VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 31st, 2014 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Solid Thinking and Habits Thread

Life Hacks ‏@TipsForYouDaily 12m
We tend to believe others pay attention to our behavior and appearance much more than they actually do. This is called the spotlight effect

[this is a huge thing. most things are not about you or directed at you. it just seems like that from where you are standing. next time you ASSUME someone is doing something to hurt you, go over it very carefully to make sure that you are correct. more often than not the person is doing something for INTERNAL reasons that don't have a goddam thing to do with you - it just FEELS that way from where you are standing. other people, remember, are as self-absorbed in their problems and wants and needs as you are.]

Old April 1st, 2014 #2
M.N. Dalvez

Natural talent, contrary to what 'some people' would have you believe, is a real phenomenon. Some people are naturally talented in certain areas.

But natural talent will only get you so far, and no further.

The best and brightest in any field are the ones who work the hardest and are the most obsessed with making progress.

To become a force to be reckoned with in your chosen field of enterprise, you have to work hard at it, every day.

Or no matter your level of natural talent, you'll always just be a second-stringer.

Which may or may not be good enough for you. But come on, White Man or White Woman, you can do better than that! Your birthright is nothing less than the best!

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; April 1st, 2014 at 02:09 AM.

Old April 5th, 2014 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

"Action this day" - don't put stuff off. Your reason for not doing something today - tomorrow you'll find another good one. If you need to get it done and can do it today, do it.

- don't be a perfectionist. Get it as good as you can, then let it go. Correct it later if others find flaws. Focus on getting stuff done, not being concerned their might be one tiny thing wrong with it.

habits

- i find, the older i get, sleeping before midnight is much more productive than after it, which is much lower quality sleep. for work, best thing is to go to bed early and get up well before dawn and (write) for hours, until noon. fewer interruptions, can think most clearly, can get the most done.

- don't mess with crap like email all the time. phones are other instruments of torture and devices for wasting time. facebook is a waste of time.

- get rid of stuff you don't actually use at least once every few months. if you dont use it even once a year, why are you allowing it to take up your physical and mind space? it's just an inanimate pet that brings you nothing. get rid of it.

Old April 5th, 2014 #4
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
Natural talent, contrary to what 'some people' would have you believe, is a real phenomenon. Some people are naturally talented in certain areas.

But natural talent will only get you so far, and no further.

The best and brightest in any field are the ones who work the hardest and are the most obsessed with making progress.

To become a force to be reckoned with in your chosen field of enterprise, you have to work hard at it, every day.

Or no matter your level of natural talent, you'll always just be a second-stringer.

Which may or may not be good enough for you. But come on, White Man or White Woman, you can do better than that! Your birthright is nothing less than the best!
Talent is NOT the Answer

By Douglas Niedt

New research shows that becoming an exceptional performer has little to do with any innate
talent or skill. Exceptional people are not gifted. They are not born geniuses. Exceptional
performers are a product of:

1. Deliberate practice
2. Enthusiastic family support or support by a mentor throughout their developing years
3. Study with devoted teachers or coaches

The amount and quality of practice are key factors that determine the level of mastery a person
achieves. Consistently and overwhelmingly, the evidence shows that exceptional performers
are always made, not born....

http://douglasniedt.com/Tech_Tip_Tal...he_Answer.html

Old April 9th, 2014 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

I am not what has happened to me. I am what I choose to become. Carl Jung

That's not wholly true, you are what has happened to you. But you live going forward, and psychiatrists have prepared a trap, profitable to them, unprofitable to you, in telling you that you need to go back and rehash all the wrongs done you to find the way forward. You don't. Reflect on what's happened, draw the best lessons you can, move forward.

"Yesterday's....got nothing for me." --Axl Rose

Old April 9th, 2014 #6
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Leonardo da Vinci

Old April 10th, 2014 #7
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Don't ever loan money to people without sufficient collateral. I mean anyone. If you want to give monies to them, with absolutely no expectation of repayment, that's cool. Like that J.G. Wentworth mummy says: It's your money.

