VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 8th, 2005 #1
Chain

Default For demos-We need 700 backpacked kilobits per second

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/ar...076525,00.html
Quote:
Imagine this scenario: it's a near-future national election, and protesters are out in force. Wanting to be able to (a) make a record of the event, and (b) keep track of troublemakers among both the police and the crowd, organizers distribute cheap wireless webcams to a number of participants. The webcams are routed through a backpack like this one (although probably with a longer life, whether due to more efficient components or a bigger battery), so that what they see is immediately sent out over the Internet, viewable by anyone and easily archived in dozens of different locations anywhere in the world. Additional backpack routers mean wider coverage for webcams.

In time, the hardware to do this will get smaller and require less electricity, just as solar panels will continue to become more powerful; expect to see a similar set-up able to operate 24/7 within a few years. The real wildcard in this is the availability of high-speed cellular networks. EV-DO is not universally available, and is incompatible with the GSM "3G" system slowly being rolled out in Europe. I'm sure it will all be worked out eventually...
http://worldchanging.com/
Quote:
I love the fact that more and more devices are sporting built-in Wi-Fi—the Sony PSP, smartphones, even Kodak’s EasyShare-One digital camera. The lone hitch: Wi-Fi is useless without a hotspot. Sure, thousands of spots are available, but few are free, and coverage is far from ubiquitous. What if you could marry the short-range power of Wi-Fi with the huge coverage areas of high-speed cellular services such as EV-DO to create a portable hotspot? You could use any Wi-Fi-enabled gadget anywhere you’ve got a cell signal. Play multiplayer games with friends in the park, or blog an event in real-time. Since EV-DO works at freeway speeds, you could even give Internet access to an entire road-trip caravan.
Those are exactly the kinds of things you can do with the backpack below. Its secret ingredient: the Junxion Box. Plug a cellular-network card into the book-size open-source-based device, and voilа—instant Wi-Fi hotspot, with speeds averaging around 700 kilobits per second. To power the box, I wired it to a 1.2-amp-hour battery and dropped both into the Voltaic Systems backpack, which has a built-in solar charger. Now I can surf for as long as three hours without being tethered to anything but a cell signal. The project isn’t cheap, but prices for the components and service are sure to come down in the next year or so. In the meantime, you can find me in the hills around Southern California. I’ll be the one surrounded by PSP-packing hikers.

See more photos of the backpack here.

Parts List
• Junxion Box wireless gateway $700; junxionbox.com
• Verizon Wireless EV-DO PCMCIA card $100; verizonwireless.com
• Voltaic Systems solar-charging backpack $230; voltaicsystems.com

These parts are available at any electronics store:
• 12-volt battery with spade terminals, 1.2 or higher amp-hour $15
• Male DC power plug, size M $5
• 18-gauge wire, black and red $5
• Female insulated quick-disconnect connectors, crimp-type, sized for battery spade terminals $3
• In-line fuse holder $7
• 20-amp fuse 50 cents

Quote:
Instructions
1) Plug in your EV-DO card and set up the Junxion Box to automatically assign TCP/IP addresses using DHCP, and disable the authentication splash page.

2) To build the power-adapter cable, cut a length of red wire and a length of black. Strip one end of each wire and crimp a spade terminal connector onto each.

Strip the other end of the red wire, and solder it to one end of the fuse holder. Wrap the connection in electrical tape. Take apart the male DC power plug. Solder the end of the black wire to the negative terminal of the plug and the red wire to the positive. Wrap the exposed positive connection in electrical tape, and reassemble the power plug. Install a 20-amp fuse.

3) Connect the Junxion Box cigarette-lighter adapter to the backpack “power out” plug.

4) Connect the battery cable to the “battery” plug on the backpack’s charge controller.

5) Take a hike!

Old July 8th, 2005 #2
Chain

$599 unit does video at 30 frames per second:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...mpressions.htm
Quote:
Movie Mode
While the still capabilities on the EasyShare-One are adequate, the video recording quality and movie mode is impressive. The EasyShare-One will record full motion VGA video at 640 x 480 resolution at 30 frames per second up to the card's capacity. The movies are recorded in MPEG-4 format. Unlike most digital cameras, the One can zoom during video shooting; with the One?s massive internal memory, the camera is a strong competitor in the hybrid imaging market.

