Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 20th, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Rice - Clear Up Confusion?

I have tried and failed to sort this out. Is any kind of rice good for you? I know they claim, and I accept, that white rice is basically not nutritious. Really not any good for you, although perhaps not terribly bad. But they seem to claim some kind of non-white rice IS good for you. I can never for the life of me understand just which kind of rice this is. So, if you know, grant me the modest favor of posting a mugshot of this rice, whether running wild or domesticated in a bag. Thank you, O people of paddy knowledge.

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 20th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Old September 20th, 2012 #2
procopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I have tried and failed to sort this out. Is any kind of rice good for you? I know they claim, and I accept, that white rice is basically not nutritious. Really not any good for you, although perhaps not terribly. But they seem to claim some kind of non-white rice IS good for you. I can never for the life of me understand just which kind of rice this is. So, if you know, grant me the modest favor of posting a mugshot of this rice, whether running wild or domesticated in a bag. Thank you, O people of paddy knowledge.
<speculation>attacking rice, is attacking China</speculation>

I seem to recall (lately) that some in the US government are mad that China was putting tariffs over imported US products (like automobiles) to secure an economic advantage. Thus, telling the stupid American public ( through the media) that "rice is bad for you" could be a 'stealth counter tariff' without having to issue a real and needed one and still seem to be completely free-trade-ish. Sorta like "freedom-fires." I have a feeling, and I don't know absolutely, that the majority of the world's rice supply comes from Asia (China). It's really just a 'fuck you' to China, and has nothing to do with health. Why? because the American public is stupid enough to believe that rice is bad for you just because some one on the news said so.

Old September 20th, 2012 #3
Dawn Cannon

Brown Basmati Rice

Grown in the foothills of the Himalayas, basmati is small, long-grained non-glutinous rice. Brown basmati, being less processed than white rice, retains its whole-grain nutritional value. Basmati has the highest content of all rice for amino acids and essential nutrients. Rice is also healthy for what it doesn't contain: fat, cholesterol, sodium and gluten.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...#ixzz2730Y4iLE

Old September 20th, 2012 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
I have tried and failed to sort this out. Is any kind of rice good for you? I know they claim, and I accept, that white rice is basically not nutritious. Really not any good for you, although perhaps not terribly. But they seem to claim some kind of non-white rice IS good for you. I can never for the life of me understand just which kind of rice this is. So, if you know, grant me the modest favor of posting a mugshot of this rice, whether running wild or domesticated in a bag. Thank you, O people of paddy knowledge.
I'll describe a minority opinion held by an even smaller minority among the low-carb, specifically the paleo-diet types. No picture is needed, you know what cheap, white, refined rice looks like.

The opinion is that this is a safe starch that can be indulged in from time to time. The thinking goes like this:

All grains are bad. Whole grains are worse than refined grains. The worst are gluten grains. The worst gluten grain is wheat. Even non-gluten grains contain lectins, other protiens, and phytates that are poisonous to some degree to humans. Of all grains, white refined rice is the least damaging. It has been stripped of its most dangerous parts, namely the germ. It is simply a carb bomb. If you have little problems with glucose-insulin metabolism then an occasional meal with white rice is fairly harmless. There are some observational and epidemiological evidences that back this up.

*) No one on earth is stupid enough to eat brown rice but American food-hippies. Asians, particularly the Japanese, are healthy as hell and they eat white, refined rice, not brown rice.

*) People who go on extreme low-carb diets do very well for a time and then seem to crash. Occasional, small portions of white rice seem to set things back to normal, and they can pretty much stay on the low carb diet.

The main proponent of this safe-starch for low-carbers is Paul Jaminet. Here is his web site: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

He also lists white peeled potatoes as a safe-starch.

My personal observation is that the chronic inflammation in my right hip is set off by any amount of grain (whole grains are the worse) except white rice. I don't have any glucose-insulin problems and white rice seems neutral to me.

