VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 9th, 2008 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default Tard has a new toy ...

and the deer are running scared.

This is the hunting rifle that I mentioned in a previous post that was under consideration for purchase. Took the plunge and am now looking for a place to hunt. I think it would be good to put a couple of deer in the freezer this season if possible.

Come to poppa little deer. You won't feel a thing.

Edit: I was going to put this in the Eating forum since this is all about hunting and eventually eating some high value deer protein. Maybe we can get Alex to create a hunting forum?

Last edited by OTPTT; November 15th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Old November 10th, 2008 #2
OTPTT
Banned

I thought for sure there might be one or two comments from a couple of you guys. I can't believe there are no hunters on these forums.

By the way I found out today that I can hunt on my own property which just happens to have deer on it. In fact one of my neighbors has a deer stand toward the back of his property near the line that demarcates mine and his property. I've found empty deer corn sacks on my property that I know came from him but that has come to a stop and I had better not find anymore on my property or catch him shooting deer on my property either.

He uses a bow by the way which is what I was considering doing myself. A guy told me a little while ago where I could find a very nice $300 bow with bells and whistles at a local pawn shop for about $75. Apparently the woman who runs it doesn't know what she has or that's the story anyway. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow since it may be ill advised to be hunting with nearby houses using my new rifle.

In Alabama the primary property owner (title holder) can lawfully hunt on his\her property. When I was living out there in the tent last year I actually heard deer walking around at night and early morning so the chances are good of my putting one or two in the freezer this winter. Even had two jump out from a bush next door within a couple of feet of me which scared the daylights out of me but was cool once I realized what had happened.

Old November 10th, 2008 #3
Art Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I thought for sure there might be one or two comments from a couple of you guys. I can't believe there are no hunters on these forums.

By the way I found out today that I can hunt on my own property which just happens to have deer on it. In fact one of my neighbors has a deer stand toward the back of his property near the line that demarcates mine and his property. I've found empty deer corn sacks on my property that I know came from him but that has come to a stop and I had better not find anymore on my property or catch him shooting deer on my property either.

He uses a bow by the way which is what I was considering doing myself. A guy told me a little while ago where I could find a very nice $300 bow with bells and whistles at a local pawn shop for about $75. Apparently the woman who runs it doesn't know what she has or that's the story anyway. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow since it may be ill advised to be hunting with nearby houses using my new rifle.

In Alabama the primary property owner (title holder) can lawfully hunt on hisher property. When I was living out there in the tent last year I actually heard deer walking around at night and early morning so the chances are good of my putting one or two in the freezer this winter. Even had two jump out from a bush next door within a couple of feet of me which scared the daylights out of me but was cool once I realized what had happened.
As far as I know,most places allow hunting on your own property (or some one else's,with permission).Here you can as long as you're 75 yards away from any buildings.

P.S. I didn't get a deer or any birds today,but I did find a whole bunch of chantrelle mushrooms.

Last edited by Art Cast; November 10th, 2008 at 02:56 AM.

Old November 10th, 2008 #4
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltih145 View Post
As far as I know,most places allow hunting on your own property (or some one else's,with permission).Here you can as long as you're 75 yards away from any buildings.

P.S. I didn't get a deer or any birds today,but I did find a whole bunch of chantrelle mushrooms.
Well I'm new to hunting so I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me. Would be more comfortable knowing I could get a kill with a rifle but a bow and arrow might do just the trick. Will have to build me a "tree house" similar to a tree blind and get out there before sunrise and see what comes down the trail.

Should be fun. Except for the gutting which I've never done before and heard can be tricky if one nicks the intestines which can contaminate the edible meat.

Old November 10th, 2008 #5
Kievsky

What kind of rifle is it and how much was it? It looks very unusual, and the front of the scope is huge. What kind of scope is it?

Old November 10th, 2008 #6
Art Cast

Quote:
Well I'm new to hunting so I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me. Would be more comfortable knowing I could get a kill with a rifle but a bow and arrow might do just the trick. Will have to build me a "tree house" similar to a tree blind and get out there before sunrise and see what comes down the trail.

