VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 9th, 2003 #1
no_nomen

Default GLOCKMEISTER - Frequently Asked Questions With Answers

GLOCKMEISTER - Frequently Asked Questions With Answers

We have put together a number of commonly asked questions about the Glock. We tried to break them down into categories, so it would be easier for you to locate a particular subject.

CARE AND FEEDING

Q: Can I shoot bare lead bullets from my Glock? If not, why?
A: It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired - heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems - over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge (standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge). This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem (the round will not fully seat) - again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only.

Q: I heard that I only need to clean and lube my Glock every 10,000 rounds - is that true?
A: Maybe in war time, when it may be unwise to disassemble your firearm. We suggest that you clean and lube your gun after each use. It isn't absolutely necessary to clean and lube after every use, but we are funny about a tool that our lives may depend on.

Q: There are no instructions in the owners manual for cleaning and lubing my Glock - where can I find this information?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/gclean.shtml and here: http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

CHOOSING A GLOCK

Q: What is the best Glock model for carry, self defense, home defense, comfort, shootability, ease of control and so on?
A: The best advice here is consult with a firearms trainer and go to a range that rents Glocks and take a few for a test drive. There is no best fit for everyone - different guns for different jobs and different individual fit.

Q: Where can I get a .380 Glock and why aren't they in the gun shops?
A: The .380 is not available in the U.S. to civilians (they are available to LE). The reason is that the gun does not score enough import points to be allowed into the country for civilian use.

Q: I have had my eye on a Glock 18 for a few years - now I think I can afford one - how can I get one?
A: You can't. The Glock 18 is only available to Class III dealers with an LE demo letter, LE and the military.

IDENTIFICATION

Q: How do I tell the difference between fully metal lined magazines and non fully metal lined magazines?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/3genmags.shtml

Q: How do I identify a 3.5# connector, a 5# connector and an 8# connector?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/images/connect.jpg

UPGRADES

Q: How can I determine if my Glock needs a firing pin upgrade?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/fpupgrad.shtml

Q: How can I determine if my Glock .40 cal. needs an extractor/ejector upgrade?
A: The gun will have an ejector with the part number 4340 stamped on it.

OPERATION

Q:My Glock seems to shoot (high, low, left, right) - how can I get that fixed?
A: First of all, have the gun tested in a stationary mechanical mount (like a Ransom rest). A mechanical device is the only way to take the human factor out. When the gun is tested, only use new standard factory ammo. If the gun shoots left or right (in the rest) adjust the rear sight left or right to align the target. If the gun shoots high or low (in the rest), you may have to change the rear sight to a higher or lower sight to get on target. The above scenarios are unlikely - most problems are with the shooter or the ammo. If there is no pattern to the shots - it may be the cheesy reloads you are shooting. If there is a fairly consistent pattern (like down and left) it is probably a matter of trigger control - dry firing practice can help alleviate this problem.

Q: I have noticed wear marks on the bottom side of my 9mm - .357 - .40 - 10mm - .45 slide - just below the ejection port - is that normal?
A: Yes, these marks are normal wear marks. They will wear to a point and stop. They are caused by the locking block coming into slight contact with the slide when the gun is fired - nothing to worry about.

Q: When the slide is locked back and I slam in a full mag, the slide is released - how can I fix that?
A: There is nothing to fix. When you slam a loaded mag into the gun, the gun is usually at a slight angle with the muzzle up. When you slam in the mag, you cause a slight rearward momentum on the slide and release pressure on the slide stop lever, thus allowing the slide stop lever spring to do its job and return the slide stop lever to the lowered position. If you are still unsure about this - try holding the gun level and steady - jam a loaded mag in now - I'll bet the slide doesn't close now.

Q: I hear a slight rattle in my gun when I shake it forward and back - is that normal?
A: Yes, what you are hearing is the firing pin moving freely in the firing pin channel (only when the trigger is depressed). When the gun is cocked, you will note that there is no noise - that is because the sear has engaged the firing pin and will not allow it to move.

Q: Can a Glock be fired under water?
A: A specially modified Glock 17 is tested for underwater firing. It is never recommended that you try to fire your Glock under water - the preparation for that task involves a modified gun, special ammo and training.

MANUALS

Q: When I bought my Glock, I did not get an owners manual - how can I get one?
A: Owners manuals are available from Glock by faxing Glocks Customer Service at 770-433-8719. Provide them with your name, address, phone number and Glock model.

Q: I would like to get an Armorers manual - where can I get one?
A: Current Armorers Manuals are only available to Glock armorers. The manual is for reference only - without proper training and experience, the manual is short on information. There are a few videos on the market - choose one of those.

http://glockmeister.com/faq.shtml

Thread