VNN Broadcasts

Old December 9th, 2014 #21
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate
Default I learned something about Pop-up Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
I wasn't planning on making money doing it. There are a lot of unforeseeable circumstances that could go wrong that I probably wouldn't be prepared to deal with if I did that as a business. Naturally I'd have to offer some sort of guarantee, and PC parts don't always work, then you have to RMA them and that process could take weeks if you have to mail it to the manufacturer. Its not exactly something I'd like to deal with...
There are some people here who look for empty space and rent it out until just before X-mas. People wandering in haven't enough time to think over if they want to buy a certain product or not. Haggling is also not feasable.
Certain products, however, are feasable to market year round:

http://www.abendblatt.de/wirtschaft/...-auf-Zeit.html

Quote:
...Sie eröffnen plötzlich und sind einige Wochen später wieder verschwunden – immer auf der Suche nach dem nächsten leeren Laden in einer Großstadt. Meist sind es Designer, die ihre neuen Kollektionen in leer stehenden Läden präsentieren und so prüfen, ob sie den Geschmack der potenziellen Kunden getroffen haben. Die Verkäufe ihrer Klamotten dauern nur wenige Wochen, dann werden die Einzelhandelsflächen wieder aufgegeben...

Old May 16th, 2015 #22
Alex Linder
Administrator

I learned how to clean a turtle, and cook turtle chowder. We killed the turtle with a rusty cleaver. I would put up the picture, but I don't want enemies using it. It is a gruesome and blood-spattered scene. It was just a common snapper. Made a clam chowder out of it. Watched some turtle cleaning videos.

amazing thing is we've all heard about headless chickens, but headless turtles are same - except they wave their powerful paws around for about 20-30 minutes AFTER THEIR HEAD IS CUT OFF, making them hard to clean, and shell makes that hard enough. it would take a lot of practice and a very sharp knife to get good at cleaning turtles.

ALSO learned how to process a deer last fall, watched a bunch of videos, tried it out. Took five hours. Next deer I'll handle in one hour. Now that I know what matters.

The single most important thing to know about processing meat? You need as sharp a knife as possible. That's what I learned. It took me five hours to do one deer WITH a very sharp knife. Without one, would have quit after half hour, just too difficult.

Last edited by Alex Linder; May 16th, 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Old May 16th, 2015 #23
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

I was looking up one of those Disovery videos where they bake a turtle in its own shell. One way of doing it is to light up a bonfire and then pile a bunch of rocks in it. While they're heating up, you'll need to dig a pit. It doesn't have to be very deep. Only enough for surrounding the turtle with the hot rocks. If sand's available, that's much better to bake your turtles in than dirt.

Old May 16th, 2015 #24
keifer

Here's a useful trick I recently learned that may get you out of a jam the next time your fuel pump goes out and leaves you stranded.
Take a stick or a hammer, anything really and bang on the gas tank while the ignition is turned to the start position. This might require two people. The banging will loosen the dirt that accumulates around the fuel pump and there is a good chance the vehicle will start. It might start once, it might start ten more times, but the fuel pump is still bad. You might go a mile, you might go another hundred...

Old May 18th, 2015 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Toothgold View Post
I was looking up one of those Disovery videos where they bake a turtle in its own shell. One way of doing it is to light up a bonfire and then pile a bunch of rocks in it. While they're heating up, you'll need to dig a pit. It doesn't have to be very deep. Only enough for surrounding the turtle with the hot rocks. If sand's available, that's much better to bake your turtles in than dirt.
That sounds like a luau.

Old May 18th, 2015 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

So you can deep fry turtle meat, but need to crock it first to soften it up. According to one video.

Old May 19th, 2015 #27
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

That might depend on the age of the turtle. When too elderly, like chickens, they're only suitable for soup.

Old May 28th, 2015 #28
N.B. Forrest

Default DIY Small Animal Euthenasia

I just finished humanely euthanizing a runt kitten. The bitch had a 4-kitten litter Easter; 3 healthy, strapping ones, and the runt. His back legs were too weak to allow him to run & play with his siblings; then he couldn't even stand, and he started having seizures, so I finally decided to end the poor little fellow's misery.

So sorry, little baby. I wanted to keep you, too....

Here's how:

Items required:

Vinegar

Baking soda

1 gal. plastic bag

16 oz. cup

Milk jug

3 ft. or so of 1/2" vinyl tubing

Wide tape

Carbon dioxide is the agent of dispatch. Cut the milk jug from side to side near the top to enable the insertion of the animal; place one end of the tube in the top of jug and tape it airtight. Put half a cup or so of baking soda into the bag. Rinse & dry cup, then fill it with vinegar, tape the other end of tube to the top of the cup to keep the liquid from going into the tube, and put cup in bag; zip close & tape the bag & tube airtight. Put the unfortunate animal in the jug; tape slit solid. except for a very small space to allow the carbon dioxide to push the air out. Slowly pour half of the vinegar, over about 1 minute; this is to anesthetize the animal. Then pour out the rest, squeezing the bag from time to time to mix the contents.

Overall, I'd definitely say it's better to take them to the SPCA to put them to sleep, since the DIY procedure's not quite as cut & dried as they make it sound on the net. Still, if it's some miles away like mine, it can be done. For animals under 2 pounds.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old May 28th, 2015 #29
N.B. Forrest

That's "euthanasia"....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old May 30th, 2015 #30
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Items required:

Vinegar

Baking soda

1 gal. plastic bag

16 oz. cup

Milk jug