VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 17th, 2006 #1
Robert Bandanza
Banned

Default Julius Evola - Europe's Revolt against the Modern World

Julius Evola - Europe's Revolt against the Modern World

The first political step in forging a united Europe would be the withdrawal of all European governments from the United Nations, a hypocritical organisation if there ever was.

The ground for a European initiative must be carefully prepared; but the problems of concrete political tactics fall outside the scope of this essay. Here we can only point to what we believe must be the form and the spiritual and doctrinal basis of united Europe.

'Federalist' and 'associative' solutions, economic and military co-operation— these are all the manifestation of presuppositions about the organic character of Europe (or the lack of it). The condition of a truly European entity must be the binding force of an idea and tradition with which Europe is irrevocably linked. Some argue that the nation state, being not divinely ordained but the creation of determined groups successfully rising to a historical challenge, is a model for the merging European nation. According to this view the spiritual precondition for a united Europe exists in the myth of a common destiny defended by the 'national revolutionary' groups of Europe. This view is inadequate. The birth of the European nations was largely the work of dynasties representing a tradition of loyalty to a particular crown. In any case, the factors which created the European nations have been the very ones which have maintained European disunity from the Hundred Years War to the present day.

Among those who possess a spiritual and traditional understanding of Europe we can distinguish between those who believe in an Imperium of the kind referred to above, and those who talk of Europe as a nation. The concept of nationhood is in my opinion inappropriate. The notion of European unity is spiritual and supranational. Homeland nation, ethnic group subsist at an essentially naturalistic 'physical' level. Europe (Europa una) should be something more than this. The old nationalisms and resentments are only grafted onto Europe when a particular national domination is imposed by one nation upon the rest of Europe. The European Imperium will belong to a higher order than the parts which compose it, and to be European should be conceived as being something qualitatively different from being Italian, Prussian, Basque, Finnish, Scottish or Hungarian, something which appeals to a different aspect of our character. A European nation implies the levelling and cancelling of all 'rival' nations in or beyond Europe.

So far as 'European culture' is concerned it is these days the stamping-ground of the pragmatic European, the liberal, humanist intellectual. His 'European culture' is an appendage of 'democracy' and the 'Free World'. In this sense 'culture' is the stock-in-trade of the so-called 'aristocrat of thought', in reality the clothing of the parvenu, his badge of success. A genuine aristocracy of the intellect would not in any case be adequate for the task in hand; the re-animation of the European will and the sustaining of a revolutionary elite who could make this a political possibility. What is more, every time that we try to give the notion of 'European culture' concrete significance, we seem to run up against innumerable 'interpretations' which leave us with nothing conclusive at all. Everyone has their own idea about what European culture is and many Europeans feel reticent or even guilty about championing it and so the parvenus can speculate to their hearts' content in the reviews and colour supplements about all the latest developments in this or that field of art in such a way that 'culture' becomes entirely divorced from the 'serious world', from what matters. Ironically, much of what the defenders of culture admire plays a major role in helping to bring about a spiritual crisis and lack of confidence in European culture.

The 'Westernisation' of the world has meant that this decomposition extends across the world—thus Europe, from illuminism to communism has become the breeding ground of the very forces which work to destroy everything which is specifically European.

We must create a 'unity of fighters'. That is a pre-requisite. To set a vision of the world and of Europe aside as 'irrelevant' would be to sink into the morass of political partisan politics, a cynical affair without identity, without spiritual meaning. A united Europe, without a communal spiritual identity and sense of direction would become just one more power bloc. In what way would such a United States of Europe be spiritually distinct from the United States of America or China or be anything nobler than the organisation of African Unity? Europe must not be a stage towards the Westernisation of the world but a move against it, in fact a revolt against the modern world in favour of what is nobler, higher, more truly human.

Julius Evola - United Europe: The Spiritual Prerequisite

http://www.oswaldmosley.com/people/evola.html

Old March 17th, 2006 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

A great selection of Evola. You've made a great start in one day at this forum Furor.

Old March 17th, 2006 #3
TowardWewelsburg

Very salient words from the Baron.

He is spot on in his analysis of "European culture" and its decline into modern abstraction; if we are to forge something higher, we must concern ourselves with that which has always been.

"There is a superior unity of all those who despite all, fight in different parts of the world the same battle, lead the same revolt, and are the bearers of the same intangible Tradition. These forces appear to be scattered and isolated in the world, and yet are inexorably connected by a common essence that is meant to preserve the absolute ideal of the Imperium and to work for its return." - J.E.

Old March 17th, 2006 #4
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Say does anyone have a link to an online text of "The Aryan Doctrine of Combat and Victory" by Julius Evola? I was looking for that unsuccessfully recently.

Old March 17th, 2006 #5
TowardWewelsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
Say does anyone have a link to an online text of "The Aryan Doctrine of Combat and Victory" by Julius Evola? I was looking for that unsuccessfully recently.
I'm not aware of an online version of that essay; I am familiar with it by way of the second Tyr journal, in which it was published as "The Traditional Doctrine of Battle and Victory." The journal is very much worth purchasing, despite the unfortunate omission of the word Aryan.

