VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 29th, 2015 #1
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Default "The German soldiers had the reputation of being "korrekt""

Quote:
Up till now it was the Anglo-Americans who were the good guys. Now, we're really not so sure and this book only adds to our growing unease.

The post opens with an eye-witness testimony (From which the title of the post is taken) by Professor Robert Faurisson, now in his late eighties but then a teenager in occupied France.

I remember how afraid French women were of the GIs in Orléans, in September 1944. I was 15. One evening, at perhaps 7pm, at the house of our friends the Signeux, there was a lady of probably between 40 and 50 who realized it was time to go home but was afraid of running into American soldiers on the way. I decided to accompany her on foot. Suddenly along our way we found an American officer, obviously drunk. He stopped us.

He wanted the lady. She screamed and ran. The American tried to catch her. I tried to stop him and we nearly had a fight. When I saw that the lady was far enough away I ran as well. I got to her house. I rang the bell. She and her husband didn't want to open the door. I turned to leave but I heard a noise. The door was half-open. I saw them paralyzed by fear. They never thanked me.

> The German soldiers had the reputation of being "korrekt". One day, in Paris, I saw a French civilian, obviously drunk, who stopped a German officer on the sidewalk. He was insulting him. The German, triying to calm him down, told him that war was "un grand malheur". He got down from the sidewalk and went his way. 30 meters further on there was a "Commissariat de police". He could have had the drunkard arrested by the police.
>
> Now, believe me, until the 8th of May 1945, when I was 16, I kept hating the Germans and loving the Americans, the British, the Soviets. On the 8th of May 1945, when I heard the bells chiming for our "victory", my father entered the room I shared with my brother Philippe, who was 14 (I was the eldest of seven). He asked me: "Robert, are you happy?" Finding the question rather indiscreet I drily answered "Yes". And suddenly I thought: "This very day of rejoicing for us must be, for those Germans who fought so courageously, a terrible day". For the first time since 1939, when I was 10, I felt that my enemies were human beings.
>
> I mentioned our friends the Signeux. My father's best friend was Pierre Signeux, a physician in Orléans. My best friend was Christian Signeux (he was a year older than I ). One day in 1940 Christian, who was 11 or 12, wrote on a wall (perhaps the wall of the Kommandantur itself ) : "Hitler salaud" (Hitler bastard). He was arrested. A German officer phoned Christian's father. He summoned him. He said to both, father and son:
>
> "You might be against us and against Hitler but you have no right to consider Hitler a 'bastard'" And he went on explaining what Hitler, in his opinion, had done for his Volk. The doctor went back home with his son without any more trouble.
>
> Best wishes. RF
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old June 29th, 2015 #2
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

The GIs who raped France: We know about the mass rape of German women by Stalin's soldiers. Now a new book reveals American troops committed thousands of rapes on French women they were 'liberating'

Quote:
Some American GIs saw French women as spoils of war according to an explosive new book

The handsome American soldier was Elisabeth’s tenth client that evening. Working her trade on the top floor of a dingy apartment block in Paris, she felt that she had seen them all.

For the past four years, the men had been Germans, and now, since the city had been liberated in August, 1944, they were Americans. It made little difference.
Elisabeth held out three fingers of her hand to indicate the price of her body — three hundred francs.

‘Too much,’ said the soldier.

Elisabeth sighed. She had seen that before as well. Wearily, she kept the three fingers held up, almost as an insult.

There was no negotiation — three hundred was little enough as it was.
‘Two hundred,’ the soldier insisted.
‘Non,’ said Elisabeth. ‘Three hundred or nothing’.
The soldier approached her, hate in his eyes. Elisabeth glowered back, starting to feel scared.
‘In that case,’ said the soldier, ‘it will be nothing.’

The soldier then placed his huge hands around Elisabeth’s neck and started to squeeze. She struggled as hard as she could, lashing out, but it was in vain.

After a minute or so she slumped down, her lifeless body falling on to the stained sheets. The soldier then calmly removed his trousers and had sex with her. For nothing.

Afterwards, he went through Elisabeth’s belongings and stole her cash and jewellery. He then went round the block, found another prostitute and took her to dinner and the movies.

For the GI, it had been a swell evening. Paris was just as they said it was.

Even by the standards of war, this was a particularly grim episode. But while such barbaric murders were extremely rare, a new book reveals that the violation by American soldiers of the women whom they had been sent to Europe to free and assist was far more common than has first been thought.

It is, of course, a horrific fact of war that soldiers rape the women of the lands they conquer. Many troops — but certainly not all — see female flesh as a justified spoil, something they deserve after fighting with the husbands, fathers and sons of the women they abuse.

Rape is also a way by which one nation signifies that it now has dominance over another.

We can have your women, rape says, and there is nothing you can do because we are in charge.

Many thousands of German women and girls, for example, were raped by Russian troops in the battle for Berlin at the end of World War II.

