VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 20th, 2012 #81
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Well, I feel the real start of the year is Sept 1. Then nine months of labor, and then three months of good weather fun.
The old calendar had the beginning of winter and the start of the new year on Halloween (Samhain), and the first day of spring was around Ground Hog's Day on February 1st (Imbolg/Candlemass), May 1st (Beltane) was the start of summer, and August 1st (Lughnasadh/Lammas) was the beginning of autumn.

Old December 20th, 2012 #82
Tintin
∞ 𐌙 λ

Climate Forecaster Predicts a Cold, Snowy Winter

The The End of Time Warmers, a Utopian sect, will be adding more Ptolemaic epicycles to their Global Warning Revelation to explain how the fact is it getting colder proves it is getting hotter.

The Utopians will be applying similar Ptolemaic epicycles to their belief that by making the ownership of guns a criminal offense is to stop criminals, including murders, from owning guns for fear of breaking the law.

Old December 20th, 2012 #83
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Raining here in, Western PA. Miserable weather.

Old December 20th, 2012 #84
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
The old calendar had the beginning of winter and the start of the new year on Halloween (Samhain), and the first day of spring was around Ground Hog's Day on February 1st (Imbolg/Candlemass), May 1st (Beltane) was the start of summer, and August 1st (Lughnasadh/Lammas) was the beginning of autumn.
Basically, the calendar shifts whenever some self-important nob decides to rearrange it for his own glorification. It's no big deal. Man can impose whatever artificial grid he likes, the same things will still happen in the same order.

Old December 20th, 2012 #85
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Wethers

Quote:
I've never come across 'wether' before. Is that an obsolete word, or actually used by someone?
The English translations of the ancient Icelandic Sagas are full of that word to describe their sheep. It appears to still be in common use across the pond. We had a good freeze this morning here.

Old December 20th, 2012 #86
Henry.

Quote:
I've never come across 'wether' before. Is that an obsolete word, or actually used by someone?
I think you'll find it's a sheep's uterus, or something in that area.

Old December 20th, 2012 #87
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
I think you'll find it's a sheep's uterus, or something in that area.
Castrated Sheep or Goat, actually.

Well it's correct in the farming area if not the gynaecological

Old December 20th, 2012 #88
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Basically, the calendar shifts whenever some self-important nob decides to rearrange it for his own glorification. It's no big deal. Man can impose whatever artificial grid he likes, the same things will still happen in the same order.
Not exactly - winter now starts at Midwinter, and summer begins at Midsummer. It's been that way for quite awhile, but it's not supposed to be that way at all. It makes absolutely no since for winter to start on Midwinter's day (the winter solstice).

Someone needs to answer for this.

Old December 20th, 2012 #89
N.B. Forrest

Cold wind & rain here in the Daughter of the Stars. Miserable.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old December 20th, 2012 #90
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Not exactly - winter now starts at Midwinter, and summer begins at Midsummer. It's been that way for quite awhile, but it's not supposed to be that way at all. It makes absolutely no since for winter to start on Midwinter's day (the winter solstice).

I don't go by the sun, I go by low temps and high temps. We bottom out in jan-feb, and we peak in july-august. I just like the return of increasing light that winter solstice signifies.

It's extremely bad taste and smacks of progressivist arrogance to be rearranging the calendar all the time.

Old December 20th, 2012 #91
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Ohio Valley:

"Rain grey town...known for its sound..."

Driving rain and dropping temps overnight.

Forecasting our first (and last, if the Maya were correct) significant snow of the season tomorrow.

Old December 20th, 2012 #92
fossilator

This is nothing new, however. Weather patterns have always fluctuated, at times without explanation.

There have historically been periods of severe winters and cold, wet summers. Take the period of severe weather known as "The Little Ice Age" from between 1600 and 1800 (some say from 1300 to 1900) which affected everything from food supplies to the increase of witch trials. "Historian Wolfgang Behringer studied the European witch trials and found a correlation between the peaks of witch prosecutions and accumulative sequences of coldness in the years 1560-1574, 1583-1589, 1623-1630 and 1678-1698. From 1730 on the climate became more stable, and so did the general mood. Isolated witch-trials continued in Central Europe until the 1770s, but nothing on as grand a scale as the hey-day of the Little Ice Age" ("Blame It on the Rain: How the Weather Has Changed History" by Laura Lee).

Even modern warfare in World War Two had an effect on climate and weather patterns:

Rob MacKenzie led a recent study at the Lancaster Environment Centre in the United Kingdom on the contrails created by Allied bombing runs and their effect on the weather. The the researchers found that the contrails from these aircraft significantly suppressed the morning temperature increase across areas with a high density of flights since they have complex effects on the Earth's surface temperature. "This is tantalizing evidence that Second World War bombing raids can be used to help us understand processes affecting contemporary climate," MacKenzie said. http://www.exulanten.com/zoo.html

Other scientists discuss depth charges and naval warfare's effect on weather: The winter of 1939/40 brought sudden and unexpected arctic conditions from Southern England to Stockholm. A.J. Drummond, a scientist from Kew Observatory at Richmond, expressed surprise at this unusual phenomenon in 1943 when he wrote: “The present century has been marked by such a wide-spread tendency towards mild winters that the “old– fashioned winters”, of which one has heard so much, seemed to have disappeared for ever. The sudden arrival at the end of 1939 of what was considered to be the beginning of a series of cold winters was therefore all the more surprising. Since the winters of 1878-79, 1879-80 and 1880-81, there have never been such severe winters, three in succession, as those of 1939-40, 1940-41 and 1941-42.” (Arnd Bernaert's "Climate Change & Naval War- A Scientific Assessment").

Old December 21st, 2012 #93
Vance Stubbs
Hatespeaker

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned winter starts December 1st. Spring starts March 1st, summer June 1st, fall September 1st. Easy.

Winter doesn't start halfway through December...

On the other hand, I wouldn't say the solstice is literally the middle of winter. You'd have to say February isn't in winter, or that October is, either one would be silly.

Old December 21st, 2012 #94
Solskeniskyn

Big amounts of snow fell in Sweden last week. Stockholm were one of the cities given a major serving of it, with major transporation/communication problems following. A lot of anger and discernment directed at the state followed as usual, but the blunt reality is that this is simply conditions one have to expect when living in this climate - and you're never going to be able to fully parry the effects of extreme weather.

More than average snow further up north as well. We're in for a really white christmas. The small municipality that I live in is already the equivalent of half a million $ in the red compared to the projected cost for the yearly... *snow clearing. (*Is that the correct term?) It reminds me of how much effort it really takes just to keep a modern small/medium city in the Scandinavian north functioning - and how little it would take this time of year to completely cripple the daily life. Kind of a humbling thought.

Old December 21st, 2012 #95
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Snow removal.

Old December 21st, 2012 #96
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
Snow removal.
Thanks.

(*message to short...*)

Old December 29th, 2012 #97
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Snow.

A world transformed. The woods out back are straight out of a Frost poem.

Seemingly endless blankets of white cotton-candy covering everything. Nothing moves except the falling snow. A blizzard, they say. Rough winter ahead, they say.

I sing an Immigrant Song.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #98
john2020
Banned

Here in southern Ontario winter had a mild start but since the 21st of December it's been below freezing with no break, and it's been snowing often too since the 27th, 10 inches of snow so far, I live near a main river called the Humber and it's starting to freeze.

Here are some pictures I took today, January 3rd.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #99
john2020
Banned

Some more:

Old January 3rd, 2013 #100
Olesia Rhoswen

I'm glad Toronto has so much snow. Fewer creeps crawl out when it's cold.

Tags
#1, weather

Thread