Should be fun. Except for the gutting which I've never done before and heard can be tricky if one nicks the intestines which can contaminate the edible meat.
If you nick the intestines you wont ruin the meat,you'll ruin some of the meat.I once gut shot a deer(not proud of it,but these things will happen)and I only through away a few pounds of meat where the bullet exited.It was pretty messy though and I had to clean it very carefully or I could have lost much more.

just remembered something

Depending on where I plan on hunting I sometimes stuff my clothes into a bag full of cedar,juniper,sagebrush,etc. for a few days before I go out.A lot of the time I forget this step,but it's a pretty good trick to remember.It really hides human scent.

Old November 10th, 2008 #7
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
What kind of rifle is it and how much was it? It looks very unusual, and the front of the scope is huge. What kind of scope is it?
The rifle is a Savage 110FP Tactical (Sniper) in .308 with a AccuTrigger adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 to 6 lbs, matte blued barreled action, 24" heavy free-floating and button rifled barrel, over sized bolt handle, internal box magazine with four plus one cartridge capacity.

Savage 110FP Tactical (Sniper) in .308

Mine is one of their older models but is closest in specs to their current 10FPXP HS Precision which is offered in .308 only. Here's a pic below of the newer Savage 10FPXP HS Precision just mentioned which you see is very similar to mine except that I believe my scope might provide a bit more information and power at further distances.

Savage 10FPXP HS Precision

The current Savage 110FP (not pictured but on their website) is offered in only 25-06 Rem or 300 Win Mag calibers but not in the .308 Win.

My scope is a Springfield Armory 4x14x56 Government model good out to and beyond 1000 yards as is the rifle itself.

The stock is a synthetic aftermarket tactical molded alloy bedding made specifically for that barrell. As already mentioned it's a 24" heavy free-floating barrell which provides for greater accuracy. The bipod is mounted to the stock and is adjustable including the length of the leg themselves.

It weighs between 10 and 14 pounds which isn't an impediment to carrying it out in the field although that won't be a habit.

Along with the rifle, scople, stock, bipod, sling, case, and manual. It also came with 650 rounds of .308 match grade ammunition. Three reloading dyes for reloading these .308 rounds, a bottle of rifle powder, a wind speed gauge, a bullet like plug that seats into the breach after shooting and seals the end of the barrel for filling it with a solvent\lubricant for post shooting cleaning, a spring loaded dry firing cartridge, and an allen wrench for adjust the scope as needed.

Total cost was $1,200 for everything listed above which I believe was an excellent deal. The newer Savage 10FPXP HS Precision sells for $2,539.00 for what's pictured above plus a hard shell case.

Last edited by OTPTT; November 10th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.

Old November 10th, 2008 #8
reactionary

Don't stop now. Get into reloading.

Old November 10th, 2008 #9
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionary View Post
Don't stop now. Get into reloading.
I'm looking into reloading. From what I understand I'll need a press, a set of powder scales, and a tumbler for cleaning spent brass.

Old November 10th, 2008 #10
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
As already stated it's a Springfield Armory 4x14x56 Government model. Here's a pic of the the stamped end of the scope.

Old November 10th, 2008 #11
Bardamu
Banned

Quote:

I hear the carry of of the woods is not so fun either. Deer ticks. Sounds like a really good price on that. Was that a special deal or is that price generally available?

Old November 10th, 2008 #12
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardamu View Post
I hear the carry of of the woods is not so fun either. Deer ticks. Sounds like a really good price on that. Was that a special deal or is that price generally available?
I purchased the rifle from a friend that I've known for about 12 years now. One of the most honorable White men I know and very knowledgeable regarding all things military, law, American and Southern history, and many other subjects.

He's a retired military pilot and served several combat tours in Vietnam. He was shot down once while on a recon mission but was rescued quickly. He flew commercial aircraft after retiring until he ran into problems due to his political beliefs. Many here can relate to this and I understand it from my own personal experience relating to my own professional practice.

Yes, I too think it's a great price and don't think he would have sold it to a stranger so generously. The ammunition alone if purchased retail in somewhere in the $700-$800 dollar range. Not sure what the scope would sell for but I would estimate a range in the $350-$500 range. Likely around $400 give or take.