Until now, we in the former Allied Western nations tend to regard rape as something carried out by countries other than ourselves. Through films such as Saving Private Ryan and The Longest Day, we are conditioned to think of the Allied troops as being above such behaviour. However, an explosive new book published by an American academic sensationally debunks that myth.

'My book seeks to debunk an old myth about the GI, thought of as a manly creature that always behaved well — the GIs were having sex anywhere and everywhere.'

Professor Mary Louise Roberts

In What Soldiers Do, Professor Mary Louise Roberts of the University of Wisconsin argues that American GIs committed rape thousands of times during the War. And, more surprisingly still, many of their victims were French.

As Professor Roberts says: ‘My book seeks to debunk an old myth about the GI, thought of as a manly creature that always behaved well — the GIs were having sex anywhere and everywhere.’

In total, it is estimated that some 14,000 women were raped by American GIs in Western Europe from 1942 to 1945. In France, 152 American soldiers were tried for rape, of whom 29 were hanged.

But the statistics do not reveal the full story. There were undoubtedly thousands of rapes in France, many of which went unreported by the victims who were keen to avoid the dreadfully unfair stigma that rape carried with it during those days.

But why did the Americans rape their allies? For the average GI, France was as much an ‘erotic adventure’ as a military expedition, and the war was, in part, ‘sold’ to conscripted soldiers as an opportunity to meet attractive French women.

Many of the soldiers’ fathers had been in France during World War I, and had come back with lurid tales of the supposed looseness of French women.

Their sons, now off to fight in the same land, regarded France as essentially a giant brothel, with thousands of nubile French girls eager to be taken by manly GIs.
As Professor Roberts rightly observes, the average GI ‘had no emotional attachment to the French people or the cause of their freedom’.

Magazines aimed at the troops such as Stars And Stripes showed pictures of cheering women during liberation parades, accompanied by headlines such as ‘Here’s What We’re Fighting For’.

The magazine even published ‘useful’ French phrases, such as the translations for ‘I am not married’ and ‘You have charming eyes’. It was almost as if the magazine was telling the GIs: come and get it, boys.

And that’s exactly what they did. Throughout the summer of 1944, from the moment they had pushed back the Germans during the D-Day landings in June, the Americans unleashed throughout northern France, in the words of Professor Roberts, a ‘tsunami of male lust’.

‘Normandy women launched a wave of rape accusations against American soldiers,’ Roberts writes, ‘threatening to destroy the erotic fantasy at the heart of the operation. The spectre of rape transformed the GI from rescuer-warrior to violent intruder’.

Particularly badly affected was the port of Le Havre. One citizen wrote to the town’s mayor, Pierre Voisin, complaining of ‘crimes of all kinds, committed day and night’.

The writer said that the GIs ‘attacked, robbed . . . both on the street and in our houses’ and were essentially ‘a regime of terror, imposed by bandits in uniform’.

But the biggest problem was sex. GIs were copulating with every French woman they could get their hands on, willingly or not, and worse still, they were doing it in public.

'The average GI ‘had no emotional attachment to the French people or the cause of their freedom’ Professor Mary Louise Roberts

‘These things are happening in full daylight right in front of the children or other people who happen to be near,’ said one civilian.

Many impromptu brothels were set up by French women desperate for money. At one house, soldiers would be lined up all the way up the staircase.
‘They urinate along the walls and in the hallways,’ one witness noted with disgust, ‘and they attack any women who happen to live there.’

What made it worse for the French was that the Americans were the same troops who had devastated their towns through aerial bombing and artillery barrages.
Many French felt — with much justification — that their towns had been needlessly destroyed in a macho display of American firepower.

An estimated 20,000 civilians were killed in the battle for Normandy, and in Le Havre alone, 3,000 had died.

Angry officials pointed out that while thousands of French dead had been hauled from the rubble, no more than ten German bodies had been found.

With the raping and the bombing, it was therefore understandable why some French wondered whether they really had been ‘liberated’ after all.

The Americans, recalled one Resistance fighter, ‘soured their reputation by behaving as if they were in a conquered country’. Some even regarded this ‘second occupation’ as being worse than the first.
‘France for the Americans — as well as the Germans — is Paris and women,’ observed another Frenchman, noting that there was little difference between the average GI and average Boche.

French women who worked as prostitutes even looked back on their German clients with something approaching affection. GIs, it seemed, wanted more than just sex.
‘You had to keep an eye on your purse with those bastards,’ one woman recalled. ‘It’s sad to say, but I missed my Fritzes, who were gentler with women. I was not the only one to say it; all the women thought the same as me, only they did not always say it.’

Some prostitutes were even killed by GIs. In addition to Elisabeth in Paris, another was stabbed 29 times in the abdomen, while a woman called Marie was killed for refusing to be sodomised.

Rumours abounded of particularly horrific stories, including that of a girl who had been hacked to death and then had her corpse violated.

