VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th, 2014 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Songwriting Thread

[this thread is for interviews with songwriters/singers]

I was reading some of your old interviews about writing terrible old poetry, which I can obviously relate to as someone who is trying to be a writer as a living. Where do you think you saw a shift where you started writing things that you liked? Or have you had that?

That’s such a good question! I always think about that. I think it’s when [I wrote] the songs I wrote for the first EP. That was only when I was like 21 or so, so I’d already been playing for a few years performing solo. Just singing those really terrible singer-songwriter songs. Then I kind of stepped back from myself. I don’t know what the change was. I think I just tried to simplify things and stopped trying to write a “good song.” Because that’s what I was always trying to do, trying to write a catchy song and blah blah blah. Then I was just experimenting, like, 'how about you write a song with one chord that doesn’t have a chorus and see if you can make it interesting?' So it was a bit more of an experiment. And that led to finding my own comfortable voice, which led on to this.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/courtney...avant-gardener

Tags

Thread