He has another rifle that I'm interested in purchasing although I can't purchase everything I want just because I can. I've got a couple of upcoming network jobs that may allow for the purchase of the other rifle but it's a low priority. Certainly not a rifle like the Savage in this thread. It would really be a duplicate of another I own but not near the quality. Suffice to say it's a foreign made firearm known to give service under any condition unlike some American military firearms.

Last edited by OTPTT; November 10th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Old November 11th, 2008 #13
reactionary

Quote:
I'm looking into reloading. From what I understand I'll need a press, a set of powder scales, and a tumbler for cleaning spent brass.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/
http://www.rcbs.com/
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm (see links at bottom of page)
http://www.lewilson.com/
http://www.sinclairintl.com/
http://www.forsterproducts.com/
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Old November 12th, 2008 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

We got hunting up here, good hunting too. Don't do it myself, but have friends and relatives who do.

Interesting sign of the times: the usual rate for processing deer is $100; the other day I saw a sign for a new group which will do it for $60.

Old November 13th, 2008 #15
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
We got hunting up here, good hunting too. Don't do it myself, but have friends and relatives who do.

Interesting sign of the times: the usual rate for processing deer is $100; the other day I saw a sign for a new group which will do it for $60.
I humbly accept your invitation to hunt deer in the great state of Missouri. PM or call me and let's discuss the particulars. This might be a good time for you to put some protein in the freezer too.

By the way, I recently found out that my grandmother on my dad's side of the family was from Missouri. At least her family moved there from Germany. Maiden name was Waymeyer. Know any Waymeyer's up that way?

Old November 13th, 2008 #16
OTPTT
Banned

Thanks for the links. I've got a lot to learn regarding reloading.

Old November 13th, 2008 #17
reactionary

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I've got a lot to learn regarding reloading.
This will take you through it step by step:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=894640

Abbreviated but useful:
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html

Based on the range at which you will be shooting and what you will be shooting decide first on what bullet weight and type you need. Get a
reloading guide from the manufacturer whose bullets you will be using
(I like Nosler). Make sure that whichever bullet weight and shape you
choose will work with the twist rate of your barrel. Begin with the lightest
powder charge recommended and slowly work upward ascertaining which
charge yields the tightest groups. Fastest or most powerful is NOT always
best.

Old November 13th, 2008 #18
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionary View Post
This will take you through it step by step:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=894640

Abbreviated but useful:
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html

Based on the range at which you will be shooting and what you will be shooting decide first on what bullet weight and type you need. Get a
reloading guide from the manufacturer whose bullets you will be using
(I like Nosler). Make sure that whichever bullet weight and shape you
choose will work with the twist rate of your barrel. Begin with the lightest
powder charge recommended and slowly work upward ascertaining which
charge yields the tightest groups. Fastest or most powerful is NOT always
best.
I was given a crash course in basic reloading when I purchased my rifle and was given the 650 match grade cartridges to go with it. Each box is marked with all of the specifications and product that went into their creation. Weights, bullet manufacturer, type, weight, powder weight and type, cap, everything. A lot of information to process but it's going to be a hobby that I think I'll enjoy and that will be useful which always makes for a greater motivating factor.

Old November 13th, 2008 #19
Derrick MacThomas

How can anyone possibly derive any pleasure from killing an animal, especially a beautiful creature such as a deer?
To me that is sick and evil.
I am a keen shooter, but paper targets only . . . other than what was required of me by the army some years ago.
It does not take much courage to shoot an animal that cannot shoot back.
Rather than murder Bambi, I think that it would be a far more interesting and entertaining challenge to hunt the hunters.
Let's see how brave Bwana is when a 7.62x63 sails past his ear.
My money would be on him soiling his underwear and screaming for his momma.

Old November 14th, 2008 #20
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Quote:
I was given a crash course in basic reloading when I purchased my rifle and was given the 650 match grade cartridges to go with it. Each box is marked with all of the specifications and product that went into their creation. Weights, bullet manufacturer, type, weight, powder weight and type, cap, everything. A lot of information to process but it's going to be a hobby that I think I'll enjoy and that will be useful which always makes for a greater motivating factor.
I find reloading to be extremely fun and rewarding. There special satisfaction and confidence in knowing that every single round you're shooting has been prepped and loaded completely by you...and they are all 100% identical down to the single grain of powder.

Thread