Mike

Old September 20th, 2012 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Cannon View Post

Brown Basmati Rice

Grown in the foothills of the Himalayas, basmati is small, long-grained non-glutinous rice. Brown basmati, being less processed than white rice, retains its whole-grain nutritional value. Basmati has the highest content of all rice for amino acids and essential nutrients. Rice is also healthy for what it doesn't contain: fat, cholesterol, sodium and gluten.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...#ixzz2730Y4iLE
Thanks. I will try this when I find it.

Old September 20th, 2012 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I'll describe a minority opinion held by an even smaller minority among the low-carb, specifically the paleo-diet types. No picture is needed, you know what cheap, white, refined rice looks like.

The opinion is that this is a safe starch that can be indulged in from time to time. The thinking goes like this:

All grains are bad. Whole grains are worse than refined grains. The worst are gluten grains. The worst gluten grain is wheat. Even non-gluten grains contain lectins, other protiens, and phytates that are poisonous to some degree to humans. Of all grains, white refined rice is the least damaging. It has been stripped of its most dangerous parts, namely the germ. It is simply a carb bomb. If you have little problems with glucose-insulin metabolism then an occasional meal with white rice is fairly harmless. There are some observational and epidemiological evidences that back this up.

*) No one on earth is stupid enough to eat brown rice but American food-hippies. Asians, particularly the Japanese, are healthy as hell and they eat white, refined rice, not brown rice.

*) People who go on extreme low-carb diets do very well for a time and then seem to crash. Occasional, small portions of white rice seem to set things back to normal, and they can pretty much stay on the low carb diet.

The main proponent of this safe-starch for low-carbers is Paul Jaminet. Here is his web site: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

He also lists white peeled potatoes as a safe-starch.

My personal observation is that the chronic inflammation in my right hip is set off by any amount of grain (whole grains are the worse) except white rice. I don't have any glucose-insulin problems and white rice seems neutral to me.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I wasn't coming from that angle specifically, low-carb. But I do try to avoid bread and sugar, and largely do. I do eat potatoes, even though I believe what hte carbists say, that it's not really good for you. I like the taste. Rice I like too. I've always eaten white rice. I do tend to believe what I've read, which is that it's not particularly nutritious. So I'm trying to find a rice that is more nutritious and tastes good too. I don't eat huge amounts of rice in any case.

Rice is parallel to bread: every kind is supposedly bad for you, and then 1-2 are good, but the good ones are never stuff you can find in an ordinary store. And they you forget which ones they are. It's irritating. I would like to eat the most nutritious rice and bread possible, or forego them if it's not. Yes, my only concern is health or I should say performance related. I need every possible ounce of energy I can get out of food so I can get work done. Years ago, didn't matter, never had problems. Now I don't have the margin.

Old September 20th, 2012 #7
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I'll describe a minority ...

Good post Mike.

Quote:
Thanks, Mike. I wasn't coming from that angle specifically, low-carb. But I do try to avoid bread and sugar, and largely do. I do eat potatoes, even though I believe what hte carbists say, that it's not really good for you. I like the taste. Rice I like too. I've always eaten white rice. I do tend to believe what I've read, which is that it's not particularly nutritious. So I'm trying to find a rice that is more nutritious and tastes good too. I don't eat huge amounts of rice in any case.
I'd second Mike's notion: Don't bother with whole-grain rice. Any small amount of additional nutrients and vitamins that's gained is offset by the anti-nutrients. There is not a big difference, but white is slightly preferable, and add to that cheaper/much more available.

Quote:
Rice is parallel to bread: every kind is supposedly bad for you, and then 1-2 are good, but the good ones are never stuff you can find in an ordinary store. And they you forget which ones they are. It's irritating. I would like to eat the most nutritious rice and bread possible, or forego them if it's not.
Yeah. There is not an easy answer if they are worth avoiding all together, all depends on the alternatives. You could do great without both, given that you have access to good quality fruit, veggies, meat and milk. But both* could also be included beneficially, and definitely keeps the time (both cooking, shopping&planning) and money spent on food down, which also must be considered.

