VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 10th, 2008 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Living White: Keep Your Possessions and Living Space Clean

Vinegar: (Almost) the Only Cleaner You'll Ever Need

Cleaning with vinegar is powerful, natural--and cheap!
by Noël-Marie Taylor

Most cleaning products fall into one of two categories: toxic or expensive. While both types will clean almost anything (or at least, anything within their limited range of capabilities), there's a third option. It's inexpensive and not at all poisonous to humans. It's multi-purpose as well--one container will take care of laundry, kitchen cleaning, even bugs and weeds. This "miracle cleaner" is vinegar.

Vinegar is a weak form of acetic acid that forms through the fermentation of sugars or starches. It is completely edible, and cannot harm your stomach. And luckily for us, many things can be cleaned using it.

The uses of vinegar are nearly endless. In addition to cleaning, it is an excellent item for cooking and for home science experiments (remember the vinegar-and-baking soda volcanoes from grade school?). The health benefits are many as well.

In this article, we are focusing on the uses of vinegar as a cleaner. For information on some of its other uses, see the links at the end of the article. Note: plain white vinegar is the best for the following uses; cider and other vinegars may have unwanted side effects. Vinegar is used in 100% concentration unless otherwise specified.

Your Vinegar Spray Bottles

In addition to your regular bottle of vinegar, a really useful item is a spray bottle. Ideally, you want two--one with pure vinegar, the other with a half vinegar, half water combination. Having vinegar in a dispenser of this type makes its use much simpler in many cases.

All Around the House

1. To remove stickers that have been used to "decorate" furniture and other surfaces, moisten with vinegar. Let sit for at least ten minutes, then remove.

2. For persistent room odors, place a bowl of vinegar in the room overnight.

3. For spills on carpet, use a sponge or cloth to soak up as much liquid as possible. Then spray with a mixture of half vinegar, half water. Let stand for about two minutes, then blot with towel or sponge. Repeat as needed.

4. For more persistent stains, use a mixture of 1 teaspoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap, and 1 cup warm water. Proceed as suggested above. When finished cleaning, dry using a hairdryer set on low.

5. To clean windows, spray with half vinegar, half water. Wipe clean with either newspapers or cloth.

6. To clean silver, pewter, copper, or brass, dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in one cup vinegar. Add flour to create a paste (1/4 cup or more). Apply the paste to the metal item, and let stand for at least fifteen minutes. Rinse with warm water and polish with a soft cloth.

7. No-wax floors can be cleaned with a solution of 1 cup vinegar per gallon of water for a shinier surface.

8. To clean wood paneling, use a mixture of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 2 cups warm water. Apply to paneling with a soft cloth. Dry with a clean cloth.

In the Bathroom

9. To remove corrosion or chemical build-up from showerheads, soak in vinegar overnight.

10. Remove stains from the toilet bowl by spraying with vinegar and spraying.

11. To remove soap build-up from faucets, clean with a mixture of 1 part salt to four parts vinegar.

12. Spray shower walls and shower curtain with vinegar to help prevent mildew.

In the Kitchen

13. To keep ants away, spray vinegar along doorways, windowsills, countertops - anywhere that ants are likely to appear. If you find an ant trail (path that ants use repeatedly), clean it with vinegar.

14. To remove odors from the sink or garbage disposal, pour in a cup or more vinegar. Do not rinse out again for at least an hour.

15. For a clogged drain, first pour in 1/2 cup baking soda. Then add an equal amount of vinegar. When the mixture finishes bubbling, rinse with warm water. (Note: some garbage disposals do not react well to this cleaning method; check with the manufacturer first.)

16. Wipe your hands with vinegar after chopping. It will remove strong scents like onion and garlic, as well as stains from fruit juices.

17. To clean wooden cutting boards, wipe with vinegar.

18. Remove strong odors. Rinse jars with a half and half mixture of vinegar and water to remove garlic or other strong odors. Boil water with several spoons of vinegar to remove the smell of burnt food from your kitchen.

19. Vinegar is an excellent cleaner for all kitchen surfaces - counters, refrigerators, stovetops.

20. To clean your microwave oven, put a microwave-safe bowl of 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 cup water in the oven, and cook long enough to boil. In addition to removing any lingering odors, this will loosen any baked-on food from the microwave's walls.

21. To remove coffee or tea stains from china, clean with a mixture of vinegar and salt.

In the Laundry

22. To keep colors from running in the wash, soak in vinegar before washing.

23. To decrease lint on clothing, add 1/2 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle.

24. Many persistent stains can be removed with vinegar: coffee, chocolate, ketchup, jam, cola, wine. Gently rub stain with vinegar, then wash.

25. To make your "brights brighter", add 1/2 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle.

26. For fresher cloth diapers, add one cup distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle. This will break down uric acid and remove both lingering stains and scents.

27. To remove scorch marks from an iron, rub with a mixture of vinegar and salt.

28. To remove soap residue from the washing machine, run an empty (no laundry) cycle with one cup vinegar added.

29. To remove the smell of smoke from clothing, add a cup of vinegar to a tub of hot water. Let clothing hang in the same room for several hours.

Pet Care
30. To keep cats off windowsills or other surfaces, spray with vinegar. This will also keep them from scratching upholstery (spray an unnoticeable area of the fabric first to make sure the vinegar doesn't cause a stain).

31. To keep dogs from scratching their ears, clean with a soft cloth dipped in diluted vinegar.

32. If your dog should have a run-in with a skunk, vinegar will take care of the smell better than even tomato juice. Using vinegar diluted 50% with water, rub the dog's fur. Rinse with warm water. Repeat as needed.