The problem is when you loan someone money, they immediately, if only subconsciously, begin to harbor a small amount (or a large amount, depending on the talking monkey in question) of resentment towards you.

Same with borrowing money from people. Don't do it. They'll never look at you the same.

Old April 10th, 2014 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Don't ever loan money to people without sufficient collateral. I mean anyone. If you want to give monies to them, with absolutely no expectation of repayment, that's cool. Like that J.G. Wentworth mummy says: It's your money.

The problem is when you loan someone money, they immediately, if only subconsciously, begin to harbor a small amount (or a large amount, depending on the talking monkey in question) of resentment towards you.

Same with borrowing money from people. Don't do it. They'll never look at you the same.
Good points.

Basically, for family and friends, you're almost better either giving them the money or not. Loans are fraught unless people are basically reliable. Even then, you should get a signed contract, even if it's not drawn up by a lawyer.

The truth is, and this is for whites, not just niggers, lack of money is rarely the problem. Lack of money is much more often a symptom. If that's true, then adding money won't solve the problem. So you think you are helping someone by giving him or her money, but as often you're simply enabling or exacerbating.

"Helping" someone via a loan or such is as difficult as any other activity. You have to figure out what the person actually needs, which is not easy, and which that person is often resistant to.

But giving is better than loaning - for the giver. Because it liberates you psychologically. There's nothing worse than having someone owe you and not being paid, you think about it continually, and blame yourself and them, and it just ramifies a thousand negative ways. Whereas if you gave them the money, you're free as a bird mentally.

The WASP disease also kicks in here: "This is me being helpful." Are you actually helping the person in question? Are you truly thinking about what's best for them? Or are you doing this primarily as proof/a way to feel good about yourself, like going off to help the little niggers in Haiti?

Helping someone is not as easy a thing as it seems.

Last edited by Alex Linder; April 10th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Old April 10th, 2014 #9
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry." - Steve Buscemi

I recently lost a friend I'd had for 40 years over him constantly forgetting he owed me money. I may not need it asshole, but I want it.

Old April 10th, 2014 #10
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry." - Steve Buscemi

I recently lost a friend I'd had for 40 years over him constantly forgetting he owed me money. I may not need it asshole, but I want it.
Thing is, most don't believe in causality, they believe in luck. So if you have more money than they do...it's because you're luckier than they are. For some unknown reason, fortune favored you. Not because you worked harder, lived more frugally, saved more, etc.

I'm not kidding. That's their deepest belief. And it explains the resentment you mention, and it's the reason they basically feel they are just getting what's due them no matter it's a loan not a gift.

Old April 10th, 2014 #11
David Langdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Thing is, most don't believe in causality, they believe in luck. So if you have more money than they do...it's because you're luckier than they are. For some unknown reason, fortune favored you. Not because you worked harder, lived more frugally, saved more, etc.

I'm not kidding. That's their deepest belief. And it explains the resentment you mention, and it's the reason they basically feel they are just getting what's due them no matter it's a loan not a gift.
I cringe whenever I hear or see people (usually women) state "things happen for a reason" or words to that effect as if we're preordained to some star-written fate. Sure fire way to get bounced around like a pinball your entire life by people who know how to plan set goals and achieve, and yes I have been guilty of it that's how I know lol.

Old April 10th, 2014 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Langdon View Post
I cringe whenever I hear or see people (usually women) state "things happen for a reason" or words to that effect as if we're preordained to some star-written fate. Sure fire way to get bounced around like a pinball your entire life by people who know how to plan set goals and achieve, and yes I have been guilty of it that's how I know lol.
That's exactly right. You are in control of what happens to you. Just dodge a tomato or tornado here and there, it's all on you and for you and up to you. That's too frightening to most people, so they take refuge in church or astrology or some other pinhead fantasy.