Rice is better in the way that it is easily assimilated and it doesn't contain any potential allergens or irritants that could be a problem. It is used as a golden staple that most can handle when dealing with major food-allergy/ other GI-problems, which might be of relevance for you. Also, it has not had been subjected to the same loss in quality and that grains generally have the last decades.
Quote:
Yes, my only concern is health or I should say performance related. I need every possible ounce of energy I can get out of food so I can get work done. Years ago, didn't matter, never had problems. Now I don't have the margin.
I sympathize with you wanting to get as much energy as ever possible given your condition, and have myself the same outlook on food. The preoccupation with pleasant eating, good taste, interesting food etc. takes the back seat when your health takes a hit. Or atleast it should. Food for fuel and function, everything else is secondary.

Old September 21st, 2012 #8
Susan

Dr. Joe does not think rice is a good food. But, I think if you don't overdo it, rice can be okay in small doses.

Dawn, I love basmati rice. It smells like popcorn when it's cooking. It tastes good, too. It's the only kind of rice I'll eat. Occasionally.

Old September 21st, 2012 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

I'll have to try basmati.

I thought the reason the japanese were so small in centuries past was their rice and seaweed diet.

Old September 21st, 2012 #10
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Thanks, Mike. I wasn't coming from that angle specifically, low-carb. But I do try to avoid bread and sugar, and largely do. I do eat potatoes, even though I believe what hte carbists say, that it's not really good for you.
Potatoes gets an undeserving bad rep. Granted it's cooked right and not in shitty oils, it's good food. Complete, high quality protein, otherwise only found in animal products, which makes it pretty much unique as a vegetable. Packs the same amount of protein per pound as milk - so "empty carbs" as many claim, they are not. Good idea for vegetarians to include as a staple.

Old September 21st, 2012 #11
Bardamu
Banned

According to primal diet theory rice, even though a starch, is neutral. Not eating it is recommended. Wild rice is best, then white, and finally brown.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/searc...s=718j216612j4

Old September 21st, 2012 #12
N.B. Forrest

When I eat rice at home it's the parboiled variety, since I read its sugars hit the bloodstream slower than that of other kinds. For the same reason, I try to eat whole grain breads instead of white. Never heard that darker grains are worse for you then the more refined ones; always heard the opposite in fact.

Always contradictory health info....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old September 22nd, 2012 #13
M.N. Dalvez

Coloured varieties of rice (purple/black rice) are supposed to be richer than normal varieties in antioxidants (anthocyanin), amino acids, and several minerals. I have tried this rice a few times, and it strikes me that it would be best for sticky rice type recipes. It's quite good to eat, though.

Quote:
I thought the reason the japanese were so small in centuries past was their rice and seaweed diet.
It's got more to do with the lack of protein in the traditional Japanese diet - high amounts of carbs, high amounts of vegetables, low amounts of protein.

The longevity of Japanese people in past times, and especially Okinawans, is down to this diet and also down to their not overeating (and avoiding a lot of the health problems people in modern societies get).

Old September 22nd, 2012 #14
M.N. Dalvez

I'm not saying this applies to anyone here, but...

It amazes me that modern people can listen to dietiticians saying things like 'potatoes are bad for you', or 'rice is bad for you', and people listen to them... while eating all kinds of bad things to excess.

Also, I think the real problem with brown rice is its lack of shelf-life - after about 6 months it is well past its prime, because the oils in the bran go rancid. White rice keeps for years, because the husk and the bran has been removed, retaining the most stable parts.

I think a lot of people are eating brown rice when it's gone off, because they assume it's got the same shelf life as white rice - and wondering why it tastes like warm arse.

