Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 24th, 2019 #1
ColdFire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen , Germany
Posts: 2,103
ColdFire
Default The Irish Potato Famine

The rulers of Britain had always lusted for Ireland . .

. . everybody is familiar with the famous 'plantation' . .

From it today's conflict stems . .

. . when the Irish wouldn't let themselves be incorporated into the U.K. the English rulers got tricky . .

First they 'planted' the north with settlers from the U.K. . .

The north is all they ever conquered....

One of the worst things though ever done to them is when the rulers of the U.K. more or less 'artificially' caused the Irish Potato Famine . .

You see , despite , like the U.K. , being part of the British Isles and english-speaking , the Irish didn't want anything to do with 'Great Britain' . . . .

Two neighbouring isles . .

Somehow the rulers of England always sought to control Scotland and Wales as well ( their neighbouring countries ) which they tried with Ireland as well.

Ireland , like the rest of the British Isles , is a very Celtic influenced area ( the original inhabitants of the British Isles were Celts , the Anglos and the Saxons ( plus some other tribes ) brought a deal of Germanic blood there . .) . .

One of the effects also from the problems in Ireland was that the Irish in masses emigrated to America . . Even to the effect that the 'Irish English' ( i. e. the pronounciation of Ireland ) more or less became standard for North American English . .

The times of the 'American West' were very influenced by Irish customs ( drinking whiskey , dancing 'reel' , the banjo etc . .) . .

Today , second place after Germans , most Euro-Americans are of Irish heritage ( with names like 'Murphy' for example ) . .


The Irish began moving there in large masses from about 1800 on . .

Yet , concerning the Irish Potato Famine . . That was unjust by the lusty English rulers . . One could understand why they might have wanted united British Isles yet some of the things they did to the Irish went too far. .

This is not the way people of our race should deal with each other . .

. . denying them their sustain.

. . in this case potatos . . . . .



Last edited by ColdFire; March 24th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
 
Old March 24th, 2019 #2
T.Garrett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lawnguyland, NY
Posts: 5,085
T.Garrett
Post taters

FYI, supposedly the 'bad' spuds that started the Irish famine came on a ship from the US ...Baltimore, in fact. The potato isnt indigenous to Europe or Asia (S America) and had to be imported from the new world to the old originally like tobacco.

Some people think the potato originated in Ireland LOL.
__________________


If you kick me when I'm down you had better pray I don't get up ...
 
Old March 24th, 2019 #3
ColdFire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen , Germany
Posts: 2,103
ColdFire
Default

@ T.G.

Yes , it should be public knowledge that the potato stems from South America , not European . .

Since it is widely acknowledged that the USA , probably from 1800 on , has had a strong Irish influence ( American English as it is spoken today , the American 'hillbilly'-cliche of the 1800s , lol , etc . .) it isn't surprising that the Irish were in favour of 'fruits from the New World' . . .

They were so used to it . .
 
Old March 24th, 2019 #4
T.Garrett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lawnguyland, NY
Posts: 5,085
T.Garrett
Post spuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post
@ T.G.

Yes , it should be public knowledge that the potato stems from South America , not European . .

Since it is widely acknowledged that the USA , probably from 1800 on , has had a strong Irish influence ( American English as it is spoken today , the American 'hillbilly'-cliche of the 1800s , lol , etc . .) it isn't surprising that the Irish were in favour of 'fruits from the New World' . . .

They were so used to it . .
Some botanists are saying that the sweet potato might be from Asia, but who knows. The white potato that we are all familiar with is native to S America, and from the extreme south like Patagonia.

Potato is a huge cash crop in my area btw. Must be getting hungry, posted on the Aldi/Lidl thread too hahaha.

Cheers
__________________


If you kick me when I'm down you had better pray I don't get up ...
 
Old March 24th, 2019 #5
ColdFire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen , Germany
Posts: 2,103
ColdFire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
Some botanists are saying that the sweet potato might be from Asia, but who knows.
. . there is the theory around that the 'Injuns' came to the Americas from Asia , even though that theory is disputed . . North American tribes and South American Indios ( on a side note , we all know Columbus first had thought to have discovered India , so he called the people he met 'los Indios' , lol , that still lives on in Middle- / South-America ) . . Even though I do not take either of these groups ( North- , South-American ones ) for civilzed enough that they would take whole cultures of crops with them on their journey , lol . .

North American Injuns were more or less nomads "hunting that buffalo" , South American Indios were savages ( one shouldn't be blinded by the fact that their supposed 'pyramid-culture' is always so held up high , they were a wild bunch . .) . .

Quote:
The white potato that we are all familiar with is native to S America, and from the extreme south like Patagonia.

Potato is a huge cash crop in my area btw. Must be getting hungry, posted on the Aldi/Lidl thread too hahaha.

Cheers
Cheers . .

. . hmmmm . . don't know why yet every thread about Ireland here ( the last one I set up was the 'St. Patrick's Day'-thread ) makes me thirsty for whiskey , lol . .

Maybe time to just sit down , relax and get on my neverending-stockpile of good Irish Tullamore Dew I still hold in the 'party-room' . . .

lol . . taking it easy though , gotta get up early tomorrow morning . . ( it's about 6 PM where I live )
 
Old March 25th, 2019 #6
Ray Allan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,664
Ray Allan
Default

Quote:
. . hmmmm . . don't know why yet every thread about Ireland here ( the last one I set up was the 'St. Patrick's Day'-thread ) makes me thirsty for whiskey , lol . .

Maybe time to just sit down , relax and get on my neverending-stockpile of good Irish Tullamore Dew I still hold in the 'party-room' . . .
Perhaps tomorrow I will have some Jameson's and watch Becky Lynch on WWE Smackdown Live.
__________________
"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor
 
Reply

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.
Page generated in 0.09971 seconds.