In the eyes of many GIs, French women were little more than cigarettes — something that you got with your rations and could be shared around.

Unsurprisingly, venereal diseases were rampant, but the American top brass was more concerned about the health of ‘our boys’ and the possibility of them infecting their apple pie sweethearts back home, rather than in the health of the French women.

Clinics were overwhelmed with women suffering from VD, and many were sent to and from hospitals that had no room for them.

‘An unwanted, homeless population of diseased women being shuttled from town to town,’ Professor Roberts writes, ‘these prostitutes compromise the legacy of the American occupation in Normandy’.

Although educational leaflets entitled ‘Let’s Look At Rape’ were distributed, they did nothing to dampen the desire of GIs to sexually assault those whom they were supposedly freeing from oppression.

However, some justice was needed to be seen to be done, but even that process was deeply flawed. Of the mere 152 men who were tried for rape, 139 of the defendants were ‘coloured’.

It appears that the American Army was keen to treat black soldiers as scapegoats, and labelled them as being ‘hypersexual’ and therefore more likely to be rapists.

Courts martial were often little more than kangaroo courts, with men sent to the gibbet convicted on the flimsiest of evidence, and tried by officers with little or no legal training.

French victims were asked to identify their assailants from entire battalions of black soldiers, although often the rapes had been carried out in rooms that were barely lit, if at all.

In addition, another unpalatable truth is that many French women were as racist as the American officers.

Fears that some sort of ‘black terror’ was being unleashed on women in Normandy were carried far and wide, and it was all too easy to pin a crime on to a black soldier rather than a white one.

In addition, some French woman claimed to have been raped rather than admit that they had willingly had sex, and some prostitutes would threaten a rape accusation in order to extract more money out of a GI.

The liberation of their country was therefore a bittersweet affair for the French.

The crimes perpetrated by the Americans against the women also deeply affected French men, who felt emasculated by the Americans. They were bigger, stronger, richer and healthier, and had not spent years being subjugated and forced to serve under the heel of the German jackboot.

Although we like to think of the men who freed Europe as members of the ‘greatest generation’, and that the Allies had fought a ‘good war’, as Professor Roberts shows, the true story is a lot more complicated and disturbing.

Even today, there will be elderly women sitting on the other side of the Channel who close their eyes when they hear the word ‘liberation’.
http://pauleisen.blogspot.pt/2013/06...tation-of.html
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old June 29th, 2015 #3
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Sex and the stormtroopers: How French women fell for the Nazi invaders during the Second World War

Quote:
Previously unpublished pictures of French women cavorting and partying with Nazis have emerged, heaping fresh shame on the troubled wartime history of occupied France.

Images show women kissing SS officers in bars and cabarets, posing in bikinis on the beach and enjoying strolls under the Eiffel Tower.

The book, 1940 - 1945: Erotic Years by historian Patrick Buisson, is set to further embarrass the French who have never forgotten life living in close quarters with the enemy under the Vichy regime.

Despite more than two million Frenchmen being held in prisoner-of-war camps, the birth rate boomed in 1942 with an estimated 200,000 children born to Franco-German couples. Up to 30 per cent of births were illegitimate in some parts of Paris.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3eV06G78c

French female collaborator punished by having her head shaved to publicly mark her, 1944

Quote:
Throughout France, from 1943 to the beginning of 1946, about 20000 women of all ages and all professions who were accused of having collaborated with the occupying Germans had their heads shaved. Just as the identity of those who carried this task out varied so too did the form it took. For example, among those who carried it out can be found members of the Resistance, those who took part in fighting at the time of the Liberation, neighbors who came down into the street once the Germans had left and men whose authority depended on the police and the courts. All of them carried put this violent deed either behind closed doors, inside the walls of a prison or the home of the women so punished, or in a public square. If, in the last instance, it was men who wielded the scissors and the clippers, the population as a whole – men, women and children – were present at the event, which was both a spectacle and a demonstration of the punishment to be meted out to traitors.

The imposition of punishment with distinct sexist overtone, characterized by branding or marking, has overshadowed its use for all acts of collaboration. After the war up to the present, photographs of the women with shaven heads have become the only evidence of practice about which those who carried it out have remained silent – attention has been directed at the victims and at the act itself, leaving both what preceded and followed it (collaboration, accusation, arrest, judgment, condemnation) neglected.
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/fren...cly-mark-1944/

Old June 29th, 2015 #4
N.B. Forrest

Natchully Perfesser Mary Louise finds it Necessary to make sure that Affakin-'Merkin sodjers are portrayed as one of the victims: of COURSE there's absolutely no reason to suspect that the same footed dicks that commit 20-30,000 rapes of American White women every year would do the same in a prostrate France that they'd been told was giant why whorehouse..... This is not to say that far too many of the "white" Greatest Generation Liberators weren't also guilty as hell.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Thread