Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 2nd, 2008 #1
Ashiata

Default Dive Bomber Push Ups

IMHO, this is the single best body weight exercise I've ever done. I've been doing an easier variant of these, called a hindu pushup, but I'll be doing dive-bombers from now on. And heck, all you need is a floor!

Another good one is the hindu squat that you can see here. I definitely wouldn't do the full squat that he's doing because I've hurt my knee joints in the past. I only descend until my thighs are parallel to the floor.

Old April 2nd, 2008 #2
cillian

i just tried them out, and your right. they are great. hitting the top and bottom of the chest, i fell it in my shoulders a lot more than regular push ups and im suprised how much i feel them in my biceps.

Old April 2nd, 2008 #3
Ashiata

Excellent, cillian, I'm glad you like it. If there was only one exercise I could do, this would be it. Once you get used to the mechanics, it's a nice flowing motion. I really like to hold on the push back at the end, because I get a great stretch on my hamstrings and calves.

Old April 2nd, 2008 #4
Karl Lueger

Body-weight conditioning is great, one similar move thats excellent:
"Burpees", throw that in the mix to increase intensity.

Rambo, John J.

Old April 8th, 2008 #5
White Minority

Looks like murder on your shoulder joints...If it's chest size and big shoulders that you are after, do incline dumbell presses or bench press with the widest space between your hands possible.

Old April 8th, 2008 #6
Holly
Self Bannned

I do aerobics and do similar things like that, all I can say is watch your back doing these types of things if you are not used to exercise like this.
I also do pushups with my feet on a couch, since I am not after big muscles I like to just hold it and stretch rather than do many pushups.

Old April 11th, 2008 #7
Ashiata

No, it's not murder on your joints at all, if you pay attention to your form. I spent years in power lifting gyms doing exercises like good mornings, dead lifts, clean and jerks, etc, and I'd spend half my time recuperating from pulled muscles.

Dive bombers aren't for building mass, they're for combat conditioning and flexibility--If I wanted to build mass I'd get some free weights.

Here's my (respectful) challenge--try three sets to failure and notice where you're sore the next day. For me, I feel it in virtually every upper body muscle, including small muscles such as the trapezius that can be hard to target.

I do alternate them with other exercises (for which I have the necessary equipment) such as pull ups, dips, hyperextensions, crunches, etc.

The only time I've injured myself doing dive bombers or hindu pushups is a slight strain on my wrist, and then only because I was going at it too hard.

I still believe the dive bomber is the king of exercises.

We can't baby our bodies. I've torn muscles to the point I thought I'd broken bones, but at age 52, I'm still here, and strong enough to go after any savage simian.

Old April 25th, 2008 #8
Moose

Been trying these out lately. I feel it in my whole upper buddy the next day. I love it.

Thanks for bringing it to the forum.

Old April 25th, 2008 #9
Adamic Man

Can't watch it yet on dialup, but I have Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning book and I do the big three - Hindu squats, Hindu pushups and the back bridge into back pushups. I'm not a big muscle guy but this stuff keeps me in terrific shape and flexible.

There's one killer exercise in that book that I can only do three of at a time - you get in standard pushup position, then lower one shoulder toward the ground by bending the elbow, while raising the opposite side leg straight out behind you!

-AM

Old April 28th, 2008 #10
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

'Prison style' burpees work great as well.

Do them starting with a set of 10, then 9, then 8, etc...all the way down to 1 with a 90 second pause between sets.

Work your way up to starting with 15.

Old June 28th, 2012 #11
Angel Ramsey
Banned

These are a part of the Chest and Back workout my old man does for P90X. I can always tell when he's doing them, because he likes to yell, "Fuck you, Tony!" at the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGlp...S|b|3303468744

Thread