VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 14th, 2017 #21
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Key View Post
I don't get people's infatuation with dogs, generally. The one thing that has made me sure of never getting one is the fact that you have to pick up their shit. Both disgusting and humiliating. No way I am going to do that. I always cringe when I see people doing that out in the public.
No offense Robbie, but you must live a really sheltered life if you think cleaning up after a dog is disgusting and humiliating. When I see someone doing that in public, I think that person actually has courtesy and respect for their neighbors property.

Old June 15th, 2017 #22
Robbie Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
No offense Robbie, but you must live a really sheltered life if you think cleaning up after a dog is disgusting and humiliating. When I see someone doing that in public, I think that person actually has courtesy and respect for their neighbors property.
Meh. I don't lead a more or less sheltered life than anybody else.

See, I am looking at this from the perspective as someone who is neither here nor there with dogs. They're fine, I guess. Just not a pet that has ever been particularly interesting or endearing to me. I think they get in the way of things too much.

Now, if I loved dogs, of course it'd be a completely different thing. But I don't. So it is a completely personal thing, I understand being willing to put up with it if you really like dogs.

Edit: I now see that I didn't properly elaborate in my last post. Bit drastic wording too.

Last edited by Robbie Key; June 15th, 2017 at 04:27 AM.

Old June 15th, 2017 #23
Crowe

Nobody actually likes cleaning up feces. But if you got dogs, that's just something that needs to be done, and most people don't make a huge deal out of it.

You still gotta clean out the litter box if you got cats. If you leave them indoors, they shed hair and dander all over the place, and claw up your furniture.

Personally, I think cats are lazy animals. Especially house cats. They just lounge around and do nothing. Dogs are more active and social, and they're easier to train because they're smarter.

One of my neighbors gave me a Blue Heeler pup. He's about a year old. Very smart dog. You just need to be assertive with dogs, and they'll listen to you. Sometimes being assertive means you have to grab them by the collar and get right in their face, make eye contact and let them know they fucked up. I made dog door for him to come and go from the basement. I don't keep him on a leash out here and I don't have to walk him either. He doesn't chase cattle, so the farmers don't mind him.

Old June 19th, 2017 #24
Breanna
Eternal Glory

My daughter wants a pet anteater and now my husband acts like he is seriously considering it. To be named "Fred." I hope they are trolling me lol...

Old July 9th, 2017 #25
Robbie Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefieldjohn View Post
Their sense of hearing is good; something's intruding at 3AM , they'll let you know about it.

Yeah, that is the one case I'd consider having a dog. A house on the countryside that is somewhat vulnerable. Sure, a dog has a role to play there.

Old July 9th, 2017 #26
littlefieldjohn

Their sense of hearing is good; something's intruding at 3 AM , they'll let you know. Maybe the reason why they were "domesticated". Besides being quick / responsive to hunters .Don't see many "service cats" around, either.

Old March 10th, 2018 #27
Randolph Dilloway
Banned

Turkish Van

http://cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsSthruT/TurkishVan.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Cats are incapable of the adoration of dogs, but that doesn't mean they're not affectionate in their own dignified way. Plus, there's no need to worry about a house cat eating the neighbor kid's face.
In regards to your first statement, I will have to disagree when it comes to one particular breed.

A year and a half ago, I found a stray kitten behind one the buildings where I work and brought her home. Didn't realize at first her breed, but after a few weeks, I knew she was something special.

The Turkish Van is an ancient breed.

After two litters, I got her fixed. Kept one kitten from each litter. The other four kittens had a waiting list of good homes as soon as they were born. If you come across one of these rare cats, do not hesitate to bring one home. You will not be disappointed. Depending on quality and characteristics, they can cost from $600 and on up.

Their fur really does feel like cashmere. Beautiful cats that will not bore you, but keep your valuables behind locked doors. A very strong and athletic breed.

Two of my Turkish Van mix kittens have already figured out how to open up any cabinet door. One likes to play fetch. They snuggle up to me at night to help me sleep, and are back on my bed in the morning waiting for me to get up.

This breed is very intellent. They will watch everything I do and want to help. Cleaning my home is a bit of a challenge now, but I do not mind. Often find myself laughing because they seem to surprise me nearly every day as they try to mimic what I do.

The younger kitten, seven months old now, will hop up on the bathroom sink and watch me get ready for work in the morning. As I brush my teeth and comb my hair, he will groom himself along with me.

The older kitten, about to be one year's old, dragged an empty 32oz cup of soda from the kitchen and set it upright on my bed for me for when I wake up in the morning the other day. Yes, my bed was a little damp from the melting ice cubes as he set up the cup, but didn't mind because I was having a good laugh. They are really a joy to have around.

Normally a mother cat will find a place to hide as she gives birth to her kittens. For both litters, I set up three hidden places around my home for the mother cat to choose from. Both litters ended up being born on my bed as I woke up. Within hours, the mother cat, carried each her new born up to me to inspect.

This is a truly amazing breed of cat.

Last edited by Randolph Dilloway; March 10th, 2018 at 04:41 PM.

Thread