...Wi-Fi chip for remote internet access and spotlight its viewing and sharing capabilities. A true blend of viewer and recorder, the EasyShare One made quite a stir upon its announcement at CES. A demonstration model made its debut at the show; the One is still in the works, and the final version is slated to arrive in June 2005. Here's an initial look at the information available.

The One has four megapixels of shooting power and 256 Megabytes of internal image storage -- enough to hold 1,500 photographs. The wireless card can sync with personal computer, desktops, and Ofoto, which has recently been renamed the Kodak EasyShare Gallery.

Resolution
The Kodak EasyShare One has a 4.23-megapixel CCD with four effective megapixels; this should be sufficient for prints up to 11 x 14.

=========================
http://boards.pathfinder.com/[email protected]
Quote:
Topic: cheaper "Be Your Own Hotspot" alternative
rasprague - created 01:25am Jul 8, 2005 EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to knock the "Be Your Own Hotspot" (genually clever), could the same thing be done as so?:
Cheap laptop (perhaps also your favorite Linux distro), USB Bluetooth Dongle,

http://www.usbgear.com/169745.html
Quote:
Why buy a USB Bluetooth Dongle?

Connect your PC/laptop to your Bluetooth mobile phone:
• Transfer files
• Browse the Internet
• Download & send emails
• Backup & synchronise contacts/calendar
• Transfer videos, pictures & music (BUT INSTANEOUS PHOTOS FROM CAMERA TO BACKPACK NOT THEREBY POSSIBLE, CORRECT? EDIT: BLUETOOTH SAID NOT TO BE FAST ENOUGH FOR VIDEO TRANSFER)
802.11 card Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone (used as a PPP modem connection over bluetootrh), and that solor-cell plastered backback

Just an idea for the cheap bastards out there.

Old July 8th, 2005 #3
Chain

$229 solar daypack-
http://www.voltaicsystems.com/bag_daypack.shtml

Required "Junxion Box" at $700-
http://www.junxionbox.com/
http://www.junxion.com/product/

Old July 8th, 2005 #4
Chain

Unfortunately, this following recording device is made by an Israeli company.
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002377.html
Quote:
...an Israeli company, Natural Widget, is now selling an application which will automatically record your mobile phone conversations.
http://www.naturalwidgets.com/products/naturalrecorder/
Quote:
About NaturalRecorder

Natural Widgets is proud to announce the introduction of the first automatic software-based mobile phone call recording tool with memory-management, NaturalRecorder.

By just installing NaturalRecorder onto your Nokia Series 60 cell phone (other manufacturers to be supported in the near future) you can automatically record all of you phone calls, whether you received the call or placed it.

NaturalRecorder dedicates a user-specified amount of memory to recording telephone calls, and will continually record phone calls up to the specified amount of minutes - removing older calls outside the time limit as new calls are recorded. You can always save specific calls so they are not automatically deleted.
Within the application on your phone you can review all recorded calls, playing them back on your command.

NaturalRecorder can be configured to exclude people from being recorded, based on a phone book listing or a specific phone number.

Beep Tones:
When NaturalRecorder is active, there will be tones (short beeps) transmitted periodically during phone conversations, but only when the conversation is being recorded.
This will allow you (and your correspondant) to know if the recording feature is active (beeps - normal recording) or not (no beeps - the phone number is in the ignore list or the NaturalRecorder application was exited/disabled).

NaturalRecorder brings effortless call recording to everyone, allowing to bring back any important information that happened during phone calls.
Most important, NaturalRecorder does it's magic in the background without any user intervention, thanks to its revolutionary automatic memory management.
Never forget important information relayed by phone again.
Get NaturalRecorder now!

Old July 8th, 2005 #5
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

fascinating.

note that on NPR they were saying the British "turned off all cell phones" after the subway bombing.

the other day I was talking to a techie about chokepoints in the internet infrastructure, and he was saying that it was very diffuse. perhaps compared to other broadcast media it's diffuse, but there are chokepoints nonetheless.

Chain, to do your outstanding recorded audio-visual jounalism, you should have the right tools. Stan, Alex, Chain, let the forum know if there are specific needs and we shall see what we can do to help.

