Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old 1 Week Ago #841
littlefieldjohn

littlefieldjohn

Van Wyck Brooks , World Of Washington Irving . Very readable and uses Irving as a starting point to delve into early American literary figures.

Last edited by littlefieldjohn; 1 Week Ago at 12:23 PM.

Old 1 Week Ago #842
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder

Walpole describes Britain going from Victorian times to the 1920s. I hadn't realized he covered so much.

It occurs to me, and I'm sure others have said, you can't really keep a traditional morality where there are large number of people continually interacting, there are just too many influences and variables. Only where things are fairly fixed, as in a small town, or an agricultural area, is there some kind of permanence and memory. The minute you bring the money and movement of a big city into play, there's enough "there" for pretty much any perversion, and at the same time enough jobs and space and anonymity for people to survive apart from those who might try to ostracize, ie enforce social-moral norms, on them.

Last edited by Alex Linder; 1 Week Ago at 12:23 PM.

Old 4 Days Ago #843
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder

unable to record more audiobooks this week, will finish Libido Dominandi soon as i'm back to par. meanwhile been reading some christian anti-christian material, called Truth Twisters, by Harold J. Berry. chapters on the various wrong sects (christian science, new age, mormonism, jehovah's witnesses, masons, etc etc. some useful facts in it. these religions are all wrong because they depart from muh true biblical doctrine obtained from readin' muh bible...or something. so some kind of evangelical attack on xtians-who-deviate. how the white race got involved with this nonsense in the first place is to be wondered at.

Thread