couple of niggers tried to break into my grandmother's bedroom through one of her windows.

She woke me up by calling me and I heard them outside trying to pry open the screen. I grabbed my .22 and put a round in the chamber. They must have heard me because they ran off. I then went outside and there was no one around.

After Hurricane Katrina passed through, on the second night of the aftermath, there were four niggers that tried to break into a local business that was across the street from where I lived at the time. There was no power so they thought they had an opportunity. However, it was so hot that I couldn't sleep and was sitting on the front porch watching them. I stepped inside and grabbed a 12g shotgun, went outside into the yard, racked a round into the chamber, and those four niggers ran like rats.

If there is no infrastructure then you'll likely see crime happen right before your eyes at some point. My experience with hurricanes and the military has prepared me for what a likely survival scenario might look like and what one might expect. A complete breakdown would just be degrees greater than those experiences.

Old November 5th, 2009 #91
Trevor Dermott

Quote:
"I can't stand diamonds. No, really, they just tick me off, because nearly everything about them is a lie. Diamonds are neither rare nor intrinsically valuable nor uniquely romantic. Those are ideas invented by the diamond industry."
-Popular Science's Theodore Gray, p.70 Sep. 09
It's the same with gold today, but instead of an industry driving the myth, in America it's paranoid survivalist mentalities insisting that "gold has always been real money" and, more world wide, the likes of Peter Schiff and other big investors who understand that the simple fact that its rarity, combined with its history, makes it valuable. Gold will be going up in the future, but only because of irresponsible Fed-ZOG inflation. Stocks and commodities will be going up too, and probably with greater gains since, unlike gold, real goods are necessary for survival and comfort. Buy shares in oil, gas, and energy companies instead of gold.

For people in America who want to physically own property instead of electronically questionable money, mortgage a house with some land. If you're paying a fixed mortgage and have a job, inflation is your friend. Wages will eventually go up to compensate, but your mortgage payment will remain the same and make up less of your cost of living.

Old November 5th, 2009 #92
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post

After Hurricane Katrina passed through, on the second night of the aftermath, there were four niggers that tried to break into a local business that was across the street from where I lived at the time. There was no power so they thought they had an opportunity. However, it was so hot that I couldn't sleep and was sitting on the front porch watching them. I stepped inside and grabbed a 12g shotgun, went outside into the yard, racked a round into the chamber, and those four niggers ran like rats.

If there is no infrastructure then you'll likely see crime happen right before your eyes at some point. My experience with hurricanes and the military has prepared me for what a likely survival scenario might look like and what one might expect. A complete breakdown would just be degrees greater than those experiences.
I can think of no more frightening a scenario than trying to break into OTPTT's house and then hearing the clambering of a shotgun round followed by a crazed, whispering voice in the dark saying, "welcome to MacDonalds, motherfucker!"

Old November 5th, 2009 #93
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
"welcome to MacDonalds, motherfucker!"
...you want fries with that?

Old November 5th, 2009 #94
Itz_molecular
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Possible , but very unlikely . The two metals trend together , only differing in their relative magnitude of percentage movement , historically . At low extremes , like early 1990's, the G/S ratio reached 101 to 1 . At the top of markets , like 1980 , it reached 16 to 1 ( as mentioned in the article ). Obviously, he is basing his assumption on a powerful bull market .

I'd suspect that the trend correlation of S & G is > + 0.99 , almost unity . The price correlation isn't nearly so strong, but it is still strongly positive . ( IT would be interesting to see these figures . )

Silver is an industrial metal , every cell phone has some . Silver is bio-active, gold isn't. It has very unique anti-bacterial and anti-fungal attributes .

Last edited by Itz_molecular; November 5th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Old November 5th, 2009 #95
Itz_molecular
Banned

This guy shows a 95% correlation, over 3 yrs , with a break in the correlation for one quater during the financial panic in '08 , but it is still strongly positive at +0.52 .

For the G/S ratio to drop to 16/1 with gold dropping and silver stagnant would require a prolonged period of negative correlation , which we haven't seen even in a dire panic .

There are always those 6 sigma anomalies that come out of nowhere . Might happen , but you can't make odds on it .

Last edited by Itz_molecular; November 6th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Old November 6th, 2009 #96
Alex Linder
Administrator

Reserve Bank of India’s Gold Purchase From the IMF

by Michael S. Rozeff

India’s central bank, Reserve Bank of India, announced on Nov. 2, 2009 a purchase of gold from the International Monetary Fund (IMF):

"The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has concluded the purchase of 200 metric tonnes of gold from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), under the IMF’s limited gold sales programme. This was done as part of the Reserve Bank’s foreign exchange reserves management operations. The purchase was an official sector off-market transaction and was executed over a two week period during October 19–30, 2009 at market based prices."

By my calculation, the bank disposed of about 2.3 percent of its June 30, 2009 foreign currency assets or about $7 billion worth, expressed in dollars. These assets grew tenfold between 1998 and 2007, and by only 20 percent since then. RBI’s gold reserves, at market value, were 3.85 percent of the total foreign currency assets before the purchase. They jumped by 60 percent. They become about 6.3 percent of the new lower amount of foreign currency assets.