"Everything happens for a reason"

yet

"God works in mysterious ways."

These add up to: everything happens because of God for a reason that can't be discerned until after the fact, ie at all.

It's beyond ridiculous, it's pathetic. But I really doubt much can be done about it. There will always be a market for selling people that god exists and needs to be prayed to and will solve your problems.

Last edited by Alex Linder; April 10th, 2014 at 06:15 PM.

Old April 11th, 2014 #13
robert burns

"Action this day" - don't put stuff off. Your reason for not doing something today - tomorrow you'll find another good one. If you need to get it done and can do it today, do it.

One of my problems. Lately I have found actually writing down what I want done on certain days helps me. I'm not lazy and will bust ass if I can just start.

Old May 18th, 2014 #14
ericthered
Idle Anger

Click image for larger version

Name:	make a plan.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	9064

Simple concept, and effective. Just need to do it.

Another variation often quoted by a successful old woman I know is, "Plan your work and work your plan."

Old September 8th, 2014 #15
Alex Linder
Administrator

[not saying everything in this is right, but it's more right than wrong - it goes contrary to much of what you hear. whatever you hear in the controlled media is likely to be wrong - ie, college is some great thing that pays off hugely - lie, grains are good for you, fat is the problem not carbs, diversity is good rather than bad, there are WMD in Iraq we need to worry about, and on and on...]

The Secrets of Personal Finance
By James Altucher
The Altucher Confidential
September 8, 2014

I managed to totally screw things up for myself at the ages of 20, 22, 24, 29, 33, 37, and 40 so I decided to write everything I know about so-called “personal finance”. The words personal finance are a total scam but I’ll save that for another time. Let’s just say, this is about how to build wealth and preserve your wealth.

The things you need to know.

The first answer is: nothing. You need to know absolutely nothing about personal finance. Buying a cheap beer versus buying an expensive beer will not help you get rich.

But, that seems cynical. So let me say congratulations first. You’re 20 years old! Yay!

I can’t even really remember 20 years old. I started my first business then. And failed at it. But that’s another story.
When I was 22 I was thrown out of graduate school and then fired from 3 jobs in a row at higher and higher salaries where I saved nothing.

When I was 24 I moved to NYC and began the first of about ten career changes. The first rule of personal finance is that it’s not personal and it’s not financial. It’s about your ability to make ten changes and not get too depressed over it.

During those career changes I made a lot of money. Then lost a lot. Then made a lot. Then lost a lot. Then made a lot more.

I did this so many times I made a study of what was working for me on the way up. And what wasn’t working on the way down.

So I’m not an expert on anything. I just know WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME to create massive success. I’m admitting it right now. I’m not just a failure.

First off, don’t bother saving money. You get more money in the bank by making more money. That’s rule #1.

People might think this is flippant. What if they can’t make more money. Well, then, you’re going to run out of money. No personal finance rule will help.
Buying coffee on the street instead of in a Starbucks is the poor man’s way to get rich. In other words, you will never get rich by scratching out ten cents from your dollar.

People save 10 cents on a coffee and then….overpay $100,000 for a house and then do reconstruction on it.

Or they save 10 cents on a book and then…buy a college degree that they never use for $200,000.

Now your real education can begin:

A) Don’t save money. Make more. If you think this is not so easy then remember: whatever direction you are walking in, eventually you get there.

B) That said, don’t spend money on the BIGGEST expenses in life. House and college (and kids and marriage but, of course, there are exceptions there). Just saving on these two things alone is worth over a million dollars in your bank account.

C) But doesn’t renting flush money down the toilet? No, it doesn’t. Do the math. You can argue all you want but the math is very clear as long as you are not lying to yourself.

D) Haven’t studies shown that college graduates make more money 20 years later?

No, studies have not shown that. They show correlation but not causation and they don’t take into account multi-collinearity (it could be that the children of middle class families have higher paying jobs later and, oh by the way, these children also go to college).