Old July 11th, 2005 #6
Chain

Well, there are currently not (unfortunately) enough White events to use the backpack. Plus, a poster on another board was mentioning that a 7amp sealed gel battery would work longer and be more reliable than a solar backpack.

But with this rig, one could cretae his own stories live. That'd be fun and a challenge. Man on the street interviews on racial news issues of the day, for example, might be mildly interesting.

I do hope this "Junxion Box" comes down from $700 soon. That's the expensive part of this setup. When I get my Skype back up, I'm going to ask Stan if this rig will indeed broadcast live internet video to VNNF.

Old July 19th, 2005 #7
Chass

Default willling to pray... & send money!

Is there any update on this yet? I take from reading this the main thing you need is this $700 junction box. Once you guys figure out what you need, I'm willing to put up the $200 I just found (in an wargame box I took out to play) towards this project if you guys could use it. Just let me know when and who to send it to as a money order. I hope that will help.

Old July 19th, 2005 #8
Chain

Thank You, Chass. If new VNN members participate as you have right out of the chute...well, our awakenings as a race had ought to continue at a full clip.

I am unsure if Stan and Alex want to go with this system yet. I expect that so long as it can be "fed" live through VNN's servers, it'll have viewer draw and recurring usefulness. And sure it can be recorded as it is fed.

Regarding covering newsworthy White events- VNN can attend those and also make our own. As a group- there are enough of us now working together (we proved it onn TAA1 & especially, 2) that we can head any direction we want and get the jobs accomplished.

I can say we are considering a nationwide drop of TAA#3 with video coverage. Some of the vid would be 'in-person' handouts, and this live junxion box setup would make it interesting. If the cops show up- we'd have 'em live on the internet. LOL. The possibilities are endless.

I'll talk to Alex and Stan via voice on the net and see. Or perhaps they'll both step in here.

No matter what, Chass- thank you again for your generous activist offer. Don't know how long you've been involved in WN- could be years or days- but it is heartening for the movement at VNN that we have yourself and so many others making things happen. Keep with us!

EDIT: I am looking at Panasonic and JVC 24P cameras too. Plus, there is a new WN film coming out OTHER than 'White Terror'. This one is made by WN.

Old July 19th, 2005 #9
Chain

Anyone know? Can this HDSDI converter then shoot a signal into/through the junxion box? They are compatible?

MORE & BETTER PHOTOS HERE-
http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_JVCproHD.html

This new JVC- not quite released- has 24P to appear as 35mm film. The two Sonys we talked about above do not have the feature. I'll take it at face value that 24P, by human habit of having long viewed 35mm, is a big thing to have...better than strictly HD DVD resolution.
Quote:
Don't wait! Reserve your spot in line. Please call for more information, 877-299-4111.
GY-HD100URetail: $6,295.00Our price: $5,495.00
http://dv411.com/gyhd100.html#Features
Quote:
Easy transfer to 16 mm or 35 mm film - Especially designed to facilitate transfer to 16 mm or 35 mm film, the GY-HD100 features a user selectable motion filter that enables it to provide smooth motion similar to that seen in motion pictures. This enables recordings to be transferred with full HD fidelity, without frame rate conversion.

Uncompressed 720p signal output - In addition to providing superior quality HD recording in the 24p format, the GY-HD100 can output an uncompressed 720p HD signal that▓s ideal for live broadcasting. With a third-party HDSDI converter, you can stream the uncompressed full-resolution signal to an array of systems.

With HD progressive 24 recording, you can shoot images with film-like quality and smooth motion performance that are ideal for DVD production.

Old July 19th, 2005 #10
Chain

This $800 box appears to be an example of the type unit needed for streaming from the JVC.

I still do not understand if this 'converted' signal is too compressed or complex to, in turn, be handled by the junxion box. Maybe somebody knows, and if they don't- I'll just write that 'Junxion' company.

Try to imagine what we could do with this. If I'm not wrong, it amounts to instant high quality VIDEO network TV from a website. It's almost as if the possibility now exists to nearly instantly become a TV netork- with a racial angle! Imagine two or three of these units going round the country, perhaps one with a pretty, White racist newsgirl talking!

