Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 12th, 2019 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Will Solar Panels Work in a Blackout?

California residents are learning that their solar panels can't keep the lights on amid PG&E power cuts.

Here's why solar panels don't work in blackouts #CaliforniaBlackout

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1182800583406882817
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old October 12th, 2019 #2
Ray Allan

They're trying to push solar power in Nevaduh too, being the state has over 300 days of sunshine a year. I have nothing against solar, it has its uses, but this country is still swimming in coal for coal-fired power plants which can be made clean-burning. Also, Nevada would be a great location for a nuclear power plant due to large uninhabited areas of desert for safety purposes. The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste disposal site is another topic, but then again, where the hell else can it be stored besides shooting it into space or deep ocean bottom? There's a reason the government decided to test nuclear bombs here--this place isn't good for anything else.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old November 18th, 2019 #3
Niggerus Delenda Est

People in the sun belt typically have huge solar systems because there's a lot of sun. It's economically feasible to collect that solar power and offset the high costs of air conditioning. They can even produce a surplus to sell to the power company.

If you want to go "off the grid" then you need batteries to store the energy. It's a different model. But solar power is very reliable and not that difficult to throw together a decent system as an emergency backup.

When I lived in a trailer without any power or running water I got an 800 amp marine battery from Walmart. And an 80 watt solar panel. The battery is enough to power a couple of LED lights, phone charger, laptop and modem.

On cloudy days one panel wasn't always enough for me. But instead of buying more panels I used the generator to give my battery a good bulk charge once in a while. All in I have under $1000 in gear and I'm good.

I cook and heat water on an old Coleman stove. Boiling your water is really important because very often when the power goes down we get boil water advisories.

For heavy loads like the fridge or the furnace I run the generator.It doesn't need to be left running all day.

In a real emergency you're better off with simple stuff like a few panels, an RV battery, and a small generator that's easy to fix and doesn't use a lot of fuel. You can carry this shit in your and schlep it through the woods if you have to.

Old November 18th, 2019 #4
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Will Solar Panels Work in a Blackout?
My question is: would they work in a nig-out?

Thread