E) Don’t invest in anything that you can’t directly control every aspect of. In other words…yourself.

In other words:

You can’t make or save money from a salary.And salaries have been going down versus inflation for 40 years. So don’t count on a salary. You’re 20, please take this advice alone if you take any advice at all.
Investing is a tax on the middle class. There are at least 5 levels of fees stripped out of your hard-earned cash before your money touches an investment.
F) If you want to make money you have to learn the following skills. None of these skills are taught in college.

I’m not saying college is awful or about money, etc. I’m just saying that the only skills needed to make money will never be learned in college:

- how to sell (both in a presentation and via copywriting)
- how to negotiate (which means win-win, not war)
- creativity (take out a pad, write down a list of ideas, every day)
- leadership (give more to others than you expect back for yourself)
- networking (a corollary of leadership)
- how to live by themes instead of goals (goals will break your heart)
- reinvention (which will happen repeatedly throughout a life)
i- dea sex (get good at coming up with ideas. Then combine them. Master the intersection)
- the 1% rule (every week try to get better 1% physically, emotionally, mentally)
- “the google rule” – always send people to the best resource, even if it’s a competitor. The benefit to you comes back tenfold
give constantly to the people in your network. The value of your network increase linearly if you get to know more people but EXPONENTIALLY if the people you know, get to know and help each other.
- how to fail so that a failure turns into a beginning
- simple tools to increase productivity
- how to master a field. You can’t learn this in school with each “field” being regimented into equal 50 minute periods. Mastery begins when formal education ends. Find the topic that sets your heart on fire. Then combust.
- stopping the noise: news, advice books, fees upon fees in almost every area of life. Create your own noise instead of falling in life with the others.

If you do all this you will gradually make more and more money and help more and more people. At least, I’ve seen it happen for me and for others.

I hope this doesn’t sound arrogant. I’ve messed up too much by not following the above advice.

Don’t plagiarize the lives of your parents, your peers, your teachers, your colleagues, your bosses.

Create your own life.

Be the criminal of their rules.

I wish I were you because if you follow the above, then you will most likely end up doing what you love and getting massively rich and helping many others.

I didn’t do that when I was 20. But now, at 46, I’m really grateful I have the chance every day to wake up and improve 1%.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/j...to-doing-well/

Old October 21st, 2014 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Harvard Says The Best Thinkers Have These 7 'Thinking Dispositions'

DRAKE BAER

OCT. 10, 2014'

Harvard education scholar Shari Tishman wants to ask you two questions:

• Can you play the piano?

• Do you play the piano?

The queries are less similar than they seem — and they tell you something about how you learn.

"These are different questions," she writes, "and your answer may well be 'yes' to the first and 'no' to the second."

How so?

"The first question asks about ability," she continues in a 1992 paper. "If you sat down in front of a piano, could you play a tune? The second tacitly asks much more ─ it goes beyond ability and asks about inclination: Are you disposed to play the piano? Do you like to play? Do you play regularly?"

This same distinction — between ability and inclination — extends into our mental lives, Tishman says.

For instance, research into reasoning shows that people can make arguments for either side of an issue when they're led through the process, showing that they have the ability. But people usually don't evaluate both sides, since they don't have the disposition.

So if you want to be more inclined to critical thinking, you need to know what's in your toolbox, just as Warren Buffett would have you do.

"Being a good thinker means having the right thinking disposition," Tishman says, because otherwise you'll never make full use of your abilities.

There are seven such thinking dispositions. They are:

Quote:
1. The disposition to be broad and adventurous: The tendency to be open-minded, to explore alternative views; an alertness to narrow thinking; the ability to generate multiple options.

2. The disposition toward sustained intellectual curiosity: The tendency to wonder, probe, find problems, a zest for inquiry; an alertness for anomalies; the ability to observe closely and formulate questions.

3. The disposition to clarify and seek understanding: A desire to understand clearly, to seek connections and explanations; an alertness to unclarity and need for focus; an ability to build conceptualizations.

