Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 27th, 2009 #1
Anne

Default European Union Passport

I will soon be travelling to Europe, and decided to get my EU passport updated. I was born in Canada, but have dual citizenship: Canadian and Italian. How did I get that? Well, I discovered that since my father was born in Italy, to a father who was born in Italy (they only cared about the paternal line when I filled out the form requesting citizenship), I could get my "cittadinanza italiana," regardless of where I was born! On the one hand, I thought, hey, that's great for me, but then I thought, that isn't very practical. It seems as though Italy places value on blood and not nation state, but what if my father had married a gook or nigger? Italy would just give a half-breed citizenship, which btw, entitles me to move freely about the EU, taking advantage of their social programs, etc.

Also, while my father was born in Italy, as a young child, he and his parents moved to Argentina where he grew up and was educated. That does not seem to matter to the Italian state which allows both my father AND me to vote in Italian elections if we choose. (They send me info on political candidates and their parties, but I honestly don't feel I should vote as I don't reside in Italy.)

Anyways, do other European countries give out citizenship so freely?

Old June 27th, 2009 #2
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Default Wow! Could you kindly PM me your photo?

It seemed to me, since 1973, you could only obtain an Italian citizenship maternally linked, as long as the mother didn't renounce her citizenship to accept the new one. That now they've extended citizenship freely, that's news to me

Old June 27th, 2009 #3
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
It seemed to me, since 1973, you could only obtain an Italian citizenship maternally linked, as long as the mother didn't renounce her citizenship to accept the new one. That now they've extended citizenship freely, that's news to me
I obtained my citizenship about a decade ago. At the time, I only had to produce proof of my father's citizenship. They may have changed their policy since that time.

What is Germany's policy?

Old June 27th, 2009 #4
Kind Lampshade Maker

Paternal, pertaining to those who claim biological heritage. All others only need to reside here for 8 years. I'm not sure about Jews, though. They automatically get permanent residency

Old June 27th, 2009 #5
cillian

Ireland wants 1 parent or 2 grand parents, Britain is 1 parent, if they were born before 1947 they can be from any where on the isles. So if you had a Scottish father born before 47 you could get Irish citizenship and British citizenship, since they were the same country back then.

Old June 28th, 2009 #6
Anne

Thumbs down

I think it's great to give citizenship to Whites living outside of Europe, but I wonder how sensible it is, since those who haven't been living in Europe and not paying taxes can still sign up for social benefits as long as they are citizens. Oh wait, turd world immigrants who wash up on shore can get benefits too, I forgot.

Old June 28th, 2009 #7
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I think it's great to give citizenship to Whites living outside of Europe...
I like it too, but it doesn't apply to me. I'm totally British, both sides of my family, with no exceptions.

My father side is all from the Lowlands of Scotland and Ulster. It's spooky; every time I turn up a new family name it either goes directly to Ayrshire, or to Ulster, then to Ayrshire. My father's family has been in America since 1720...no passport there.

My mothers side is mostly from northern England or the Lowlands of Scotland. There are also some family names that are identified with more southern parts of England. My mother's family came to America sometime in the 1600s...no passport there.

Damn! No Euro passport for me. Hardly seems fair.

Mike

Old June 28th, 2009 #8
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
Damn! No Euro passport for me. Hardly seems fair.

Mike

Sorry Mike! If it's any comfort, I wouldn't be able to get one if I had to rely on my mom's side. Her family has been in Canada for at least three generations and came from Britain. (Where, I don't know. The only family names I know from her side are Buckland and White--I suspect those are English and not Irish or Scottish.)

Still, it's nice that you know so much about your family history and origins!

Old June 28th, 2009 #9
Nick Apleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Also, while my father was born in Italy, as a young child, he and his parents moved to Argentina where he grew up and was educated.
Anne, if your father was an Argentine citizen you should see if you can get a passport from Argentina as well. It's nice to have options.

Old June 28th, 2009 #10
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Apleece View Post
Anne, if your father was an Argentine citizen you should see if you can get a passport from Argentina as well. It's nice to have options.
That's a good point. Argentines are mostly of European descent and there is a lot of anti-semitism and racism down there (they don't mix with the indigenous people). I never thought about it, maybe because I had the impression their economy wasn't all that great. I have no idea about their policy on citizenship.

Old June 29th, 2009 #11
Kind Lampshade Maker

As a woman, I don't think you would like Argentina. They tend to treat women like dirt, there. Despite, having European roots, they're nonetheless Latin Americans.
There are cases where Argentines have mixed with Negroids and Injoids. I would suppose, the further away one gets from Buenos Aires, more prevalent race mixing becomes

Old June 29th, 2009 #12
Anne

I've never been to Argentina, but I have heard it is quite dangerous. Apparently, people don't go out in public with any jewellery on or while carrying cash.

Thread