Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 31st, 2015 #1
Jake Grant

Default BBC documentary on Le Corbusier from 1979

Hugely enjoyed Alex's readings of Living Machines by E Michael Jones. As usual, it was his asides and perambulations off the main text that made it come alive for me.
The same subject is also covered well in a BBC documentary from 1979 called "City of Towers" by Christopher Booker who is a Conservative sceptic. Booker wrote, this week, that when it was suggested the documentary be repeated a Jewish executive called Alan Yentob said 'over my dead body'.

The documentary is described thus: City of Towers is a two hour documentary made by Christopher Booker for the BBC, first broadcast in 1979 and a master class in the history of Modernism that covers its birth from ideas first put forward by Antonio Sant'Elia, Auguste Perret and Le Corbusier in the early part of the Twentieth Century . . .

. . . to its fall from grace in the latter part of the same century when its supposed beneficiaries, the people who had to live in the concrete blocks that followed the Modernist model, rebelled, and it came to be seen for what it truly was, a failed philosophy.

Christopher Booker himself is never seen but narrates superbly with a crisp, well modulated, brisk and enthusiastic delivery in a documentary that covers over 100 years of human development from the slums of the Industrial Revolution, by way of the garden cities and the new towns, to the failed high rise blocks of the 1960s and beyond, to the late 1970s.

Old September 3rd, 2015 #2
zoomcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Grant View Post
Hugely enjoyed Alex's readings of Living Machines by E Michael Jones. As usual, it was his asides and perambulations off the main text that made it come alive for me.
The same subject is also covered well in a BBC documentary from 1979 called "City of Towers" by Christopher Booker who is a Conservative sceptic. Booker wrote, this week, that when it was suggested the documentary be repeated a Jewish executive called Alan Yentob said 'over my dead body'.

The documentary is described thus: City of Towers is a two hour documentary made by Christopher Booker for the BBC, first broadcast in 1979 and a master class in the history of Modernism that covers its birth from ideas first put forward by Antonio Sant'Elia, Auguste Perret and Le Corbusier in the early part of the Twentieth Century . . .

City of Towers
Highly recommended, then.

Old September 7th, 2019 #3
Konrad Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Grant View Post

. . . to its fall from grace in the latter part of the same century when its supposed beneficiaries, the people who had to live in the concrete blocks that followed the Modernist model, rebelled, and it came to be seen for what it truly was, a failed philosophy.

Christopher Booker himself is never seen but narrates superbly with a crisp, well modulated, brisk and enthusiastic delivery in a documentary that covers over 100 years of human development from the slums of the Industrial Revolution, by way of the garden cities and the new towns, to the failed high rise blocks of the 1960s and beyond, to the late 1970s.

City of Towers

I remember watching this documentary as a teenager. It stuck in my mind because I found it was so disturbing at the time.

YouTube still have the video on their servers but have blocked it across every region of the world on copyright grounds.

Fortunately it can still be viewed and downloaded here.

Thread