Old September 23rd, 2012 #15
8Man
"moderate" radical

Default Arsenic in rice

If you're looking for an excuse to avoid rice, check out the recent "arsenic in rice" scare articles. Ex: Reports find alarming amount of arsenic in rice

Bangladesh has relatively high concentration of arsenic in the soil and ground-water, their rice grown in it picks up some arsenic, but it doesn't seem to have slowed their population growth.

My rice preference ranking is:

- wild rice (most expensive, hardest to find, best nutritional content, lowest glycemic load)

- brown basmati (more expensive than white, usually available, good nutritional content, moderate glycemic load)

- any white rice (cheapest rice, readily available, some nutritional content, highest glycemic load)

Old September 24th, 2012 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Let's say for the purposes of discussion that I'm a low-rent schlub living in a small midwestern town of 17,000. Now...is my town likely to HAVE wild rice offered anywhere? My guess is no. The brown rice I have tried here, I don't know what it was specifically called, but it was far inferior in taste to the ordinary refined white rice I can get everywhere.

I'm just looking for a simple two-part answer:

1) what is the most nutritious rice?

2) where can an actual person actually get that rice?

Old September 30th, 2012 #17
Stronza

1. Brown rice is best IF you chew each mouthful about 100 times. Also, brown rice is not recommended for those with weak digestion.

2. White rice is better, esp. basmati.

I got my information from Dr. of oriental medicine Michael Tierra. I respect him a lot, have been reading his stuff for 30 years; he looks at all sides of an issue.

His article on health dish kichari is well worth reading.

Excerpt:

Why White Rice?

Rice is universally regarded as one of the most perfectly balanced foods. The difference between naturally brown and white rice is that brown rice has all of the out skin or bran intact while white rice has been mechanically polished to remove part or all of the bran depending on one's digestive capability. Japanese Macrobiotics favors the use of brown rice but they also advocate chewing each mouthful of food 80 to 100 times. For most this is extremely impractical and overly rigid especially since many older people may not even retain all of their teeth for proper chewing. White rice has less of the whole food nutritional elements of brown rice but it is better assimilated. Further, by adding beans or other proteinaceous foods to white rice what is lost nutritionally is mostly replaced.

Basmati rice is preferred because it is the best nutritionally and the most delicious variety. It is more expensive because it yields less per acre than all other types of rice. Assuming that one is taking kichari because they are in a weakened state and must have food that is easily digested, polished white basmati rice would be the best to use.

However, recognizing that just as our outer physical body must be moderately challenged to develop one might use more whole grains such as brown rice to maintain digestive strength. The rule is that when one is weaker white rice used with kichari is best. However, to develop and maintain digestive power one can make kichari with whole brown basmati rice or a judicious mixture of both.

As an aside, in rural villages throughout Asia, people would bring their rice to the local miller. Depending on their need, they could specify how much of the bran to leave or remove in the milling process. For older people or individuals with weaker digestion, more or all of the bran is polished away.

http://www.planetherbs.com/diet/kich...-the-gods.html

Last edited by Stronza; October 1st, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old October 1st, 2012 #18
M.N. Dalvez

If you're not in a city and not near a rice-growing region?

Plain old white rice would be best.

If you have digestive problems, you can make rice porridge (the Asians call it congee), which is very easy to eat and digest.

Old October 2nd, 2012 #19
R. Pearson
The Jew Hunter

White rice stores better than brown rice and has a bit less nutritional value; both are good sources of complex carbs. Other than that, it comes down to taste. Rice is probably best used as a "meal filler", as is common in Asia. Salad and potatoes served (serve?) much the same purpose in Europe and America.

Hand-harvested Wild rice is very good, and the most nutritious, but it's ridiculously expensive. Whole Foods usually has several varieties, but even Walmart carries some. There are also online sources, such as Meijer and Northwoods (Michigan and Minnesota, I believe).

Tags
diet, food, nutrition, rice!, vegetables

Thread