4. The disposition to be planful and strategic: The drive to set goals, to make and execute plans, to envision outcomes; alertness to lack of direction; the ability to formulate goals and plans.

5. The disposition to be intellectually careful: The urge for precision, organization, thoroughness; an alertness to possible error or inaccuracy; the ability to process information precisely.

6. The disposition to seek and evaluate reasons: The tendency to question the given, to demand justification; an alertness to the need for evidence; the ability to weigh and assess reasons.

7. The disposition be metacognitive: The tendency to be aware of and monitor the flow of one's own thinking; alertness to complex thinking situations; the ability to exercise control of mental processes and to be reflective.
Put together — and used in the appropriate situations — these tendencies allow people to fully engage with knotty intellectual problems.

There's another benefit to having this outlook. The developmental psychologist Carol Dweck has shown that having a growth mindset — where you think your outcomes come through effort rather than innate talent — leads to success for kids and grownups alike.

Thinking about your thinking dispositions — rather than how innately smart you are — helps cultivate that attitude.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/harva...#ixzz3GoZda5SI

Old October 21st, 2014 #17
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
4. The disposition to be planful and strategic: The drive to set goals, to make and execute plans, to envision outcomes; alertness to lack of direction; the ability to formulate goals and plans.
More of this in the WN movement would be pretty tits.

Old October 22nd, 2014 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
That's what we lost when Pierce died, more than anything else: someone really smart focused on the over-view.

Notice the principles are pretty much the complete opposite of the religious mindset. Faith and belief are seen as good things by the average man, but in reality they are simply covers for laziness and low ability.

Old October 22nd, 2014 #19
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
People get into this "at least we're doing something" mindset that is quite wrong. Whatever is done, not to be a waste, should be part of a plan aimed at white sovereignty. There is no divorced, discrete way of doing little things that adds up to something greater, there must be an actual strategic plan.

Old May 15th, 2015 #20
Alex Linder
Administrator

A psychiatrist says this skill is the best indicator of a person's ability to succeed
Business Insider

By Jacquelyn Smith 5 hours ago

We all face obstacles in our lives and careers — and while they can make us better and stronger, they can also put us over the edge.

Turns out, the ability to get over those hurdles and persevere is the strongest sign of our ability to succeed, according to Mark Goulston, a psychiatrist, author, and former FBI hostage-negotiation trainer.

"Possessing the skill of handling obstacles well demonstrates a high level of self-reliance, good judgment, and resourcefulness," he explains. "The more proactive and resourceful you are, and the better your judgment calls and decision-making are when you're dealing with an obstacle, the greater the trust and confidence others will have in you." And where there's trust, there's success.

Goulston says savvy hiring managers will use the interview to determine whether you've mastered this skill and possess these traits.

"If you give any indication that you don't handle obstacles well, the employer will assume you're the type of person who will just dump your problems on your boss," he says. And nobody wants to hire that guy.

Goulston, who now works as a business advisor and consultant for executives and employees at big corporations, including GE, IBM, and Goldman Sachs, says he worked with a headhunting firm to come up with the best questions for identify the top candidates for jobs.

He suggests employers ask these questions, and candidates be ready to answer them (with concrete examples for each):

Give me an example of an obstacle you faced and what you did that involved:

not having the skills to do what was expected of you.
not being able to develop skills you needed and having to attain and use resources outside yourself and your group/department.
having to attain and use resources outside your company.
not being clear with what you were being asked by a superior who intimidated you.
having to gain cooperation from people within your group or from another part of your organization who appeared non-cooperative or kept putting you off.
dealing with downsizing in your department or group.
dealing with a reprimand or negative performance review.
having to hold accountable and confront a difficult person about something they were doing wrong or something they were failing to do.
dealing with a mistake you've made.
dealing with the biggest setback in your career.

Tags
#1, thinking

Thread