We don’t know how many dollar assets RBI disposed of as compared with pound and euro assets. It’s likely to have been a large amount.

This transaction has a significant meaning that goes well beyond the dollar amounts involved, which are not that large. It means that a major central bank has actually disposed of dollar assets and prefers gold instead. It means that it regarded its dollar holdings as excessive. There are more central banks in the same position. They may do the same. China had been suggested again and again as the potential buyer of the 403 tonnes of gold to be offered by the IMF. India’s purchase was a surprise.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rozeff/rozeff319.html

Old November 9th, 2009 #97
COTW
Overseer

The gun that beat inflation

Quote:
There is an old and apocryphal saying that "a good handgun is worth an ounce of gold" and it turns out to be true -- at least it has for the past 136 years.
The venerable Peacemaker turns out to be a better gauge of inflation than gold is and a better investment.
Gold, despite its longevity as a trustworthy container of value, has proven more readily manipulated by the government than handgun prices.
Today the standard, blued single-action Army six-shooter goes for $1290, or $1490 for the nickel-plated version. Can gold be far behind?

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old November 9th, 2009 #98
Rick Ronsavelle

How much is the solid gold version worth?

Old November 9th, 2009 #99
COTW
Overseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
How much is the solid gold version worth?
That would be a paperweight, not a gun.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old November 10th, 2009 #100
Xuxalina Rihhia
Banned

jewsign

The Jewdogs are very greedy for gold! Read and look at the pictures. They are everywhere and I advise anyone with gold not to sell to those pigs' pricks!

http://judicial-inc.biz/99cash_for_gold.htm

'Cash For Gold' Kingpin

Jeff Aronson, 36, grew up in Brooklyn, and worked at Mar-Cor Environmental Services, a company that reclaimed silver from film processing. In 2001, he launched his own company, Albar Precious Metals Refining, which melted scrap from pawnbrokers, dental labs, and others. With the advent of the internet, the Jew started 'Cash for Gold'. Two other Jews are involved, Howard Mofshin and David Knight.

It's All About Timing

It's hard for most people to fathom that an economic collapse is possible, but it's coming. What will happen is the paper currencies will be converted back to a commodity currency. Any commodity will do but you need to store and grade it, so picture Fort Knox full of chickens, of pigs, or lumber. The world has always settled on gold because it can be made into coins, is fairly rare, and can be stored.

When the dust settles, all the world's currency, and debts must be divided by the amount of gold existing. So, look for $40,000-an-ounce gold within 5 years.

----------------------------

http://judicial-inc.biz/Gold_as_Investment.htm

Gold Will Be History's Most Profitable Investment

130,100 Tonnes (metric tons) In The World

Understanding Fiat Money

Because bartering for goods and services is too constraining, something has to act as a currency. You can have two types of currencies: - Fiat currency, which is simply an IOU, with no collateral, or a commodity currency, which is an IOU with collateral.

In the latter currency, the commodity to be used must be a universally accepted collateral, capable of being stored in Central Banks, be of a singular grade, and be denominational.

Items like cattle, chickens, lumber, real estate, oil, etc, come in different grades, aren't static, and wouldn't store at Fort Knox. The only workable commodities are the precious metals like gold and silver.

Paper Currencies

This allows the Jewish Federal Reserve to expand the money supply at whatever pace they want to. They just print more money, and loosen credit restrictions.

International Currencies

Their value is determined off the cost of similar goods and services in other countries. If a Ford F-150 pickup truck costs $20,000 in the US, than it should cost $20,000 in England.

Currencies Float

China and India will keep their currencies low to attract business. A web designer in India will charge $200 for a website, versus a White American designer charging $1,000.

Unavoidable Fiscal Time Bombs

* Consumer prices increase 1000%
* Massive Federal Debt
* Social Security and Medicare

If the Federal Reserve tightened credit, as they did in 1929, you would have a worldwide economic collapse.

The excuse will be that an Arab terrorist attack weakened the economy, and that, coupled with 'Fiat money', will probably cause a worldwide depression.

World Central Banks Gold Sales In Tonnes (metric tons)

World's Central Banks

World banks, which are controlled by Zionists, have sold 70% of their holdings. The other 30% is leased (basically is gone).

Why Are the Selling?

Gold sales bring in nothing financially. It's the equivalent of selling your $50 fire hose for your $20,000,000 mansion. Whoever is buying will control the new currency.

The End Result

At some point, there will be a Jew-spawned 1929-type credit squeeze, the world economy will tank, and we will see the greatest wealth transfer in history. International bankers will blame fiat money, aggravated by an alleged Arab terror attack, and will clamor for a 'One World Currency'. That currency will be commodity based, and that commodity will be gold.

The price of gold is determined by taking the world's debts, liabilities, and money supply, and dividing it by all the gold in the world.

Gold will become just an equation, and its number could easily be $40,000 an ounce. If you're on the Titanic, and you have $40,000, than that's what a seat in the lifeboat is worth. Stocks, bonds, and financial assets will be bought for mere pennies.

Tags
deflation, gary north, gold

Thread