A couple of 'catches':
1. To use the WI-FI system of the junxion box, you'd have to be in cities- the bigger cities. But there are a LOT of heavy duty crime stories there, as we all know. All that waits is for VNN to hit them LIVE with the racial angle.
2. It's a bit costly to chase the stories day after day. How could income be generated....from a documentary movie? Who would distribute THAT?
3. Cost could be kept low by either having a camper or only staying in $30-$35 motels when on the road, and even then just 2 out of each 5 or 7 days. Sleep and washup could be had at freeway rest stops for a Spartan. I know this, cause I travel this way now. A 4 cylinder car or jeep helps too.

Still and all, if all this is correct, and if we act decisively within the next 6 months or so, we could do this.

I may soon decide to foot the camera on my own. And I have no prob with the newsgathering aspect.

That'd just leave the Junxion box, the Marshall converter, and I'm sure, a few other fancy pieces of minor gear I haven't thought of.

In many cities, there are also a few renegade academics who've written Western Civ survival tracts. I just don't think content is daunting at all. It's how to make money off the darned thing to fuel White Freedom Party or media expansion for VNN. I'm certain we'd get the 'notice'. And the news. But we'd want to be sure to sustain and expand too. Over time, as we accumulated subject specific footage (whether live or canned), Stan could literally create 35mm movies!

http://www.ggvideo.com/mar_bc0909da.htm

Quote:
Universal Digital converter for HDSDI to Analog HD (SMPTE-274M) YprPb, RGBHV or SDI to Analog Composite, Y/C, YUV, RGB with support of 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080 24P, 1080i formats. The Digital to Analog conversion in this module employs 10-bit sampling and data path with 4x over sampling of chroma and an adaptive filter process. All Marshall Electronics Processing and Distribution modules include power supply and owners manual. An optional base holder (V-CB1) is available for use in desktop applications.
Converts HDSDI to Analog High Definition RGB or Y-Pr-Pb
Converts SDI to Analog Composite (PAL/NTSC)
Converts SDI to Y/C (S-Video)
Converts SDI to Analog Component RGB/Y, R-Y, B-Y/YUV
PAL/NTSC auto detection with led indicator
Active loop through for SDI signal with re-clocking
Automatic detection range of 142Mb/s to 1.485Gb/s
Automatic Compensation of SDI input for cable length up to 1000'
10-bit processing with 4x over sampling
A second convertor of the same type-
http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/e...October_03.pdf
http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/e...0_features.htm
"High Definition" magazine-
http://www.definitionmagazine.com/

A third, smaller unit-
http://www.aja.com/hdp.htm

Old July 19th, 2005 #11
Joe Snuffy

Chain,
When you, Stan and Alex figure out what exacty you are going to set yourself up with I am usualy good for $100. on short notice.

Old July 19th, 2005 #12
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snuffy
Chain,
When you, Stan and Alex figure out what exacty you are going to set yourself up with I am usualy good for $100. on short notice.
I think I can also scrounge up a Ben.

Old August 30th, 2005 #13
8Man
"moderate" radical

Default Low-cost satellite broadcasting time

Another possibility for distributing video content is Free-To-Air (FTA) satellite broadcasting. The audience may be 'small' (only 5 - 6 million), but they are usually more open-minded and willing to explore alternative ideas and viewpoints.

Rates start as low as $20./ half-hour. I'll donate $100. when VNN has something ready to air.

See the info at: U on TV

It covers most of North America. See Intelsat Americas 5 additional info.

FTA receiver & dish start as low as $100.

Old September 2nd, 2005 #14
Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Man
Another possibility for distributing video content is Free-To-Air (FTA) satellite broadcasting. The audience may be 'small' (only 5 - 6 million), but they are usually more open-minded and willing to explore alternative ideas and viewpoints.

Rates start as low as $20./ half-hour. I'll donate $100. when VNN has something ready to air.

See the info at: U on TV

It covers most of North America. See Intelsat Americas 5 additional info.

FTA receiver & dish start as low as $100.
Thanks 8Man- that's very good info, and your generosity is appreciated.

Several people have committed to donating for VNN video broadcasting, and I've mentioned it to Alex. And he has explained that he wants to accept only "non-specific" donations. I think he stated more or less that it is better that everything is kept generically VNN.

So for anyone who wants to become involved at this level- you can just send it in, but DON'T say "this is for VNN broadcasting" or any other slated VNN project (expect specific, stated purchases of The Aryan Alternative are obviously just fine).

Thanks to all for participation.

Thread