Thompkins and Cariou have a nice site, which from time to time publishes new English language Evola material:

http://thompkins_cariou.tripod.com/

Old March 18th, 2006 #6
Aryan Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowardWewelsburg
I'm not aware of an online version of that essay; I am familiar with it by way of the second Tyr journal, in which it was published as "The Traditional Doctrine of Battle and Victory." The journal is very much worth purchasing, despite the unfortunate omission of the word Aryan.

Thompkins and Cariou have a nice site, which from time to time publishes new English language Evola material:

http://thompkins_cariou.tripod.com/
I absolutely agree although I found the editors` reasons for excluding `Aryan` from the title insufficient and indicative of political correctness. A nice neo-folk compilation CD accompanies the book.
Intend to buy volume 1 soon.

Old March 30th, 2011 #7
P.E.
Geriatric Coalburner

Was looking for commentary on Evola, since he is in that rare camp of people who were on the 'trying to save the west' side of WWII, and survived afterward to still write his opinions (well, as best he could without getting arrested or killed).

Not too many people in that camp. Anthony Ludovici is another that comes to mind (another Nietzsche disciple), and their post-war writings do share the similarities. The voices of defeated men who spent their energies, lost the battle, and seek solace in their pens, sadly.

Maybe it's fair to say that these two men and a handful of others get as close as you could to those philosophers they sprang from if they (Nietzsche, Spengler, others) had lived to see WWII and the proceeding result on the West? Well, actually, Spengler did supposedly say just before he died that he'd be surprised if the Reich wasn't completely destroyed in 10 years, he saw the gang-up coming and knew the opponent had too much control over the other powers that could pose a threat (most key being America and England) at that point.

Amusing that one is an Italian citizen (Evola) and the other is an English citizen (Ludovici). I'm sure there were a lot of men of the same era and side that could have put similar or better post-war thoughts to paper in Germany or Austria had they not been under thought-crime jurisdiction and fear (that is, if they weren't killed in denazification or stuck in a gulag, anyway). Klages I think belongs in this same camp, but he knew he'd be in jail if he spoke his mind after the war.

Shame. Terrible shame.

I don't know. I'm still on the fence about Evola. I'm reading through Ride the Tiger at the moment, as it seems to be his post-war worldview. Sometimes I feel I agree strongly, sometimes I feel like I'm reading a guy who just did a gross of mushrooms and is running around his neighborhood naked saying "FUCK IT!".

I'll just say that, at least at the moment, he seems a bit too other-worldly in comparison to his claimed contemporaries and influences. The whole Kali Yuga thing and all this and that, and the fact that the guy wrote books on 'magic' or whatever. I just see the practicality that Emperors and real-world leaders can relate to in writings of people like a Spengler or a Nietzsche, and then Evola - who claims influence - is just blowing all this smoke and mirrors stuff that sounds borderline like a Tony Robbins seminar. I just bought 'The Complete Evola' and I got a 25% off coupon for the firewalk, and some healing beads!

I wonder if he was 'Riding the Tiger' by trolling the bookshelves.

Figured I would bump this topic rather than create a new one to see if anyone else has opinions on the man.

Last edited by P.E.; March 30th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Old March 30th, 2011 #8
andy

I am not a fan of the harry potter tendency in "the movement" But the below link has quite a good profile of the lunatic and his work

http://www.oswaldmosley.com/julius-evola.htm

Chase them into the swamps

Old March 31st, 2011 #9
zoomcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I am not a fan of the harry potter tendency in "the movement" But the below link has quite a good profile of the lunatic and his work

http://www.oswaldmosley.com/julius-evola.htm
quoted from the article:

This would require taking on the most destructive processes of the modern era, whilst protecting one's own soul and spirit, in order to use them for liberation. Evola explained this simply by stating, "this would be like turning a poison against oneself or like 'riding a tiger', a term adopted from the Indo-Aryan or Hindu tradition. "... Although the Kali Yuga [Hindu Dark Age] is an age of great distractions, those who live during it and manage to remain standing may achieve fruits that were not easily achieved by men living in other ages".

Old July 7th, 2011 #10
P.E.
Geriatric Coalburner

The article in my signature may clear up some fogginess surrounding Evola for those who read his work with skepticism and confusion as I previously did.

As for the man himself, I humbly recant my previous slights against him, and am wholeheartedly in agreement with the position of the author of the article, Mr. O'Meara, and should like to say that for whatever mass institutionalized education is worth (arguably if anything, and more arguably it is a negative in its current format), men like him (O'Meara) would serve as ideal mentors to young whites than any negative monstrosity of a 'professor' you will find heading up 'history' or any other pointless class for the future wannabe men of letters, who are actually our modern Hebraicized (feminized) 'men' who are sitting on their computers at night with a picture of J.K. Rowling as their 'hero' on their desktop, hoping to write a big hit on their blogspot that 5 people visit before they go work at their second fast food job to pay for all of the shit in their life they really don't need, but are told they need.

Last edited by P.E.; July 7th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.

Thread