VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 14th, 2017 #21
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I went to the Aldi in our area again tonight; forgot the damn quarter for the basket, so I had to hold my items. The basket thing isn't bad since you get the quarter back, but the BYO bag thing can be a pain. Interesting that they're expanding the one in Kirksville, since they tout the smallness of their stores & parking lots as crucial to their low prices (low rents).
Weren't there other shoppers? At ours, you wouldn't wait two minutes before you could give someone your 25c for their cart, in any combo.

The store here is still small after expansion. it's probably not 10% big as Walmart. And it needs expansion because it's often cramped. Aldis are only open during busy hours, again part of their design. I have believed and told them they could open a store on the south side of our town of 17,000 and it would work just fine. This is partial vindication. I would go to Aldi 2x as often if it were on my side of town, rather than 3-4 miles north. And I guarantee that's true of many others. All I have near me is Hy-Vee, which has absurd prices.

Old September 14th, 2017 #22
Richard Kimball

Good stores. The lowest prices. 6% lower and a nightmare for SAL and Wal Marx. Founded by Wehrmacht. One negative ; the "healthy and fit" line seems sugary.

Old September 14th, 2017 #23
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Weren't there other shoppers? At ours, you wouldn't wait two minutes before you could give someone your 25c for their cart, in any combo.
I had no change on me, and since I only needed a few items, I went without a cart.
Quote:
The store here is still small after expansion. it's probably not 10% big as Walmart. And it needs expansion because it's often cramped. Aldis are only open during busy hours, again part of their design. I have believed and told them they could open a store on the south side of our town of 17,000 and it would work just fine. This is partial vindication. I would go to Aldi 2x as often if it were on my side of town, rather than 3-4 miles north. And I guarantee that's true of many others. All I have near me is Hy-Vee, which has absurd prices.
Ours is about 7-8 miles from me, on the far side of the burg I'm 5 miles from, so it's inconvenient, but the prices are the best. I also go to the Dollar Tree in town, which is a REAL dollar store - unlike the shitty Dollar General clip-joints, which are NOT; DG & another inconvenience store are all I've got near me out in sticks.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old March 22nd, 2019 #24
SuDreich

Default German Week

Aldi is having German week right now. I got spätzle and herring and there's all sorts of other neat stuff there

Old March 24th, 2019 #25
T.Garrett
Banned

Thumbs up German supermarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuDreich View Post
Aldi is having German week right now. I got spätzle and herring and there's all sorts of other neat stuff there
I like Aldi, the stores are a bit small as someone else mentioned tho. Lidl with bigger stores is here in the US now too but the closest location to me is in New Jersey.

I have to go back to Aldi for more herring in Sahnesosse, it's addicting.

Old March 24th, 2019 #26
SuDreich

I love it, it's the only store I can shop in and not feel like murdering someone, I can't stand shopping
I got 2 32oz jars of herring in wine for only 1.99 each, it's so good.
Oh sahnsosse, my dad would make it with mushrooms but put it in an omelet. I've not seen a Lidl, that's from the other brother, isn't it?
I'm just happy to find some German stuff in the middle of nowhere here, makes me happy

Old March 24th, 2019 #27
Gladiatrix

Last Christmas, I was in an Aldi's (don't remember exactly which western suburb of Milwaukee it was) with my step mum. Prices were good.

Unfortunately, there is only one in DC and it's sort of in a hood, albeit an area that is gentrifying. I may go over there sometime but only in the daytime.

I like Harris Teeter, but I think they are limited to the Mid-Atlantic and top part of the east-coast South area.

Old March 25th, 2019 #28
SuDreich

Incredibly cheap. Their produce is always beautiful, too. If they had a fresh bakery and better meat section, never have to go anywhere else.
I hate that it's in an area where you don't feel safe. If only things were different! Be careful lady

Old March 25th, 2019 #29
Ray Allan

Unfortunately there is no Aldi or Lidl in my area. They appear to be in the eastern u.s. and Midwest. I avoid China-Mart like the plague and my local Smith's (Kroger's) has become Wal-Mart Junior, full of all the trashy people and rejects who couldn't get into Wal-Mart in addition to the panhandlers hanging around outside. The closest thing to Aldi around here might be Trader Joe's, but it's expensive.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old March 25th, 2019 #30
T.Garrett
Banned

Post N German style Weiner Schnitzel and Fried Potatoes

North German style veal weiner schnitzel, fried potatoes and cucumber salad yummy. Can be made with thin cut and pounded pork or chicken too, but the way this character is putting it together is authentic I believe. I've prepared it this way with a slight variation on the ingredients.

Comments?

Old March 25th, 2019 #31
T.Garrett
Banned

Post Bratwurst, smashed potatoes and caramel 'truffle' dessert

Prepared from scratch German style ...mmm fresh bratwurst pinwheels.

I'm ready to chuck the rest and eat German for awhile, getting tired of hearing all the Guineas around here talk up their cuisine.

Old March 26th, 2019 #32
SuDreich

Ray Allan, you and me both, I can't really go in Walmart and preserve my sanity. The walls of Chinese crap, the people in your way, the way it's designed plus the way I'm hard on myself for being weak and letting it get to me, it's just no good. Things are a lot different from when i was a kid in the 80s and my dad would actually dress up to grocery shop. Now it's like a circus.

T.Garrett, I haven't seen bacon and potatoes in a very long time! The schnitzel was my favourite as a kid (made more so because it wasn't liver or bone marrow or some other kind of crazy food, oh i would cry in my liver). I know it without cream in the egg and without bread crumbs. The cucumber salad I know too, but without cream, just vinegar and sugar. I make my schnitzel with cracker crumbs and pork. A fun thing my dad did was take the leftover egg and flour and cook that, too.

Beer and bratwurst and mustard, T.Garrett, is there anything better. I know what I'm eating later

Thread