Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 24th, 2013 #1
keifer
Senior Member
 
keifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,216
keifer
Default Animal Husbandry: Goats, Chickens,Pork.

What do you know about raising chickens, goats, pork: Protein.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #2
Mr A.Anderson
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,481
Default

We considered chickens a few times, but have decided against it for a few reasons. Our cats and dogs. Without going into a long story, a free range chicken would last about 12 seconds with our dogs. A cooped chicken wouldn't last a day with our outside cats. We live surrounded by corn, soybean, and wheat fields (literally butts up against our property line). Every fall, when the fields were cut, our house and garage would be invaded by hundreds of field mice. Our cats (inside and outside) are very busy, and very good at their job. Unfortunately, they kill everything that even thinks of making its way onto our property. I haven't seen a squirrel, rabbit, or groundhog for 7 years, and birds won't even frequent our smaller, decorative trees.

Larger animals like goats or sheep would be possible, but honestly, our property just isn't big enough (only 3/4 acre) to accommodate them.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #3
Olesia Rhoswen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Olesia Rhoswen
Default

Quote:
Larger animals like goats or sheep would be possible, but honestly, our property just isn't big enough (only 3/4 acre) to accommodate them.
3/4 acres? That's plenty of room for all kinds of things, Mr. Anderson! Check these guys out:

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2007/09/06/107/

LOCATION
Pasadena, CA
(Northwest Pasadena, one mile from downtown Pasadena 100 yards from 11 lanefreeway)

PROPERTY SIZE
1/5 acre (66' x 132' / 8,712 sq.ft.)

GARDEN SIZE
~ 1/10 acre (3,900 sq.ft. / ~ 66' x 66')

GARDEN DIVERSITY
~ 400 different vegetables, herbs, fruits, berries

FOOD PRODUCTION
~ 6,000 lbs annually / 99% of our produce $75,000 savings

URBAN HOMESTEAD SUPPORTS
4 full-time resident adults, a menagerie of animals, volunteers, and manyclients

ENERGY USAGE
$12 a month / 6.0 kwh day

WATER USAGE
$600 / 175,000 gallons a year

SOLAR POWER PRODUCED
12,410 kwh as of 5/12/10

GALLONS OF BIODIESEL MADE
2,500 gallons as of 5/12/08
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #4
Olesia Rhoswen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Olesia Rhoswen
Default

Chickens are the easiest critters in the world to raise. If you have a small family and don't go through too many eggs, a small flock of bantams hardly takes up any space. Build a little coop with a pen section covered in chicken wire, and move the pen across the yard every morning.

A few of my city dwelling friends own chickens. They purchase several from a farmer they know, enjoy eggs all summer and fall, and butcher the hens for the stewing pot before winter becomes too harsh for the hens to stay outdoors, as they don't have a winterized coop for them.

 
Old March 25th, 2013 #5
keifer
Senior Member
 
keifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,216
keifer
Default

What would it take to produce two dozen eggs per week?
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #6
Mr A.Anderson
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olesia Rhoswen View Post
Chickens are the easiest critters in the world to raise. If you have a small family and don't go through too many eggs, a small flock of bantams hardly takes up any space. Build a little coop with a pen section covered in chicken wire, and move the pen across the yard every morning.

A few of my city dwelling friends own chickens. They purchase several from a farmer they know, enjoy eggs all summer and fall, and butcher the hens for the stewing pot before winter becomes too harsh for the hens to stay outdoors, as they don't have a winterized coop for them.

The problem is, we have a large family (7 of us), and a very large 5 stall (coal furnace takes up an additional space)garage, enclosed breezeway connecting the house, driveway, and large paved parking lot. Add to that the septic system and leach bed, children's play set and trees, shooting range, and the small amount of space I have set off for a garden...... raising livestock larger than a tiny chicken coop or rabbit pen would be nearly impossible. The lay of our property isn't conducive for it, unfortunately.

I'm going to look into that chicken coop you posted, however. That thing looks like it would be cat and dog proof.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #7
Olesia Rhoswen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Olesia Rhoswen
Default

Quote:
What would it take to produce two dozen eggs per week?
Four hens ideally. Chickens would lay an egg a day but most often they don't, depending upon all sorts of things (age, available light, diet). About 4 feet square space per bird is recommended if they aren't free range.

If you plan to purchase hens, find a breed that will do well in your climate. We've had a few breeds that just can't stand the cold, like Silkies... the most adorable birds, but they wilted and died while our Barred Rock hen (example below) plows through winter with ease.



Just came across this excellent chart: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders...ks/chooks.html

Plymouth, or Barred Rock chickens are an old American breed, known for above average egg production, being cold hardy, and their general good-naturedness. I think I'll stick with them, once I get my own flock.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #8
Olesia Rhoswen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Olesia Rhoswen
Default

Quote:
I'm going to look into that chicken coop you posted, however. That thing looks like it would be cat and dog proof.


Here it is... this is the sort of space-saving design I was originally searching for. You could square off the sides easy enough to save more space. A small raised coop above their wire-enclosed pen area provides summertime shade, too.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #9
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker
 
Marse Supial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where "Yes" Is A Two-Syllable Word.
Posts: 3,822
Marse Supial
Default

I grew up around all that kind of stuff, my dad and grandfather raising cows and pigs and such but then I moved off the the big city (pop. 7500) and haven't been around that kind of thing since. I'm probably romanticizing it because it is a lot of work, but I miss it.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #10
Olesia Rhoswen
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Olesia Rhoswen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
I grew up around all that kind of stuff, my dad and grandfather raising cows and pigs and such but then I moved off the the big city (pop. 7500) and haven't been around that kind of thing since. I'm probably romanticizing it because it is a lot of work, but I miss it.
It is a lot of work, but that is no reason why not to romanticize it.

Country: In the morning, you rise before the sun to water the garden and animals, and listen to the birds as they begin to chirp awake. The mist rises with the sun, and you check off the next chore on your list before heading in for breakfast.

City: You rise to the sound of squealing buses and the domestic abuse next door, you're not at first sure of the time because that streetlight is always shining in your window. You shower, but there wasn't much point because to get to work you're packed like a sardine on the subway with people who stink of curry and sweat.
 
Reply

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.
Page generated in 0.11948 seconds.