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/vinegar

Old March 10th, 2008 #2
Redhammer

Wink

Have to say, hands down Vinegar is the best kept cleaning secret out there! Although, I must admit that I am a bit of a bleach junkie when it comes to the bathroom. I am sure that vinegar does just as good of a job killing germs as bleach. But, when I use bleach in the bathroom I get that "nothing could have survived that blast" feeling.

Adolf Hitler

Old March 26th, 2008 #3
Cate

Vinegar is great stuff. It's the only thing to use on hardwood floors. One cup of vinegar in a bucket of hot water will clean like nothing else.

It's also a good, non-toxic weed killer. Pour it directly on those pesky weeds that grow between your patio blocks or between the cracks in your sidewalk or driveway. They'll be gone in a few days. You may have to repeat in a few weeks, but since it's non-toxic and inexpensive if you buy the one gallon generic brand, you don't have to worry about your pets or children getting exposed to it.

My silly dogs would actually lick the concrete when I was trying to kill weeds with vinegar. They had to get into everything which is why I'm glad it was non-toxic.

Old March 26th, 2008 #4
cillian

it smells like vomit though, how do you get rid of that smell?

Old March 27th, 2008 #5
Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
it smells like vomit though, how do you get rid of that smell?
Once it dries, there is no smell.

Old March 28th, 2008 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Thanks, Cate. Interesting about weeds. You can actually drink vinegar, some think it does you good. I can verify it works on stickers. I will try some on weeds this year.

Old March 28th, 2008 #7
Leshrac
Mad Science

Thumbs up

Quote:
Author: Malory Martin

Have you ever pondered whether or not drinking vinegar will help you to lose weight? With all of the dieting schemes and weight loss plans on the market and beyond, there is no wonder that Internet searches and newsletter articles claim that drinking vinegar helps you to lose weight. But, there has to be a reason that vinegar is targeted as a weight loss supplement.

First, before you venture into a 3-day, 7-day or month long vinegar diet, you should know a few facts surrounding this item. When we speak of drinking vinegar to lose weight, keep in mind that there are two different kinds to pay attention to. There is white vinegar, which is often used to accomplish household tasks, such as cleaning the toilet or making your windows sparkle. It is the apple cider variety of vinegar that is used for personal health endeavors, such as losing weight.

But does drinking vinegar help you lose weight? Where is the proof? What is the science to it? Vinegar is acidic, which helps to cleanse the kidneys and bladder. The acid also stimulates the production of stomach acid, which will break down digested food into smaller pieces. A balancing of the metabolism is also achieved when using vinegar to lose weight, which can also lead to a decrease in the craving of foods that add pounds to your body.

In Europe, there have been numerous testimonials, singing the praises of a diet plan consisting of apple cider vinegar. A boom in believing that drinking vinegar will help you to lose weight resulted in the production of apple cider vinegar pills, as well.

There are many ways to incorporate vinegar into your diet when you want to lose weight. Vinegar can be used to make salad dressings. Mixed with fruit juice, it is also bearable. Dieters who have had success with drinking vinegar to lose weight suggest drinking a glass of water before each meal. This glass of water will contain a tablespoon of vinegar, as well as a tablespoon of honey.

http://www.bestweightlosssystems.com...oseweight.html

fuxmsglenght

Old April 5th, 2008 #8
Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
You can actually drink vinegar, some think it does you good. I can verify it works on stickers.
Taking three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a little warm water before bed can reduce inflammation from arthritis. A couple of my elderly neighbors, 81 and 89, both do this and swear by it.

Old August 9th, 2009 #9
April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[B]

28. To remove soap residue from the washing machine, run an empty (no laundry) cycle with one cup vinegar added.
I did this not too long ago and it really improved the way my washing machine looked and ran...

http://kalispellple.blogspot.com/

Old December 5th, 2009 #10
Rab4
Banned

There was a Vermont Dr. who claimed that it will kill the Strep throat bacteria if you gargle once per hour with 2 tbsp in a glass of water.

Old December 6th, 2009 #11
Amy

I used to have a cupboard full of cleaning products. Now I mostly use vinegar and water. I get this industrial strength stuff from my Mom when she makes an order for her building. It's 18%, and can take your breath away if it's not diluted.

The only thing I don't use it for is cleaning the tub, tiles and toilet. I use Comet for them. Need the lathering action!

Also, I was readng that a capful of Listerine or similar mouthwash, poured into the wash cycle can kill the bacteria on your undies.

Old December 28th, 2009 #12
Leshrac
Mad Science

Cleaned cigarette odor in pretty much all my apartment after a busy night with friends.

Used 3x30ml 80% acetic acid in small glasses. (Either boil down regular vinegar or buy it as-is in hobby shops, it's like 3e -5$- per liter)

Let sit for 2 hours until the smell of vinegar becomes really strong, remove, aerate for +/- 25 minutes (so the smell goes).

Your rooms are now free of any stench

Old July 12th, 2011 #13
John Clearing

Here is a contact-kill insect spray made from vinegar, good for killing ants, roaches, and some wasps that might get into your house.

Buy a 1 quart garden spray bottle
Pour in 1 small bottle of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
Add vinegar to bottle up to the neck.
Add a pinch of fine salt and a teaspoon full of dawn dish soap.
Shake before using.

Spray on insects and they will get "drunk" and die soon, then you can pick them up safely with paper towels. The solution also works for cleaning countertops and windows (NOT eye glasses unless you leave out the salt).
The salt (esp popcorn salt) helps quicken the effect of killing the insects.

Thread